Homemade granola bars?

Options
amsohs85
amsohs85 Posts: 166
Does anyone have a good recipe for homemade granola bars? I'm looking for something that is chewy and healthy. I know there are recipe sites out there but i want one that someone has already tested out as some of the recipes out there can be hit and miss. Also it needs to be kid approved..lol!! Thanks!

Replies

• alliefiorini
    alliefiorini Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup whole wheat flour
    1 1/2 cups rolled oats
    1 teaspoon of cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
    1/3 cup 100% organic maple syrup
    1/3 cup corn oil
    1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
    1/3 cup of unsweetened fruit preserves

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix whole wheat flour, rolled oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and sea salt. In a separate bowl, mix the maple syrup, corn oil, and vanilla. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until combined.

Press half of the mixture in a pan, and then top with fruit preserves. Top with the remaining oat mixture and press. For the pan, I like to use a bread pan. You can use whatever size you want. Bake for 25 minutes and cut into 6 bars. Enjoy.
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    that sounds good. want to try that
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Okay, now THAT sounds delicious!!! Gotta try them!!! Think you could send me that recipe? I don't have ANY and would love to have at least one in my MFP recipe book!!! Thanks!!!

Jen (chocoholicdiva) :flowerforyou:
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I make these for my daughter every week:

2 cups quick oats
    1 cup old fashioned oats
    2/3 cup mini chocolate chips
    1 cup roasted, unsalted sunflower seeds
    1 cup dried cranberries
    1/2 cup PB2
    1 can condensed milk - regular or fat free
    2 tbls butter, melted

Mix all ingredients well, using your hands. Press into 9X13 pan sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 22 minutes or until edges are brown. Remove from oven and baste the top with 1 tbls maple syrup (or honey) mixed with 1 tbls warm water.

Cut into 36 bars. About 125 calories each.

You can substitute anything you want for the chocolate chips, pb2, sunflower seeds and dried cranberries. If you use regular peanut butter instead of PB2, the bars are more of a cookie bar consistency than a granola bar - probably because of the extra oil.
  • dasaucywench
    dasaucywench Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sounds great. Never heard of corn oil...gonna have to look for it at the grocery!
  • punkypenny
    punkypenny Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Misha41810
    Misha41810 Posts: 22
    Options
    bump for the awesome recipes
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bevtrayer
    bevtrayer Posts: 37
    Options
    bump
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Maybe add some chocolate or peanut butter chips to them too....yeah, I know shame on me!
  • lilrette
    lilrette Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Save
  • amsohs85
    Options
    Thanks the recipes sound awesome. I like to bake and of course kids like the treats..i just want to try some healthier options. And i figure homemade is better then the preservative laden foods sold on the shelf. Plus you can control the ingredients! :flowerforyou:
  • fypspirit
    fypspirit Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I don't like maple so I'd have to find something to replace that but so far these sound yummy
  • leslieanne1010
    leslieanne1010 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    bump
  • amsohs85
    Options
    Another friend of mine just ordered the PB2 and she said that you can get it on Amazon. She got both the peanut butter and the chocolate and the total was around ten dollars. ;-)
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I've been thinking about making my own muesli bars so will have to try these and see how they turn out.
  • tim_w13
    tim_w13 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    bump from me awesome.
  • Audrey403
    Audrey403 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Bump