40 calorie soup (& VEGAN & chili & other variations)!

Options
Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
(OOPZ It should say 45 calories :] lol so eat like a tbsp less...LOL sue me! My friends always called it 40 calorie soup.) So I was given this recipe after I tried it a few years ago while pregnant and loved it! I asked for a couple years before someone actually remembered to send me the recipe, but I figured I would share it with everyone. :] There are many variations and it is very low calorie, so eat to your hearts desire! <3 I use vegetable broth instead of chicken. This can totally be made vegan. I used normal pots and they were smaller so I just cut the recipe into parts and used the vegetables I like....I added more and less of things as I seen fit as well and it was delicious.

Soup Diet Basic Recipe and Variations

... the Basic Soup yields such a large quantity — to make sure you have enough to enjoy all week — that it calls for a 12-quart stockpot for preparation. If you don't have one, not to worry — the ingredients divide easily in half and the soup can be prepared in 2 large saucepans or Dutch ovens, depending on what you have in your kitchen cabinet.

Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 50 minutes
Makes: 28 cups

1 lb. carrots, sliced
3 med. onions (1 1/2 lbs.), chopped (4 c.)
4 lg. stalks celery, sliced
2 lg. cloves garlic, crushed with press
2 cans (28 oz. each) whole tomatoes in juice
1/2 sm. head green cabbage (1 lb.) thinly sliced (6 c.)
3/4 lb. green beans, trimmed and each cut into thirds
1 can (48 to 49 oz.) chicken broth
6 c. water
Salt and pepper
3 med. zucchini (1 1/4 lbs.), sliced into half-moons
2 bags (6 oz. each) baby spinach leaves

1. Coat 12-quart stockpot (or 2 large saucepans) with nonstick cooking spray. Over medium-high heat, add carrots, onions, celery, and garlic; cook 8 minutes or until vegetables soften, stirring occasionally.

2. Add tomatoes with their liquid, breaking up tomatoes with side of spoon. Add cabbage, green beans, broth, water, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper; heat to boiling over high heat, stirring occasionally.

3. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to high; stir in zucchini and spinach and heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes or until all vegetables are tender.

Each cup: About 45 calories, 2 g protein, 9 g carbohydrate, 1 g total fat (0 g saturated), 4 g fiber, 0 mg cholesterol, 410 mg sodium.

Try one of these seven simple variations:
Minestrone Soup
Mexican Chicken Soup
Greek Fish Stew
Southwest Chili
Thai Shrimp Soup
Goulash
Red Beans and Rice Stew

Soup Diet: Minestrone Soup

To 2 c. Basic Soup, add 1/2 c. rinsed and drained canned white kidney beans (cannellini); heat to boiling. Stir in 1/2 c. whole wheat fusilli or rotini, cooked as label directs; heat through. Stir in 2 Tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese and 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil. Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. additional Parmesan or Romano to serve.

Soup Diet: Mexican Chicken Soup

To 2 c. Basic Soup, stir in 3 oz. skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch chunks 1/3 c. fresh or frozen corn kernels, and 1/4 tsp. ground cumin; heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 3 minutes or until chicken is cooked through, stirring occasionally. Stir in 3 Tbsp. coarsely crumbled baked tortilla chips (1/2 oz.). Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro. Serve with lime wedge.

Soup Diet: Greek Fish Stew

Cut 1 sm. red potato (3 oz.) into 1/2-in. dice. Place in saucepan with water to cover; heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5 minutes or until tender. Pour off water. Add 2 c. Basic Soup and 4 oz. skinless catfish or cod fillet, cut into 1-in. pieces; heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 3 minutes or until fish turns opaque. Gently stir in 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh dill. Sprinkle with 2 Tbsp. crumbled feta cheese to serve

Soup Diet: Southwest Chili

In nonstick saucepan, cook 4 oz. (1/2 c. packed) ground turkey breast, 1/2 tsp. chili powder, and 1/8 tsp. ground cumin 3 minutes or until turkey is browned and cooked through, stirring to break up turkey. Stir in 2 c. Basic Soup, 1/2 c. drained and rinsed canned black beans and 1/4 c. salsa; heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5 minutes to blend flavors. Sprinkle with 2 Tbsp. shredded reduced-fat Cheddar to serve.

