Half Marathon Advice

Options
So I have been challenged to run a half marathon in September. I have always wanted to do this but have never thought I could. I am thinking of trying it. I have just gotten back into running and am shocked at how far I can run. So far I have done 10km, but I am working my way up slowly. I have a schedule to get myself worked up to it. But I need some encouragement from people that have done it and some advice in how to change my mindset. Actually any advice would be great. Where to train, what to wear, what to eat, how to run hills? Anything?

Replies

• cgrandner
    cgrandner Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Did my first half marathon last year. Look up Hal Higdon's training schedule (posted free at his website) . He has a couple novice schedules that make it easy to work your way up the distances without overtraining. I will be doing my second one this September.
  • PirateLookingAt40
    Options
    I hope I can help you. The best advice is try to find a running partner. I ran a marathon before I had kids and joined a running group to train for it. Since then I have run several 1/2 marathons and always run with someone. It will help get you out and training when you do not feel like it and during a race it seems easier to keep going with a buddy.
    Do not put too much pressure on yourself. If you have to walk some during training or the race it is o.k. It is better to cross the finish line on your own and not missing it because the medic team is taking care of you.
    Where did you find your training schedule? I would say to not run every day and if you can mix it up with a spin class or riding your bike, your knees and legs will thank you later. We only ran for 4 days during our training, the other were cross train and rest.

Good luck!!
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    If you are sarcastic and enjoy a humor filled book check out Dawn Dias' "The Nonrunner's Marathon Guide for Women". I read it throughout my HM training and am now re-reading it for my FM in November. Best advice would be don't change anythin on HM day. Keep your same shoes you are used to, your same sports bra/shirt, etc...same foods. And be thankful for what you have accomplished. Be proud of the long run completed and not just focused on what the next run will be...

Good luck!!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    So I have been challenged to run a half marathon in September. I have always wanted to do this but have never thought I could. I am thinking of trying it. I have just gotten back into running and am shocked at how far I can run. So far I have done 10km, but I am working my way up slowly. I have a schedule to get myself worked up to it. But I need some encouragement from people that have done it and some advice in how to change my mindset. Actually any advice would be great. Where to train, what to wear, what to eat, how to run hills? Anything?

I've followed the Higdon program for my last two half marathons. Wear comfortable workout clothes, train hills weekly, take along a mp3 player for your half (if permitted), I took a Gatorade chew every 3 miles and it helped me between water stations, but most of all, have fun! Half marathons are addicting! Good luck! I also trained with Strava for Running, it's an excellent Android app, keeps track of mileage, calories and pace.
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I found this site and have been following it. I am debating doing a half marathon in October. I am doing a 15k in a few weeks and this training schedule helped me get there as well.

http://www.marathonrookie.com/half-marathon-training.html

This one I also liked - I just had a hard time finding time running 5 days a week. 4 days worked better for my schedule.

http://www.halfmarathons.net/training_tips_schedule_beginner_runners.html

Good Luck!!
  • Teresa712
    Teresa712 Posts: 32
    Options
    This was a great book!!!!
    I laughed through the whole thing! It was also informative and helpful.
  • 29forever
    29forever Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Fabulous advice. Great site you referenced! I am totally going to go buy the book alparrish0907 referred to. I have a group that I meet with on Saturdays to run with but I need to find someone that can run with me the rest of the week. Thanks for the references to sites and apps as well. I knew I could count on people here to give great advice. Thanks again!
  • 29forever
    29forever Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Do you recommend eating before you run? If so, what? I worry about having to go to the bathroom when I run so I don't eat before I do but I wonder if I would have more energy if I do. I hope that isn't too much information.
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    Are you asking if you need to eat before the half, or in general. Before the half - yes but in general before your runs you may or may not. Depends on time of day, nutrients prior, and distance. Always test out foods on lighter runs so you know (most likely) how they will affect your body and if you need to head home or to the nearest bush :) you won't have that far to go on short runs.

I'm glad you are getting the book :) I have read it a few times now :)
  • McFelix57
    McFelix57 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Another recommendation for Hal Higdon's training program. I didn't strictly follow his program, but I made sure I did one long run per week. My longest run before the actual half marathon was 10 miles, but I still made if through 13.1 and was thrilled with my time. I just told myself on each practice run that I would run a little longer distance than the last one. For the hills, i just told myself to keep running, even if my pace slowed.

During the half, I had so much adrenaline and there was so much excitement that it really helped keep me going. I started to slow down around mile 11 and had to take a few walking breaks, but I got through it and have never been so proud of myself!

You can definitely do it! Just remember that awesome saying - no matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everyone on the couch.