Workout when you're sick?

Options
So I have a lovely cold/flu going on. Earache, sore throat, fever and sometimes a case of the dizzies. I feel extreme guilt when I don't work out and was wondering if I should just continue to do my Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30?

Also, water is making me extremely nauseas and I can't keep it down. However, I can keep down an extremely diluted iced tea. So would it do a lot of harm drinking my calories until I feel better? I am eating healthy. Lots of veggies and fruits.

Replies

• jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    IMO rest my friend. sounds like your body needs it. Sleep is one of those looked over things in fitness.
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    Skip the workout, especially if you have a fever and are dizzy. Just focus on resting as much as possible and pushing the fluids. If diluted tea is staying down, stick with that. Tea is virtually calorie-free anyway.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I workout when I am sick, though I never get so sick that I feel like I just can't. I think exercise really helps support immunity. I have two young kids and a husband, and I am the one that never gets sick. It always works like this: My six year old comes home from school with a few cold symptoms, the next day my son is even sicker than her, and then my husband can barely get out of bed. I am always the one that dodges the sick bullet.
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Options
    I tired working out recently when I was sick and I had to stop. I found I wasnt putting in the same effort and my body was just tired. Rest up I say and come back stronger.
  • kaylarachellee
    kaylarachellee Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Sweat the toxins out!
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    If you can't hold water down, I wouldn't do something as high impact as Miss Jillian. Do some yoga, maybe, just to keep yourself going, but definitely take it easier than usual.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Rest.
  • ambitious01
    ambitious01 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    experts say no:smile: It's not like you feel like eating bunches.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise when I'm sick. I'm usually unable to move too much anyway so I don't push myself to exercise. Even when i start to feel better and have some energy, sometimes I do a shorter workout with less intensity just to do something but I don't push it and I don't do it every day. Sometimes I go 2 weeks without exercise due to a cold/flu but it's just not worth it to be to drag out the illness just to workout.

I also don't pay very much attention to my calories. I figure I need whatever strength I can get and most people aren't very hungry when they're sick anyway and lose weight. I think your body needs whatever fuel it can get to fight off the illness so even if you track your calories and go over, you'll most likely still be fine because even though you aren't exercising, your body is still fighting a battle and that takes energy.
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    if you have a fever are dizzy and not keeping things down it is time for a rest. when its just a head cold I would probably still do something light. sounds like you have the flu. get lots of sleep and you will be back at it in no time.
  • jumpin15
    jumpin15 Posts: 30
    Options
    Last time I was sick with a cold I tried to continue to work out. I just didn't want to stop my workouts. I was doing fine but I wasn't getting over the cold even though I was taking medicine. Finally I went to see the doctor and he said it was because I continued to workout. He said to stop working out for a week or two so that my body could really work on the cold. I did what he said and the cold symptoms finally stopped. So now I just try my best not to get sick so that I don't have to stop my workouts. So far I've been doing good, thank God.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    hmm, hard to say. I've never had the flu, so can't speak from experience, but I've exercised when I was sick, and my coughs/sneezes or whatever symptoms I had lasted for only a short time when I did so. usually it would have lasted longer. drinking plenty fluids, keeping sodium lower, and resting is the best advice I have.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    you sound like you're way too sick to workout. feel better, and just eat and drink what you can keep down!

when you do start feeling like you can move around, some very light exercise seems to help me to recover faster. but, when the illness is in full swing, just rest. x
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    Unless Gatorade is giving me a "flu workout" commercial...i'm resting.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Rest!

If it was a mild cold...workout. If you are feeling this sick, your body needs rest. Drink as much water as possible, eat when you can, and try not to over exert yourself. Jillian will be there when you feel better.
  • bzgl40
    bzgl40 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    head cold fine, fever no.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I had the worst cold of my life about a month and a half ago. Spent seven whole days in bed! What a wimp. Couldn't have exercised to save my life, but I also didn't eat over my calories. It took me a week or so to get back to feeling as strong as I had been in my pre-sick workouts, but I didn't gain any weight.

I say rest if your body tells you to. If feel you can work out, you're not too sick to do so.
  • kaymarie78
    kaymarie78 Posts: 104
    Options
    I had been really sick for the last week or so and decided to just rest for a bit. I had a fever, major congestion/cough issues, and awful sinus pain, so I knew it wouldn't be a good idea. Once I felt a little better, I started off doing some low intensity workouts and just got back to high intensity today. I would definitely suggest taking it easy until you're feeling better...especially if you're dizzy and have a fever!
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    When I'm sick, hot water with a bit of lemon and honey feels good... especially when my throat hurts.

On your question... I wouldn't exercise when sick unless it feels good. Go lighter than usual, keep warm and hydrated.
  • ZoeyRobinson
    ZoeyRobinson Posts: 301
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am going to stay in bed and rest until I don't feel like poop.