Soup Diet: Thai Shrimp Soup

In bowl, cover 1 oz. rice noodles (linguine style) with hot water. Let stand 10 minutes; drain. Heat 2 c. Basic Soup to boiling. Stir in 4 oz. shelled and deveined med. shrimp, 12 halved snow peas, a pinch ground red pepper, and soaked noodles; heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 to 3 minutes or until shrimp turn opaque, stirring occasionally. Remove saucepan from heat; stir in 1/4 c. light coconut milk, 1/2 tsp. grated fresh lime peel, and 2 tsp. fresh lime juice.

Soup Diet: Goulash

In nonstick saucepan, cook 4 oz. ground turkey breast, 1/2 tsp. paprika, a pinch caraway seeds, and a pinch salt 4 minutes or until turkey is browned and cooked through, stirring to break up turkey. Stir in 2 c. Basic Soup; heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5 minutes to blend flavors. Stir in 1/2 c. egg noodles, cooked as label directs; heat through. Remove saucepan from heat; stir in 2 Tbsp. reduced-fat sour cream.

Soup Diet: Red Beans and Rice Stew

In saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook 2 oz. turkey kielbasa, cut into 1/2-in. pieces, with 1 sliced green onion (white part only; reserve green part for garnish), until sausage browns. Add 2 c. Basic Soup, 1/2 c. rinsed and drained canned red beans, 1/2 c. cooked brown rice, and 1/8 tsp. Cajun seasoning; heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5 minutes. Sprinkle with reserved green onion. Serve with hot sauce.

Replies

• deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Yuuuum thanks for sharing!
  • nopudgepoot
    nopudgepoot Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thank you for sharing!
  • Verity1111
    Options
    YW! If at least one person enjoys it then I'm glad I shared it. lol. I already have the ingredients for mine. I haven't had it in a while now. <3 Simply because I was too lazy to cook "real" food lately. Lol
  • CdnPgnMom
    CdnPgnMom Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! I love to cook but soups have always been a problem for me. Thanks so much for sharing! :D
  • Verity1111
    Options
    This is awesome! I love to cook but soups have always been a problem for me. Thanks so much for sharing! :D
    TY and YW. I usually have no idea how to cook and I'm lazy and found this very simple! LOL. I am one of those people who don't like to stand their an watch their pots (it never boils if you do you know!) and so I set this on a medium heat and left it. I would just check every maybe 5-10 minutes until the veggies started to soften and waited until I liked the consistency. You can flavor it with herbs & whatever you want of course and it is really yummy with hot sauce and/or cajun pepper for those who like spicy.
  • jennifershirsch
    jennifershirsch Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yum! Thanks for sharing.
  • Flora1961
    Flora1961 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Thanks I love having so many variations !!!
  • verapamil
    verapamil Posts: 94
    Options
    bump! I love soup but mine always just tastes like water with vegetables swimming in it :laugh:
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Oooooh.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i love soup, so i will be giving these a try. thx!
  • rayita001
    rayita001 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mollyvon
    mollyvon Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Will definitely give some of these a try. Thanks,
  • BrendaHyde
    BrendaHyde Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try all the variations. Thanks for sharing.
  • Unbruisedpeach
    Unbruisedpeach Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • PinkOrangeYellow
    Options
    bump... :flowerforyou:
  • whutzup1
    whutzup1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing looks yummy and healthy! :smile:
  • lil_bit_crazy
    lil_bit_crazy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Yum! Making this Thursday so I don't have to cook dinner for 5 all weekend!
    :D
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
  • Ravenesque_
    Ravenesque_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Profiled.