50 something women beginning to run

Hi,

I am almost 53 and beginning to get serious about running. Any other women out there with similar age and goals that would like to join me for some mutual support?

Replies

• headlock_lynn
    headlock_lynn Posts: 79 Member
    I would love to run (I'm 56) but my legs are too stiff and I can't seem to run at all. I do bike every day usually about 12 miles. Don't understand why my legs don't work for running. I walk lots too. Good luck with the running.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    well - define 'serious'. I'm not planning on trying out for the Olympics or running in the Boston Marathon but have started the C25k prog with a friend. We 'run' together at least one day a week, i do the others by myself. I am NOT an athlete- all this is new to me & I need all the support I can get- also need a push off the couch sometimes .. ok well most of the time
    let me know
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 352 Member
    would love to run....don't know how to start....don't want to kill myself in the process......any help would be appreciated
  • I'd love to join you. I'm a little younger than you at 46 (47 next month.....eeek!!!) but have just started jogging for the first real time in my life, excluding 1-2 week tries twice in my life prior! I am doing C25K and am on Week 6. I am amazed at how I am managing to get through each workout yet each workout had me thinking that it was going to kill me and that this is the one that I won't be able to finish. I'm rather disappointed that it is so hard for me both endurance wise and speed wise but I am finally starting to feel like a runner and I honestly cannot wait to get out and do my next workout! I would love to have some support and support you as well. If you'd like, please send me a friend request. Good luck!
  • catdoc1
    catdoc1 Posts: 227 Member
    I 49 1/2, just signed up for a Half Marathon in October and in week 2 of Jeff Gallagher's coach-2-half training.

My last half marathon was 5 years and 50# ago. I'd LOVE to have some online running buddies!

Laura
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    50 isn't a reason to not start running. I have a book about people's first times doing Ironman and there is a big section on people who started running and doing triathlons after the age of 50.

I say: take it easy in the beginning to ease into it (just like anyone else not used to running) and enjoy!
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member
    Why don't you start a group (op) and i am sure we would all join in? Maybe log miles done daily? Encouragement?
  • zabbyvinny
    zabbyvinny Posts: 55
    I am 48 and already my hips and knees are stiff - there is arthritis in my family. I have just joined a walk, jog run group where we do a minute walking, a minute jogging and 30 second sprint. We achieved 5k in 40 minutes on our first try and the aim is to reduce the time each week. It worked for me,
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    I'll be 54 in October. I run (more of a jog I'd say), do kickboxing workouts, interval training, strength training, yoga, spinning classes, ect. 50 is a perfect time to start! Definitely listen to your body though. At our age 'rest days' become way more important than they used to be!!
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    47 just getting back into running and plan on doing ironman cozumel when i'm 50
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Omg 50 this year and the clock is tick tick ticking while I gather my courage
    I've been thinking about this for a while. I now have my sports bra to control the ounce so that's one huge obstacle out of the way.

The next is to overcome my fear of falling *kitten* of tip, being seen out in public and having the stamina to do it for a reasonable length of time.
    I have a chronic back problem that gets aggravated now and then but has been really good for most of the past year. So once I'm over this recent bad back episode I'm up for giving it a go.

I've been waiting to go out with someone else, but like most things in life you have to bite the bullet and do it for yourself by yourself.
    However having Pals on this site means that's not the case. Support and company is here :D
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    I'm 47 and just started running last summer. I was NEVER a runner!!! I did the C 25K program on the treadmill and outside. Took me a while to love running, but I do now. I'm now running 3-4 times a week, with a long run on weekends. I plan on running in a 1/2 marathon later this year or in Jan/Feb!!!
  • lilylight
    lilylight Posts: 128 Member
    Hi, I'm almost 53, too, and just started the "couch to 5 k" program today. I notice that someone else started a group for people starting c25k now -- check it out. Also, feel free to add me anyone who is in a similar boat.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,333 Member
    well - define 'serious'. I'm not planning on trying out for the Olympics or running in the Boston Marathon but have started the C25k prog with a friend. We 'run' together at least one day a week, i do the others by myself. I am NOT an athlete- all this is new to me & I need all the support I can get- also need a push off the couch sometimes .. ok well most of the time
    let me know

My definition of "serious" is being consistent with running, for me that is 3 times a week right now. So, you qualify! :happy: I'm thinking about starting a group so we can all support one another. If I do I'll be sure to post it on here so you can all join in. Good luck everyone.
  • softballsharie
    softballsharie Posts: 154 Member
    My mom just started the C25K program with me, and she's not 50 yet, but she will be in November. She inspires me every day. :-)
  • lauralind5
    lauralind5 Posts: 133 Member
    The Couch to 5K type programs are designed for those of us who are new and slow to running. I can add that the slower you take it the better it will be in your body! AND I cant stress enough to buy proper shoes in the beginning (speaking from very recent experience) Good luck !
  • robin49505
    robin49505 Posts: 38 Member
    I turned 50 at Christmas - started running soon after. I agree with the comments on the "good shoes". I started very slow - 4.3mph, then 5.0 mph, now I'm at 5.3. I warmup, run a mile, then interval to get 3 miles in. I haven't had any issues regarding injury.......I believe the key is to take is slow and work your way up (faster and long duration). One thing I noticed very quickly is how effective it is in regards to burning fat - that's a huge motivator, obviously! Good luck to you and if you want to friend me, please do!
  • quilteryoyo
    47 just getting back into running and plan on doing ironman cozumel when i'm 50

That is an awesome goal. I ran a 10K trail run when I turned 50 and thought that was impressive. :laugh:
  • quilteryoyo
    I did start a group with the same name as this thread. Check it out. And, when you see it you will know that I need help in managing the group. I'm new to the whole group thing and not as computer savvy as I need to be. :laugh:
  • ddmjwm29
    ddmjwm29 Posts: 5 Member
    The trick is to take it slow at out age. I am 53 and started training for a 2 mile run that was last weekend. When you start, walk more than you run (or jog). And consistently and slowly increase the interval times that you run. If I can do it, anyone can! And it was such a great feeling to know that I "dit it" - ran the whole two miles with no walking (wasn't for sure up until that morning if I could do that)!. Got a medal for finishing 1st in my age group and did better than quite a few runners younger than me. It's a great sense of achomplishment and I wish that for you!

BTW - next on the list is a 5K in October. Have to increase my running time and do some hills for that one. Got my work cut out!