Raw veggies?

Options
Wondering what are the best raw veggies to eat? I love getting the mixed trays at the grocery store. Grape tomatos, cauliflower, broccoli, celery, carrots. Are these good to eat while trying to lose weight? Other veggies that are good to eat? Thanks.

Replies

• Josephina57
    Josephina57 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    any and all (non-starchy) vegetables are good. Go at it.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    i think all raw veggies are good

my favorite are snow peas!

something that i recently started to eat was mini cucumbers. that way you don't need to cut them. just eat them whole!

cherry tomatoes are simple too

you can also chop up some peppers (green red yellow, whatever)
  • Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    Options
    You could try fennel (or as some call it, anise). Tastes like mild black licorice (which I LOVE).
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Sugar snap peas (also called snap peas) are awesome. They're crunchy and a little sweet, and you won't miss any dressing or condiments when eating them.
  • holdingsteady1120
    holdingsteady1120 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love raw zucchini with a little balsamic dressing...Yum! Also red, orange or yellow peppers with hummus.
  • BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    Options
    I can't eat any of them raw,,, yuk,,,
    the lady who mentioned fennel, that's interesting,,,
  • Saiklor
    Options
    Ooooh! I'm a *lady* now! :-)

Anyway, with fennel just cut off the leafy bits and wash the outside of the fennel well. Cut off the stem/core at the bottom and slice it into whatever sized pieces you like. I prefer mine thin sliced when I eat it raw, but if you're bbqing or roasting it you'll want to make them the same size as whatever else you're cooking so they'll take the same amount of time.

Enjoy!
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Ooooh! I'm a *lady* now! :-)

Anyway, with fennel just cut off the leafy bits and wash the outside of the fennel well. Cut off the stem/core at the bottom and slice it into whatever sized pieces you like. I prefer mine thin sliced when I eat it raw, but if you're bbqing or roasting it you'll want to make them the same size as whatever else you're cooking so they'll take the same amount of time.

Enjoy!

fennel is gross, try at your own risk
  • annttvldz
    annttvldz Posts: 21
    Options
    Mmm, veggies are wonderful! We live surrounded by farms and the local family product stand is open 7 day a week! It's smack dab in the middle of home and work! I'm there 2-3 times a day. One my table today is tomatoes, squash, lettuce, baby red potatoes, and my favorite SWEET PEAS! In fact, I ate so many today I kinda feel sick and look a little green :) They ate only good for about 2 weeks so I'm
    taking advantage :)

And don't forget fruit! We don't grow a whole lot if fruit around here (canalope is our specialty!), mostly imported but still yummy and nutritious!

Eat up!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I love raw broccoli with yogurt and peanuts.

Raddishes come in many flavors and are much tastier than they used to be. I find strong flavors really hunger satisfying.

Shredded cabbage is surprisingly satisfying - drizzle with balsamic vinegar.

My kids eat raw brussel sprouts. Go figure. Make sure you chew carefully, as you can choke otherwise.

I've recently decided I love raw carrots. The big ones, not the tiny pseudo baby carrots, which tend to be tasteless.

I have several raw food cookbooks. They give a whole different way of 'cooking' that I have never used before, but have found declicious. My kids love it - husband too.

We put a small bowl of small raw veggies and/or nuts on the dinner table every night. It keeps me, at least, from taking seconds, because I munch on that while I'm chatting instead. Everyone else munches them too.
  • Saiklor
    Options
    Fennel tastes like black licorice, as stated. If you hate that flavour then fennel is probably not for you. :-) But to each their own, I love the stuff (too bad it's not as easy to find as apples or cucumbers!)
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    You could try fennel (or as some call it, anise). Tastes like mild black licorice (which I LOVE).

I'm trying some of this!! thanks for your post.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I love raw carrots and grape tomatoes. I also like to dip the raw carrots in hummus.
  • adbohls
    adbohls Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I like to load my salads with all kinds of veggies, but don't like them separately. I enjoy the variety of flavors when I mix them. I prefer them cooked though and with the new Steam bags for the microwave, they are easy peasy to cook. My favorite though is probably broccoli. I also like spinach and carrots.
  • Paiche
    Paiche Posts: 92
    Options
    Raw veggies are great but remember to eat a LITTLE fat with it so your body can better absorb their nutrients! Vitamins for the most part are fat soluable, so have a little cheese or cottage cheese or italian dressing :)

I LOVE raw bell peppers, grape tomatoes, asparagus (lightly cooked) carrots, sugar snap peas :) mmm!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I forgot my newest favorite - jicama! Sliced or diced - alone or in salads.
  • enchantedbunny
    Options
    Fascinating! I've never tried fennel raw but I love it sauteed (not the healthiest preparation, I know).

Ditto on the jicama recommendation! I love it raw, julienned, and with a squeeze of lime. So refreshing!
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Broccoli is best eaten cooked b/c it is easier to digest and your body gets more out of it for that reason.
  • sexybebe2012
    Options
    What is Jicama? I love snap peas, too. I love mostly any veggy and I'm glad someone mentioned the steam bags. I have not thought about using them. Thanks.
  • bahsukh
    bahsukh Posts: 19
    Options
    How many ounces of baby carrots are ok? Are they high in carbs?