Heart rate monitors..

Options
What are the best types to get? Ive been looking at a heart monitor watch. But it says that after exercise you put your finger on the sensor to measure your heart rate and then it works out calories burned from how long youve exercised. But what if you do a long walk where its flat, then you walk up a big hill right at the end, so your heart rate is higher. Wouldnt that give a wrong number as your heart rate wasnt that high for the whole walk?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    It's better to get one with a strap. Polar Ft4 or ft7 are the most popular. I have an FT7, paid about $75 online.
  • ginajones87
    Options
    It's better to get one with a strap. Polar Ft4 or ft7 are the most popular. I have an FT7, paid about $75 online.

So how does that one work differently? Can you get ones that measure your heartbeat through the exercise and calculate your calories while exercising?
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Definitely get one w/ a chest strap. They're more accurate. I have a Polar FT60 (Polar brand seems to be the most popular). And I think you get what you pay for. They can be pricey, but WELL worth it. Mine has heartrate, calories burned & many other things on it.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

So how does that one work differently? Can you get ones that measure your heartbeat through the exercise and calculate your calories while exercising?

That's exactly how a strap works. It reads the electrical signal from your heart for a continuous count. Remember though, they are designed for cardio.
  • jokersrs
    jokersrs Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have a cheaper one from Pyle (got it on amazon) and it works pretty well. Has the chest strap and calculates calories, max heart rate etc. It doesn't save them so you can log it or has GPS built in, which you can get on higher end models but I like mine.

Also, I've noticed that while I'm on the cardio machines at the gym, they'll read the data being transmitted from my chest strap and display my heart rate on their machines without me having to hold on the hand sensors.