Question about P90X

Options
How do you estimate the calories burned on each of the dvd's? And what do you log them under? I don't even know where to start!!! Any help would be great! Thanks!

Replies

• daburgfam
    daburgfam Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had the exact same question.....I bought a heart rate monitor/calorie counter watch from Sportline. It was about 30 dollars at Walmart. I wear it when I do the Power 90 workout and when I'm finished, it will tell me how long it took to do the workout, and the calories I burned. And you can check your heart rate at any time during the workout to see how you are doing. It has been really helpful to me. Then when I get go to log it on myfitnesspal, I just go under cardio and add it where it says "exercise not listed". I just log it as Power 90X, then I put the time and the calories I burned. It worked for me.

Hope that helps!
  • meglide
    meglide Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    on page 4 section 3 in the P90X Nutrition Plan it reads "Add the calories required for your exercise needs, which we have calculated at 600 calories per day for the P90X program"

That's about right especially when you're first starting out. I did Cardio X this morning and burnt 700 calories according to my HR monitor, but I just completed a round of INSANITY (another BeachBody program) and I was pushing it, Tony was explaining the next exercise and I was already doing the moves. Plyo-X is by far the most calorie intensive of the P90X workouts. I think even beginners would burn 800 calories on that one.

I think that 600 calorie statement on page 4 is used to calculate daily calorie intake and there is one rest day in the week for P90X, so for MFP I suggest putting down 700 calories every time you do a video (excluding ARB-X by itself that is), because 7 times 600 is the same as 6 times 700 as far as estimating weekly calorie burn.

hope this helps,
    Mike
  • richcat22
    Options
    Sorry to sound really stupid but what is P90X? Thanks
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Which one would you choose if you had to...P90x or Insanity? I have been tossing the idea in my mind about both of these and cannot decide what's the difference and which one would be better... ?
  • meglide
    meglide Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    richcat22,

can't believe you haven't at least channel surfed past the P90X infomercial at some point, the thing seems to be on all time, especially during non primetime weekends, anyway you can take a look at the infomercial at

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=42283184

april_mesk,

Guess it all depends on where you're at. To try to make a long-story short, P90X is a better all around program, it's more adaptable especially if you're not used to regular intense workouts. I personally wouldn't recommend INSANITY to anyone who hasn't been working out (fairly intensely) 4-6 times a week for at least a year. It is flat out extreme.

I've been working out fairly intensely 4-6 times a week for some 7 years now. Used to run 6 days a week, averaging 15-20 miles a week. Then I went to running one day, cycling the other. Last 2-3 years, my wife has got me doing the beachbody workouts. We started with regular P90 (no-X), have done the P90 master series, P90X, and now INSANITY. BTW my wife is a coach with Beachbody, so we've got pretty much everything they offer. If you want something from Beachbody, drop me a message and I'll help you out. They offer good products but their customer service leaves something to be desired.

All that said, I was scared for the first month of INSANITY, every workout was both a physical and mental challenge. I've done pretty well. I'm about 15 lbs down from when I started (Aug 24th), lost over 1.5 inches in my waist, and best as I can figure from the calipers gone from about 16% body fat to 10% body fat. My goal is somewhere in the 7% range, so I figure about 8 more lbs from a second round which I was going to start this week, but I've been sick for the last 5 days, so today is the first day back to somewhat normal.

Mike
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Which one would you choose if you had to...P90x or Insanity? I have been tossing the idea in my mind about both of these and cannot decide what's the difference and which one would be better... ?

If I had to choose just one, it would be p90X. P90X is much more well-rounded than Insanity. I almost want to say you should be required to do p90x before you do Insanity because the muscle strength & stamina you build during the X is put to good use in Insanity. Also, if you're new to the programs I feel that the X has a more thorough nutrition guide that is great for someone new. P90X uses weights, bands, chin-up bar & the workouts are an hour long. It has cardio, strength work, yoga, stretching...very well-rounded. Insanity uses only your body & is more like all old-school cardio drills.

Hopefully that all makes sense...?
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    i have never burned 800! wouldn't that have been nice! i'm usually 300ish for most cardio based ones. in fact, it says something in the nutrition sxn about 600 being an estimate so i use 300 for my purposes.

i use a hrm to get my cals. and for logging exercise i hit the button "add exercise not listed" and create my own entries--such as, cardiox, core, abripperx, walk outside, treadmill at x mph....

hth
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options

If you are new to exercise, I would start w/ P90X. It is a really well rounded program with cardio and weight training. It has worked AWESOME for myself and my dh. I've been using it on & off for over 3 years. I've also completed Insanity and it's another incredible program!

Let me know if you have ANY questions, my contact info is in my profile! :bigsmile:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    i have never burned 800! wouldn't that have been nice! i'm usually 300ish for most cardio based ones. in fact, it says something in the nutrition sxn about 600 being an estimate so i use 300 for my purposes.

i use a hrm to get my cals. and for logging exercise i hit the button "add exercise not listed" and create my own entries--such as, cardiox, core, abripperx, walk outside, treadmill at x mph....

hth

I have a Polar F6 HRM to check my calorie burn. The only way that I can burn 800 calories in a workout is a long run. I guess one drawback to being in great cardio shape is that you burn less calories. :laugh: I think Plyo is the highest cal burn of the P90X workouts.
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options

hth

I have a Polar F6 HRM to check my calorie burn. The only way that I can burn 800 calories in a workout is a long run. I guess one drawback to being in great cardio shape is that you burn less calories. :laugh: I think Plyo is the highest cal burn of the P90X workouts.

thanks! i feel better now. :wink:
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    meglide/biloxibelle/jessmomof3:

Thanks for all of your information. This has helped me. I have been working out pretty intensely but, still feel that P90X and Insanity are definitely that next step up that I think I need right now. I have a billion different workouts that I have done at home. The things I have done and have combined to name a few, I own a Bowflex so I use this/treadmill/kbells/kettlenetics/Firm Videos with weight (which can be very intense believe this or not but, very old school, Jillian Michaels 30 day shred (just finished this challenge), Zumba, ActiveX . I go snowmobiling in the winter, kyak in the summer/swim, etc.

Yeah, I think I am going to try the P90X. I may wait until after xmas, though where it is a bit much right before xmas to spend on myself.

I appreciate all of your responses and you may see me doing the P90x by January. I am certainly going to continue with my workouts and keep trying to lose more weight. I have about another 20lbs or so to go. I have lost about 65 so far so I am doing something right, I guess. I have always loved workout out though, once I really get into it. I agained the weight with my daughter but, am only a few pounds away from prepregnancy. I know I can do it! Sorry, for the longwindedness...