Rowing

Options
What's your 500 meter, 2000 meter and 5000 meter rowing time?

500 meters- 2:21

2000 meters- 9:50

5000 meters- 23:33

I row using a concept 2 and these are my averages and not fastest times...

Replies

• Elimax217
    Elimax217 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I too use the Concept 2 but I focus on how many calories i am burning. for instance today I reached my goal of 40 min and burned 500 calories. Ill be sure to start tracking my times as well to see were I stand. But keep up the good work!
  • kaylarachellee
    kaylarachellee Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Today I did the 5000 m for my first time, which was 23 minutes and I burned 337 calories. :)
  • Elimax217
    Elimax217 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Awesome! congrats! I sometimes find it helps to change hand position if I want to go for extended periods of time maybe that will help with your meter times.
  • brennamurphy42
    Options
    I row for my college, so we have test pieces every season and we also use the Concept 2.

I don't actually know what my 500m PR is, because we don't do that test, but I'm sure it's under 2:00.
    2000m - 8:14.
    And we don't do 5000m, we do a 6000m and my PR for that is 26:37.
  • McFelix57
    McFelix57 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I rowed in college, and while it is a great workout, almot everyone who uses a rowing machine has incorrect form. This is a good short video to watch about proper form. Honestly with correct form, while it is weird to learn at first, it makes the movement SO much easier. Not trying to be snotty, just trying to be helpful, as it really will feel better once you are not wasting extra energy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhGfdYlXqBI

For comparison my most recent 500m was 1:46, which I only know because it was part of a CrossFit workout recently. It's been awhile since I've timed any other distance.
  • kaylarachellee
    Options
    I rowed in college, and while it is a great workout, almot everyone who uses a rowing machine has incorrect form. This is a good short video to watch about proper form. Honestly with correct form, while it is weird to learn at first, it makes the movement SO much easier. Not trying to be snotty, just trying to be helpful, as it really will feel better once you are not wasting extra energy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhGfdYlXqBI

For comparison my most recent 500m was 1:46, which I only know because it was part of a CrossFit workout recently. It's been awhile since I've timed any other distance.

I row in Crossfit too, I had a bad form, but now its good! ;)
  • kaylarachellee
    Options
    I row for my college, so we have test pieces every season and we also use the Concept 2.

I don't actually know what my 500m PR is, because we don't do that test, but I'm sure it's under 2:00.

Wow you are fast!
  • kaylarachellee
    Options
    Awesome! congrats! I sometimes find it helps to change hand position if I want to go for extended periods of time maybe that will help with your meter times.

I got blister too, so changing hand positions should be good for that too! Thanks!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    What's your 500 meter, 2000 meter and 5000 meter rowing time?

500 meters- 2:21

2000 meters- 9:50

5000 meters- 23:33

I row using a concept 2 and these are my averages and not fastest times...

Pretty much exactly the same as yours. I used to row competitively and trained as a coach, but haven't done a lot of real rowing since uni 13 years ago. Ergs just aren't the same, but in lieu of real boats will have to do!
  • brennamurphy42
    Options

Wow you are fast!

Thank you! I'm hoping to get better this season...my 2k time isn't where I want it to be.
  • brennamurphy42
    Options

I got blister too, so changing hand positions should be good for that too! Thanks!

And if you get really bad blisters, there's a bunch of weird tricks you can do to help them heal. Putting honey on them for about 20 minutes and then washing it off is really good. Hydrogen peroxide will clean them out really well and help them heal faster, but is extremely painful (just a warning!). Taping your hands with athletic tape while you row until the blisters heal helps too.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I don't remember my times, but I am not as fast as you guys! I think my 500m time is about 2:35 or so. My next rowing goal (this month) is to row 10000 meters. I'll either try it tomorrow or Wednesday. My current top distance is about 8000 (in around 45 minutes).
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    500 metres 1:34.3

2000 metres 7:07

5000 metres 18:45

10,0000 38:40.4
  • McFelix57
    McFelix57 Posts: 28 Member
    Options

I row in Crossfit too, I had a bad form, but now its good! ;)

Awesome! I love hearing that!
  • Jcolonel49
    Jcolonel49 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    2000m- 10:50
    5000m- 26:05

Just started, and I do not know what to put as my effort for logging in the exercise.
    Light or Moderate?

Any suggestions?
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    2000m- 10:50
    5000m- 26:05

Just started, and I do not know what to put as my effort for logging in the exercise.
    Light or Moderate?

Any suggestions?

medium :)
    for a starter your times are good
    focus on the s/m (stroke per minutes SPM) for a starter this number should be 18-30 range continously.aim to keep this number stable during your workout.dont jump from 18 to 22 and then back to 19..try to keep it a set number e.g20 and work your way up from there

for high intensity the SPM should be 30+ .My range is 34-38 I usually aim for a 34 for my 1000m then for 32-31 for my 2nd 1000m :)
  • dazza4063
    dazza4063 Posts: 1
    Options
    3000 m = 12 m 30 level 9 concept 2
    5000 m = 21 mins
  • srv524
    srv524 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    2k - 6:43
    5K - around 19min

just kidding, those were my college numbers

2k - probably 730

5k - probably 22
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Recent best (in my fifties) for 2000m is 7:50 and for 5000m is 20:49.6 - my goal was 20:50 so that .6 was important! :smile:

The Concept2 web site has a calorie calculator - the calories displayed on the rower itself are based on an assumed weight of 175lbs so the calculator lets you adjust for your actual weight.
    http://www.concept2.co.uk/indoor-rowers/training/calculators/calorie-calculator

There's also a VO2 max calculator on that site where you can plug in your 2000m time.