HRMs

Options
So, I'm really looking into getting a heart rate monitor because I have heard that they are the easiest way to calculate calories burned. However, I know little to nothing about them. How they work, best brands, how much, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• EllienLyla
    Options
    I have a Polar f6. It was $80. I really love it. last year when i bought it, I asked the same question here on the site and a lot of people hd and loved thier polars. so I took that and got one. and Ive been very happy with it. you change the user settings strap on the chest strap and hit start. It was simple and very accurate. :happy: hope this helps
  • RobinRayn
    RobinRayn Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    mine was 39 at walmart it has a calorie counter so you put it on and start the calorie counter when you start your workout and then throughout your workout it will tell you how many calories you are burning, If you have the money for a nice one then I recommend one that you don't have to push the button on it for it to read your heart rate. It is super awesome though. Now I know exactly how many calories I burn during my workout. Sometimes I wear it to work and can see how many calories I lost during a 9 hour shift.
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Last year I bought a Mio from Wal-Mart. It didn't have the chest strap and it said I burned way more calories than I actually did, so I wouldn't recommend one without the chest strap. (The straps take a little getting used to, but after just a few workouts you won't even know they're there!!) I heard a lot of good things about Polar HRMs and I decided I wanted one of them. After reading ALOT of reviews, I decided I wanted the F11. It was about $150.. works great!! But looking back on it, I would have probably gotten the F6 because it's cheaper. I don't use all the festures the F11 has like I thought I would... but it's still a really nice watch! I'd just go with something cheaper if all you're looking for is something to calculate calories burned and everything.
    Mine tracks all workouts (number of workouts and lengths of each), all calories burned (by day and week), max and average heart rate for each workout, % calories burned from fat, and all sorts of other stuff. But those things are all I use... I don't know how much the other Polar HRMs feature... I also know that you can download something on your computer so that you can track everything on there, but I haven't tried that yet. Hope that helped you some!!
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Hi! I actually just bought one off of e-bay! I really didn't want to spend big $$ on one, so I found one with good reviews and that I can program in my current weight, height and age. I should have it next week-can't wait to see how it works! :bigsmile:
  • ZeldaCat
    Options
    I would really like to purchase a HRM as well - I went on the Polar website but they have so many different options that I have no idea which would be best for me! All I know is that I want one with a chest strap...any ideas?
  • meglide
    meglide Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I concur on the Polar recommendation, I currently have Polar F6 and I really like. I've only had 6 weeks, but I had a Polar F1 (most basic you could get) that I used 3-4 times a week on average for 6 years before the battery in the chest strap started to give out.

The Polar F6 will run you about $90-100 and it's fairly simple to use, will calculate calories, max heart rate, min heart rate, minutes in your zone, etc. I turned off all the audible alarms because I can't stand it beeping at if my heart rate is little high or a little low.

The bottom of the line Polar is now called Polar FS1 believe it's just like the old F1 I used to have. It was dirt simple, one button to push, push it and it's on, shows instant HR, push it when you're done and it shows your time and average HR. Cost for that most basic one is $40-50. But if you want to save a few bucks and go with the most basic one as long as you get average HR and time spent working out, you can go to a website like ...

http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/?page_id=483

to calculate calories burned.

I definitely recommend getting one that has a chest strap.

hope this helps,
    Mike
  • jfilon
    jfilon Posts: 80
    Options
    I just got my Polar FT 40 this week and. . . well, I have fallen a little in lust.
  • redneckbrett05
    Options
    I have a suunto T3c i paid $150 and I really love it i use it every day when I run and workout. I also have a timex triathon hrm, I use it occassionally the chest strap is not as comfortable as my suunto which is very comfortable
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I bought the Nike Imara. I like it a lot, but still need to get used to the chest strap, which reminds me I'm wearing it. One thing I hate is that my car interrupts the signal and I have to restart it once I get out of the car, however it does remember my previous stats.
  • DeepSeaDoc_Wife
    DeepSeaDoc_Wife Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I just got New Balance HRT Fit Komen Heart Rate Monitor. Its a watch. I just got it yesterday and just after a day I know how to use it and easy to program. I love it. It's pink too. lol.
    I bought it at Kohl's for 50.00.

http://www.rei.com/product/794089