WHEN DO YOU STOP YOUR HRM?

Options
Just curious...do you count calories burned as when you finish working out hard? Or about 5 min later when your HR is somewhat back to normal?

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    The moment I finish I stop it, nothing after.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I usually keep it on for about five minutes after exercise to see how long it takes my heart rate to come down. Some times I forget to take off the chest strap. My main concern is with wearing out the transmitter battery.

There's no magic or trick to it.

I NEVER PAY ATTENTION TO THE CALORIES BURNED GUIDE ON THE HRM. IT IS MEANINGLESS.* I USE THE HRM ONLY TO DETERMINE HOW MY HEART IS RESPONDING TO EXERCISE, ESPECIALLY DURING INTERVAL WORK.

If not meaningless, not very reliable, so why bother?
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    That's when I have been stopping mine...but then someone (who acts like a know it all) :grumble: says I need to wait a bit. Just needed reassurance that what I was doing was ok :happy:

Edited to say: I stop mine right after a workout AND if this person's delivery was better I would accept the recommendation
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    When I stop moving I stop it. If doing high intensity like running or aerobic exercise, it is a good idea to still keep moving to cool down and slow down your heart rate gradually.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I usually keep it on for about five minutes after exercise to see how long it takes my heart rate to come down. Some times I forget to take off the chest strap. My main concern is with wearing out the transmitter battery.

There's no magic or trick to it.

I NEVER PAY ATTENTION TO THE CALORIES BURNED GUIDE ON THE HRM. IT IS MEANINGLESS.* I USE THE HRM ONLY TO DETERMINE HOW MY HEART IS RESPONDING TO EXERCISE, ESPECIALLY DURING INTERVAL WORK.

If not meaningless, not very reliable, so why bother?

Just curious, why do you feel it is not reliable??
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    I usually stop it after I'm through folding up my mat and putting my weights, etc., away. Mine has a recovery mode so that you can gauge your recovery period.
  • jessicas30
    Options
    I would say that is you are relying on it for a calorie burned you would stop when you are done your work out. But I would include any cool down done. For the C25K I stop after the 5 min cool down at the end.
  • annahiven
    annahiven Posts: 185
    Options
    I stop it when I am finished. I know there is more of a burn during the cool-down, but I figured it's best not to count that... Give myself a bit of a buffer, I guess.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    As soon as my workout is finished.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    After I stretch I stop my HRM
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    The moment I stop also.......
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Usually within a couple minutes.
  • XxGemStarxX
    Options
    Wow good question:happy: I stop mine right after my workout/stretch
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I stop it right away when I'm done too. If I have some type of cool down, I leave it on for that but then I turn it off right away.
  • Angelie28
    Angelie28 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    A min after, by then my heart rate is back to normal pretty much
  • Jewels_Ka
    Jewels_Ka Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You know, when I go to the gym I always bring my HRM. However, I use it just until i hit my callorie goal. So if i goal for the day to burn 700 cals that is when i stop it. Wether HRM spot on accurate or as some people say unreliable chances are they are a great etimate of your work out. Whatever i do after my calorie goal per work out is a bonus. I dont log it in to MFP or eat them back. Just what the goal is for the day....
    I just wonder how is it HRM can be used to accurately pin point HR and everyone seem to rely on it for accurate HR reading but when it come to calories all of a sudden its unreliable. Calories burned calculated using all the info you input into your watch prior to use. So if you think that calories burned are not to be trusted then how can one trust it to read accurate HR??? its either you watch is working or it does not. cant be flip-flopping like that.
  • Hayesgang
    Hayesgang Posts: 624
    Options
    I set out to jog for a specific time/distance, I turn it off then cool down or when we stop flowing in yoga~I don't count my cool down.

EDIT: When I put my personal information into my HRM, I subtract 10lbs (I'm 135lbs and I put 125)~I do trust my HRM burns, however I'd rather be safe then sorry.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I stop it as soon as I am done working out. I used to let it go until my HR returned to a resting rate or close to it, but that was when I also figured in the amount of calories I would have burned just doing nothing. So for example, if I worked out for an hour and my HRM said I burned 400 calories, I would only count 300 because I would have burned 100 just sitting around breathing. But then that became a demotivater to have to work all the way to 400 calories and I only got to count 300. So now I just turn it off when I am done.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Your HRM counts calories like you're moving. If you aren't moving, it's still counting like you are.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I stop it when it drops too low to be considered in zone.