okay...how BAD is diet soda?

Options
Alrighty...so...I don't drink much soda. I never really have but...

A couple of times a week I'm craving something SWEET. Like, really sweet. And the only thing I've found that'll work (and prevent me from grabbing chocolate or ice cream or any of the other bad stuff sitting in the office breakroom) is a diet Sunkist (Mmmm...caffeine too!) or a diet Rootbeer.

I've heard so many negative things about diet sodas (ie: artifical sweetners)- but...but...

:(
Help!

How BAD is it to have one or two a week?
And if it's horrible...does anyone have any other suggestions to curb the sweet-tooth? (berries etc just don't cut it...I've tried! SF jello comes close...but it's still SF)

Replies

• jenners22
    Options
    Alrighty...so...I don't drink much soda. I never really have but...

A couple of times a week I'm craving something SWEET. Like, really sweet. And the only thing I've found that'll work (and prevent me from grabbing chocolate or ice cream or any of the other bad stuff sitting in the office breakroom) is a diet Sunkist (Mmmm...caffeine too!) or a diet Rootbeer.

I've heard so many negative things about diet sodas (ie: artifical sweetners)- but...but...

:(
    Help!

How BAD is it to have one or two a week?
    And if it's horrible...does anyone have any other suggestions to curb the sweet-tooth? (berries etc just don't cut it...I've tried! SF jello comes close...but it's still SF)

It's bad. If you have to have a soda...make it a regular soda and add a few more minutes to your workout.
  • nopogal
    nopogal Posts: 162
    Options
    I know how you feel. I rarely drink any kind of soda, but once in a while, I get a craving. It is REALLY bad for you..it's all chemicals. Here's a pretty good article off of Yahoo. http://health.yahoo.com/experts/eatthis/22630/the-truth-about-diet-soda/

However, I don't want it to become a "forbidden fruit" so I allow it once in a while. It's easy for those things to become habit, though. Good luck!
  • Advengirl
    Advengirl Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It's bad. If you have to have a soda...make it a regular soda and add a few more minutes to your workout.

::sigh:: Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. But...but...regular soda isn't so great either.
    I have maaaaybe one a week- but noticed I've been moving towards the 'definite' one a week category...and sometimes two.
    I don't like it.

Maybe I can trick myself with a shot of OJ instead. (ooo...or a spoonful of frozen concentrate!)
  • Advengirl
    Options
    I know how you feel. I rarely drink any kind of soda, but once in a while, I get a craving. It is REALLY bad for you..it's all chemicals. Here's a pretty good article off of Yahoo. http://health.yahoo.com/experts/eatthis/22630/the-truth-about-diet-soda/

However, I don't want it to become a "forbidden fruit" so I allow it once in a while. It's easy for those things to become habit, though. Good luck!

Thank you :)
    And yeah- the forbidden fruit method always backfires on me, big time. I blame it on my rebellious nature. LOL
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've found that if I'm craving chocolate ice cream, better to eat half a cup and count it towards my day than compensate with something else. If I try to compensate, I will just overeat, and then have the chocolate anyway. In the case of soda, I would definitely say go with the candy or ice cream, at least then you count it in your calories and you don't get the baggage that the soda is going to give you.
  • Advengirl
    Options
    I've found that if I'm craving chocolate ice cream, better to eat half a cup and count it towards my day than compensate with something else. If I try to compensate, I will just overeat, and then have the chocolate anyway. In the case of soda, I would definitely say go with the candy or ice cream, at least then you count it in your calories and you don't get the baggage that the soda is going to give you.

Very very true.
    Okay. I just threw away the last 1/4 of my diet soda. I'm not going to go for the chocolate this time (craving abated)...but yeah, you're right. Might as well have the real stuff in a small quantity then blow it on crap only to break down for the real stuff later. bleeeeh

Hey! I noticed that we have the same weight loss goals (-43lbs). I can't wait to hit the 18lb loss mark! :D Congrats!
  • Mommabee
    Mommabee Posts: 103
    Options
    I am a confessed diet popaholic! I would always have to have my diet pepsi in the morning just like other people have to have their coffee or latte or whatever!
    Since I've started to (try) to eat healthy, I've cut out diet pop all together except as a "treat" on Friday or Saturday night watching movies with my husband. What I have found to subsitute is Fuze. You have to be careful and get the Slenderize version of it so the calories are less (only 20 in a whole bottle!!!). It satifies my sweet tooth and as far as I can see from the label it doesn't have the "nasties" in it diet pop does. It comes in lots of flavors, so I am sure some are sweeter than others, you'll just have to try them.
    Also, Jello makes a chocolate mousse with only 60 cals that is to die for! I eat it with a banana when I want to feel decadent!
    Good luck,

