Can I lose stomach fat without watching my macros?

A few months ago I was 5'6" and 123 pounds. (I've managed to fall really off track and gain all the weight back... but I'm determined to lose it again lol) Even though I was at a low weight, I still had a lot of stomach fat (basically the only place I gain weight). I counted calories but didn't watch my macros.

My question is, if I kept continuing to lose weight just calorie counting, would that stomach fat eventually go away? Or do I actually have to go and track my macros?

I'm just so terribly lazy about watching my macros, especially since I can't see them on the iphone app and that's where I log into MFP the most...

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Could you?

Yes.

Would you likely do it faster/more effectively by tracking macros?

Probably.
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    That's actually a good question. I've been losing weight, but very few inches in that time... and I feel like my stomach hasn't changed at all..
  • imthelobster
    imthelobster Posts: 179 Member
    You can see your macros on the phone app, if you go to the Daily Tab at the top.
  • imthelobster
    imthelobster Posts: 179 Member
    Could you?

Yes.

Would you likely do it faster/more effectively by tracking macros?

Probably.

This. Also, exercise helps.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Why don't you want to track macros? It's not that hard.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    I think of course you can if you are overweight. But if you wanna see your abs, you have to watch your macros.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member

I'm a vegetarian and I can say its fairly challenging for me to hit my macros.
  • Why don't you want to track macros? It's not that hard.

I'm in this exact same boat.
  • Hikaru37
    Hikaru37 Posts: 177 Member
    At the risk of sounding like a dope....what are macros? :S
  • Rae6503

Well then you two really are special snowflakes. :wink:
  • Rae6503

Carbs, protein, fat. You should eat at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body fat in order to maintain as much muscle as possible while losing weight (your body will burn both fat and muscle in a calorie deficit). You should also eat at least 0.3 grams of fat per pound of body weight to maintain good health. For the most part, as long as you eat those minimums, and eat less calories than you burn, you'll lose weight and end up with better body composition (more muscle less fat) than you would if you didn't pay attention to protein and fat. But of course hitting protein is really difficult for vegans...
  • BlondeQtTexas
    BlondeQtTexas Posts: 97 Member
    From my personal experience cutting out wheat really helped. I lost 5 inches off of my chest (where your bra sits on your rib cage), 5 inches off of my waist and 5 inches off of my hips from replacing wheat with brown rice.

There are delicious brown rice breads and cereals at your local health food store.

For me it worked like gang busters. I think too many carbs cause big bellies and muffin tops.
  • From my personal experience cutting out wheat really helped. I lost 5 inches off of my chest (where your bra sits on your rib cage), 5 inches off of my waist and 5 inches off of my hips from replacing wheat with brown rice.

There are delicious brown rice breads and cereals at your local health food store.

For me it worked like gang busters. I think too many carbs cause big bellies and muffin tops.

What foods did you cut out? I'm not exactly an expert at this lol.
  • BlondeQtTexas
    BlondeQtTexas Posts: 97 Member
    From my personal experience cutting out wheat really helped. I lost 5 inches off of my chest (where your bra sits on your rib cage), 5 inches off of my waist and 5 inches off of my hips from replacing wheat with brown rice.

What foods did you cut out? I'm not exactly an expert at this lol.

Foods made of wheat like bread, cereal, crackers, pasta. I replaced them with similar foods made of brown rice. You can get tasty bread made of brown rice, puffed brown rice cereal and you can also find pastas made of rice in the Asian isle of your super market.

It is also helpful to cut out foods made of dairy.

I lost 30 lbs in 3 months doing this.
  • ilovedogs
    ilovedogs Posts: 77

Carbs, protein, fat. You should eat at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body fat in order to maintain as much muscle as possible while losing weight (your body will burn both fat and muscle in a calorie deficit). You should also eat at least 0.3 grams of fat per pound of body weight to maintain good health. For the most part, as long as you eat those minimums, and eat less calories than you burn, you'll lose weight and end up with better body composition (more muscle less fat) than you would if you didn't pay attention to protein and fat. But of course hitting protein is really difficult for vegans...

So since I am 165lb should I be eating 165g of protien? This sounds quite a lot.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member

So since I am 165lb should I be eating 165g of protien? This sounds quite a lot.
    One gram per pound of body fat, not per pound of weight.

Most nutritionists recommend .8g of protein for each kg of weight (or .37 per lb for the metrically challenged).
  • Rae6503

Opps. Per pound of LEAN body mass. So if you are 25% body fat, you are 75% lean body mass. 165*0.75=123.75, which is about what I eat. It's not hard if you aren't vegan. I often do one protein shake a day but can also hit that with food alone (like yesterday).
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member

One gram per pound of body fat, not per pound of weight.
    Lean mass, not bodyfat.
  • lifes_revenge
    lifes_revenge Posts: 49 Member
    Look up vegetarian protein supplements. I use hemp protein but am about to switch to pea as it has a higher protein content.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member

I'm a vegetarian, and I hit my macros pretty well. Assuming you go over on carbs and are low on fat and protein- you probably need to think about your diet differently. Protein is my #1 priority- starting with my first meal of the day, my goal is to hit/exceed 1g/lb LBM of protein. After that comes fat- I add peanut butter and coconut oil to meals to bump up the fat, cook with olive oil, etc. I've given up any low/nonfat dairy- only the real stuff. Still, fat is generally my biggest challenge. Once I've hit my protein, and made a good run at fat, I can eat whatever I want for the rest of the day. I like hitting protein early and then not having to stress at dinner and evening snacks about it. It might sound challenging- but it becomes habit pretty quickly and it's really not that stressful or restrictive. I hope that helps!