i need a hrm really cheap-suggestions?

Options
i cannot afford over 50 dollars and im being told i need to get a hrm. if anyone knows of a GOOD one for really cheap please tell me. if its good enough ill just have to find a way to get it.

Replies

• lilmzzgreeneyez
    lilmzzgreeneyez Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    nobody has any ideas>
  • Venturin
    Venturin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I don't think there are any good "really cheap" options, sorry.
  • BeautifulKristen
    Options
    there is one at walmart for less then 40.00

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sportline-S12-Any-Touch-Heart-Rate-Monitor/16537227

this is what i have. still gotta figure out how to do it tho.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    i cannot afford over 50 dollars and im being told i need to get a hrm. if anyone knows of a GOOD one for really cheap please tell me. if its good enough ill just have to find a way to get it.

you can go to walmart and find some really cheap ones but they don't have a chest strap and they aren't accurate.
  • cadency
    cadency Posts: 51
    Options
    Check amazon. Sometimes, they have good deals.

Otherwise, my next question is... who is telling you that you have to have an HRM? Cause you don't. In fact, I use mine all the time and one of the gym trainers today at the gym was telling me that they don't recommend them for much because it's not really accurate when people vary so much.
  • MrsJaimeW
    MrsJaimeW Posts: 54
    Options
    I got mine at Target.. its a new balance. Was on sale for $60
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Timex-T5G941-Heart-Monitor-Watch/dp/B000F5WB66/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340499202&sr=8-1&keywords=timex+heart+rate+monitor

This is what I use and so far so good. I use it 6 days a week and have for the past several months with no problems.
  • IAMDDAY
    IAMDDAY Posts: 771
    Options
    I have a TIMEX one that l love and it was only 70 bucks at best buy
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Just use MFP calculations. You will get what u pay for at $50. Check out Amazon for the Polar FT4. Sometimes when companies have new models the old models' prices are greatly reduced. Good luck!
  • lilmzzgreeneyez
    lilmzzgreeneyez Posts: 133 Member
    Options

Otherwise, my next question is... who is telling you that you have to have an HRM? Cause you don't. In fact, I use mine all the time and one of the gym trainers today at the gym was telling me that they don't recommend them for much because it's not really accurate when people vary so much.

pretty much everyone if i mention i am burning "so many" calories doing whatever im doing they tell me "unless you have a hrm then you are probably overestimating that" i mean idk i am using mfp calculator and the calculator on the machines at the gym. the machines vary by alot honestly and i just want to be as accuate as possible
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Why not save for a couple of months and get a good one? I used the estimates on MFP for months and just ate 50-75% of my exercise cals because they are usually a little high.
  • cadency
    cadency Posts: 51
    Options

pretty much everyone if i mention i am burning "so many" calories doing whatever im doing they tell me "unless you have a hrm then you are probably overestimating that" i mean idk i am using mfp calculator and the calculator on the machines at the gym. the machines vary by alot honestly and i just want to be as accuate as possible

An HRM is definitely a lower estimate of MFP calorie expenditure. I spent 100 on mine from Amazon. Guess it'll depend on your preference and what you want to do. If it'll help you stay on track, then definitely get one! There's just not a lot of "100% accurate" tracking :)
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Just use MFP calculations. You will get what u pay for at $50. Check out Amazon for the Polar FT4. Sometimes when companies have new models the old models' prices are greatly reduced. Good luck!

I second this... You get what you paid for. Originally my plan was to get a fitbit ( Which I did) and a cheap HRM at Walmart.. but several people told me not to waste the money on Walmart HRM.. bc they are crap. lol So I never got one...
    I use MFP calcs for now... but I am still looking for HRM... I went on Bodytronics today and have a Polar FT4 sitting in my cart for 60$... use code POPO ( I think) for 5% off. I'm still shopping for a better price... if I find one I'll let you know!
  • mdebbie1026
    mdebbie1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I would suggest saving your money till you can buy a better one. Polar FT4 and FT7 are both good. UMM MFP calculations and gym machines are usually very exaggerated. I nearly cried the first time I used my FT7, and found that instead of 700-800 calories I was really burning less than 300, but weight loss has improved and as I near my goal, I have found that my HRM is priceless:) Hope this helps.
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I go with polar. They been around for awhile but they ain't cheap. I had good experiences with them. When it comes to my health, I don't skimp.

http://www.polarusa.com/us-en
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    Options
    I have heard you get what you pay for...so I am guessing there isn't one.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Figure out what models you'd like to have & search for them on eBay. I got a brand new New Balance N4 for $26. Much better than $70! Works great. Might have to be patient for the right auction to come along, but worth it if you're trying to save money.

I was going for either a Polar or the New Balance - searched for auctions with sellers with good feedback, who would take returns if there was a problem, and that the item was brand new and came with instructions. Had a bunch of both models on my watch list, and only had to wait about a week before I got the New Balance for a good price.
  • ber3023
    ber3023 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    best prices I've seen were on this site...
    http://www.bodytronics.com/
  • henryfunderburk
    Options
    I bought a sportline hrm at walmart. It works well. The instructions are a little difficult. I called their customer service. They were friendly, helpful,:happy: and led me through the use of it and I really like it. It does have a chest strap which gives continuous monitoring.