Muscle Soreness Recovery

Options
Any tips on muscle soreness?

I just started working out with a personal trainer after a year off of exercising. AI went through an intense session on my lower body on Wednesday, was so so so so SO sore on Thursday and Friday (like wobbly walking down the stairs sore). Was worried I was pushed too hard, but then today (Saturday), it's only lightly sore and really that "pleasant" (I worked out and I can tell it) sore, so I'm happy with that now.

Did a triceps/shoulders/chest workout yesterday (Friday) and today I'm super tight and sore. I have to do a TON of repeated stretching just to be able to touch my face or hold a glass and lift it to my lips right now. I can stretch it out and it'll be acceptable (though still very tight and a bit of limited mobility) for 5 or 10 minutes, then I need to stretch again. I have faith that it will be like my legs and I'll be better in a couple days.

Any tips to shorten/eliminate the first couple days of painful soreness and tightness?

And yes, I know that pushing myself hard will make it hurt, but that is why I'm paying for a PT. I want to be pushed, I want to go harder than I'd do by myself. So yeah, pain is acceptable, just looking to shorten it down a bit.

Replies

• Manderator
    Manderator Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Man, I hope you get some answers cause I wanna know too! I'm ubber jealous that you have a PT!!!! Lol Good luck!
  • stormguy
    stormguy Posts: 24
    Options
    PT is interesting... First workout I felt like the people you see on biggest loser. I'm dying, sweating, telling my legs to lift the weight one more time but nothing is happening. PT is there pushing me to do another, then another, then another. But, since I'm paying him I want him to push me to my real limits and get all the gains I can out of my time in the gym!
  • classic_1
    classic_1 Posts: 147
    Options
    I'm no expert but I either eat a really healthy meal w/ a mix of hi carbs and protien...or drink a ensure...or since I'm doing P90X i'll drink there recovery drink...I do either one with in very 1st hr after the workout bc thats when your body is primed to receive nutrients...That generally reduces soreness.

I know that feeling of being extra sore and tight four days after the workout...But thats my advice. *shrugs shoulders* i hope that helps some.
  • stormguy
    Options
    Thanks... I forgot about getting some nutrients right after a workout. I tend to be almost nauseous after a hard workout, so food is the last thing from my mind.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Supplement with magnesium at night to help you relax. Foam rolling or flexing ontop of a medicine ball can help relieve knots
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    You'll be really sore the first few workouts. Then, muscle soreness. You'll feel it but it won't be restrictive.

Nutrition is very important to maximize benefits. Most people incorporate a meal with plenty of protein or post workout shake following workouts.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    http://www.dymatize.com/products/recovery-amino-acids/detail/52/elite-recoup-advanced-recovery-system-30-serving/

I swear by this stuff, to stop soreness before it even starts.

The first time I did deadlifts I could not breathe I was that sore. I use this after every work out and I can push myself harder because I don't worry about soreness.
  • skybird455
    skybird455 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I find protein right after ward helps me a ton. I have been sore this week as I had last week off of lifting and I had forgotten how sore it can make you....protein, stretching, and warm baths have really helped...also continuing to move throughout the day and not sit down and rest must keeps those muscles moving. DONT give up.....that will pass after the first week or two then it will just be every now and then one group of muscles will get sore.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting back to the gym!

This is normal if you're just starting and pushing hard. Make sure your nutrition is balanced, but there is no immediate solution to soreness.

Besides the soreness, intense strength training can be exhausting. Most people who start it will stop. If you are walking around in a brain fog, or begin to dread going to the gym, take a step back. Consider ramping up the workout so you stick with it. Good luck!
  • stormguy
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. Legs feel great today, just slightly sore, but good enough I have no doubt a leg workout tomorrow would be fine. Arms are another story, still restricted mobility and painful to stretch. If it goes like my legs I'll be to a "good" sore by tomorrow, so keeping my fingers crossed.

I did reschedule my PT session for biceps/back till Wednesday. I don't have faith I will be mobile enough with my upper body to give my full effort in biceps/back if I was to try it tomorrow. Still trying to figure out the recovery time stuff. When I worked out solo, I never pushed THIS hard, so 2-3 days rest and I couldn't even tell I worked out. The PT has definitely worked me harder than I imagined, looking more like 5 days rest to recover a group under some good pushing.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Foam roller!

Here's a couple videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bte6rg995ZI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2115egX0x4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG4qyfwfsfw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2oe0OUUvJ4

It looks weird, and it can hurt, but it hurts like myofacial massage hurts, and when you stop, everything relaxes.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    My preference is to start slower, so I still feel like exercising the next day, but you didn't ask that. :smile:

The traditional remedies may help. Heat, especially right after the exercise: a hot shower, bath, sauna (although be careful, that makes some people feel faint or nauseous), gentle stretching a few hours later and the next morning(s), topical analgesics (Bengay or other commercial preparations, usually with menthol, salicylate, capsaicin, NSAIDS http://www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/booth/painpag/topical.html), and over the counter pain killers. I've heard that aspirin (if you can safely take it) right after the exercise helps prevent soreness. Another remedy with mixed results is a massage. A deep or hard massage works the muscles and might make things worse.

Another source is WebMD (http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/art-sore-muscles-joint-pain). They recommend indirect ice over heat. (edit:) Oh, and they say eat more protein.

Good luck and congratulations on increasing your exercise!
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    You should feel a lot better after about 2 weeks... when people go right into a tough regiment after a long time of not working out, they tend to get DOMS something fierce, but fortunately that phase only lasts for a little while :)
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    http://www.dymatize.com/products/recovery-amino-acids/detail/52/elite-recoup-advanced-recovery-system-30-serving/

I swear by this stuff, to stop soreness before it even starts.

The first time I did deadlifts I could not breathe I was that sore. I use this after every work out and I can push myself harder because I don't worry about soreness.

So true!.... This is the bomb! I was always sore and now with this....TADAM! seriously major difference. Takes at least 90% of my pain away. Also, taste freaking good too (for once). I love the punch one and just add water so no fat,no calories just muscles soreness candies :)
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Using a foam roller does wonders for my soreness after a big lifting session.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    When that's happened to me, pretty much nothing helps. Heat, a bit, but really just waiting it out. And 'vitamin I', though it's not even supposed to work (and could even be bad for recovery. But I'll take even the tiny placebo effect, when it's that bad.)

(For next time: http://70sbig.com/blog/2012/01/the-repeated-bout-effect/ )
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options
    What has worked for me is this:

Ice packs
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Natural Whey Protein (at least twice a day...especially right after working out and one in the evening before going to bed...it works on the muscles and joints overnight)
    Recovery formula (I drink Endurox R4...stuff is awesome)
    Triflex joint support

I started off getting my supplements from GNC but I have since seen the light and go straight to Amazon for everything, including my liquid vitamins that help increase energy.

Erica
  • bluzatopia
    Options
    Carbs and protein but you dont need a lot and make sure they are whole grain and lean
  • bluzatopia
    Options
    foam rollers are also great but not recommended for everyone
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I found a stretching yoga on dish ondemand on the magrack channel I feel kind of ridiculous during some of it but that stuff works like muscle relaxers.