294318.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counteryou'll find something that works!
  • Advengirl
    Options
    I am a confessed diet popaholic! I would always have to have my diet pepsi in the morning just like other people have to have their coffee or latte or whatever!
    Since I've started to (try) to eat healthy, I've cut out diet pop all together except as a "treat" on Friday or Saturday night watching movies with my husband. What I have found to subsitute is Fuze. You have to be careful and get the Slenderize version of it so the calories are less (only 20 in a whole bottle!!!). It satifies my sweet tooth and as far as I can see from the label it doesn't have the "nasties" in it diet pop does. It comes in lots of flavors, so I am sure some are sweeter than others, you'll just have to try them.
    Also, Jello makes a chocolate mousse with only 60 cals that is to die for! I eat it with a banana when I want to feel decadent!
    Good luck,

294318.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counteryou'll find something that works!

Mmmm....chocolate mousse jello with a banana. Hello! We have a winner! I bet I could prepare it on Sunday and put it into lil' serving size containers or something. Between me & the hubby, it'd be just enough for a treat now & again.
    And I think I need to look into this Fuze stuff. I've seen it, but haven't tried it yet. :D

Thank you!
  • Mommabee
    Mommabee Posts: 103
    Options
    You don't even have to make the mousse, it comes in those little 60 calorie cups! It's awesome to take for a snack at work!
    You are welcome! We all have to stick together to get through this. I am bound and determined not to have to go to "tent and awning" to get a dress for my son's wedding!!! LOL
  • kobrie17
    kobrie17 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i agree with the just have the candy or even better a coffee!
  • akeyla3
    Options
    Diet soda is 100 percent nutrition-free, and again, it's just as important to actively drink the good stuff as it is to avoid that bad stuff.
    >>>>>>one diet soda a day is fine, but if you're downing five or six cans, that means you're limiting your intake of healthful beverages, particularly water and tea. <<<<
  • Advengirl
    Options
    Mommabee:
    Tent & Awning...ROTF :D
    That's a new one!

I don't think you'll have to go to that department when the wedding comes around- you've already got such great pointers and seem to know what you're doing! Woo! Unless he's getting married in 2wks, well, I'm betting you'll be at goal when the time comes :):flowerforyou:

And korbrie: Another good idea! You guys are full of 'em. :happy:
    I JUST got to the point where I don't have to sweeten my lattes :D If only our office coffee maker wasn't such a piece-o-crap. lol
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    One of my healthnut friends told me earlier this year that it takes an astronomical amount of water to offset the damage that 8 ounces of any kind of soda does to your body, so I hope you've got your water bottle :wink: I cave into a few ounces of A&W root beer a couple times a year, but since I know so many bad things about carbonated beverages now, I find it really hard to take any joy in it anymore, so the cravings are pretty much nil. It just takes time, I used to have a 6 pack of full on Pepsi daily years ago, so you can quit, it can be done!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Have you tried chewing gum? I have a wicked sweet tooth, too, and gum has prevented me from gorging myself on ice cream at least twice this week. 5 calories in a stick of gum, or yellow teeth & a rootbeer gut from soda? Hmm...
  • Advengirl
    Options
    Yup- I've been drinking a ton of water every day (at least 120 oz/day, usually closer to 160oz)...so my hopes is that I counter balance the diet soda. We are talking just ONE every week- kik
    but...well...
    bleh.

I don't think it's really worth it anymore :)
    BLah!
    I won't 'ban' it from my diet- but, I won't be having one each week :)

(can't chew gum at work since we have clients in and out all day)
  • blackiris49
    blackiris49 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I get soda water and add fruit juice to it. I find that many fruit juices are high in calories so I buy a decent one and 'water' it down with the soda water. :smile:

Is this ok or is it as bad as diet and non-diet sodas??? :frown:
  • Renea_Kay
    Renea_Kay Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    According to my doctor ....diet sodas have something in them that actually make you hungrier!
  • NewBeginning2010
    NewBeginning2010 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I FIND DIET SODA KEEPS ME FROM EATING AND I HAVE ONE A DAY AND ITS MORE THAN A CAN.....IM TRYING SO HARD TO CUT OUT AND IM DOING OK...,BUT IS IT GOING TO AFFECT MY WEIGHT LOSS IF IM DRINKING IT A FEW TIMES A WEEK?
  • tmleymek
    Options
    From the research i have read what i gather is that the artificial sweetener in diet soda (and other diet drinks) conditions your body to expect sweet while simultaneously messing up your body's ability to associate sweet with calories. My suggestion is to drink tea and maybe have some fruit (i am very aware that fruit is not as awesome as chocolate ice cream) Try giving yourself 7 days of no artificial sweetener (aspartame, acesulfame K, sucralose, maltitol, ethrythritol, truvia, stevia, etc) and see if that helps reduces the craving for something intensely sweet. :)