INSANITY fit test... should I choose another program?

I did the INSANITY fit test today, and here are my results:
Switch Kicks: 70
Power Jacks: 30
Power Knees: 60
Power Jumps: 24
Globe Jumps: 5
Suicide Jumps: 6
Pushup Jack: 4ish (I can't execute a pushup, even a NORMAL pushup, so I guess it's really ZERO)
Low Plank Oblique: 12

I did okay for just starting in the first half, but the last 4 or 5 exercises KILLED ME. Do you think I should continue with this program, or should I find another, easier program until I'm slightly more fit (aka able to do one pushup at least.)

Replies

• newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    you might as well try the first workouts and see how you feel.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    looks good to me. its up to you though. I say give it at least a week or two. When you do the videos go at your own pace, take breaks when you need to, drink water. And push your self. You don't have to go for as long or as fast of them. Get the workout you want.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    keep in mind insanity is not easy for any of us, even the ones that are the most fit. most of us struggle through it. if you feel like you are getting injured or it's really hard after giving it a few weeks then i woudl say to stop but that's up to you. you know yourself best.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    keep in my that even the models and fitness people on all fitness videos also had a day when they couldnt do a push up either. getting fit is a personal thing and nothing wrong with not being as fit as someone who has been doing it longer than you.

Since you already have insanity I would follow through and do as much as you can without over doing it. you dont need to keep up you just need to keep doing it. stick with it. before you know it, you will improve and feel great.

keep a log with notes of how you feel, and your progress. its all good.

have fun!
  • nuttyduffy
    nuttyduffy Posts: 255 Member
    Stick with it I'm on day 40 & couldn't do a push up when I started. Don't worry Shaun T will make you stronger and build you up so that you can do push ups in ways you didn't think imaginable.

It'a great & I Love It ;0)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    I'm going to say yes because if you're not fit enough then it's very likely you also lack the control to be able to execute the plyometrics exercises safely and with good form. I'm not the cheerleader type who says YOU CAN DO IT! I'm the voice of reason letting you know this program was designed for people who were already fit, looking to get fitter, who needed minimal instruction on how to be able to perform these advanced exercises properly. If that doesn't sound like you, look elsewhere for safety's sake.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,218 Member
    your fit test is actually quite good. you will see major improvements in the next few weeks. think of it as a challenge and work towards beating your old record each time. I struggled with the last few as well as i was exhausted by the time i finished. however, i have improved my scores with every fit test. Stick with it, dont get discouraged.
  • ramgi
    ramgi Posts: 196 Member
    Hi! I think you should stick with the program. You'll get better every two weeks. You rocked the first part. Give your body time to adjust. I personally think Tonya (the lady) lies about her power knees.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    I sould say stick with it.your numbers are better than mine when i started! Its intense but youcan go at your own pace and take breaks. Even shaun says that duringworkouts. You will get even better! You do not need to be an athlete to start this.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    I did the fit test about a week ago. My results were similar/ worse than yours.
    In order:
    57, 36, 62, 23, 5, 0, 9 (girlie press ups), 29

I looked at the first DVD (my boyfriend had to set so I didn't buy it) and I thought it loomed boring. After reading all these posts though- I might give it a go.

Have you started it yet? If so, how did you get on?
  • Eddie274
    Eddie274 Posts: 156
    I've just tried the first cardio dvd and only got half way through, but I seriously enjoyed it and will be sticking with it.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    I'm going to say yes because if you're not fit enough then it's very likely you also lack the control to be able to execute the plyometrics exercises safely and with good form. I'm not the cheerleader type who says YOU CAN DO IT! I'm the voice of reason letting you know this program was designed for people who were already fit, looking to get fitter, who needed minimal instruction on how to be able to perform these advanced exercises properly. If that doesn't sound like you, look elsewhere for safety's sake.

Im adding this in there again cause its good advice. As with most, if not all exercises, form is more important for total muscle and bone health than doing it wrong and potentially injuring yourself. For instance landing softly is not just a term he throws out there. It s important for joint, tendon and ligament health. And its harder to do than landing like a brick. If you find yourself doing that its time for a break.
  • I decided to give it a shot. Day one wasn't TOO bad... but what should I do when they do something I just can't do? I mean, if I just sit there when they do pushups, I'll NEVER be able to do one. Today I just held a plank when I was supposed to do pushups... is that enough to make me slightly stronger and able to do an actual push up?
  • hummerseeker
    hummerseeker Posts: 17 Member
    Day two is better. Don't give up. You WILL get stronger. You don't have to keep up with the peeps on the video. Just do what you can do, and over time, you will improve. Guaranteed. I am starting month 2 tomorrow!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    That's not bad at all. Everyone has to start somewhere! The fit test killed me the first day, too. I'm in week 3 and just took the second fit test and I've improved SO MUCH!

Try doing modified push-ups until you're strong enough to do real ones! I have to drop to my knees and do push-ups from there sometimes. It's better than nothing!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    If you did stellar on the fit test I'd say find a harder program. You're supposed to struggle on the fit test. I've Insanity 2x thru, and the fit test was absolutely murder the first time I tried the program.

Go for it, and give it till the end of week 2 before you make up your mind. The first week I was tapping out around the end of the 2nd group of exercises. I just tried to get a little further each day till I could finish each dvd. Of course, by the time I had it all figured out, Month 2 started.....
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,364 Member
    I decided to give it a shot. Day one wasn't TOO bad... but what should I do when they do something I just can't do? I mean, if I just sit there when they do pushups, I'll NEVER be able to do one. Today I just held a plank when I was supposed to do pushups... is that enough to make me slightly stronger and able to do an actual push up?

perhaps knee pushups or wall pushups?
  • Thanks, I'll try knee push ups tomorrow
  • ramgi
    ramgi Posts: 196 Member
    Did you stick with the program? I'm just curious.
  • wow way better than i did on my first fit test and i was so sore the next day i almost couldn't move and steps killed me but i kept on pushing through and just started my second week and i am not sore like i was and i still have to take more breaks than they do but i still get a great work out and i went from doing zumba twice a week to this so if i can keep going i believe anyone can