messed up big time, disspointed in myself!

Options
Sooooo I have been eating less than 1200 cals daily and lost 12 lbs.. today i ate abbout 2500 if not more!!! the only excercise i did was walk around the mall about 3-4 hrs. I had a whole cheeseburger and fries im talking cleaned the plate for lunch.. and dinner we had a pizza hut dinner box and i wont even say how much i ate of that.. I just feel awful . Im praying I dont gain any weight from this. I do NOT want a setback... any tips, advice? Thanks everyone, the support just makes me feel a million times better!

Replies

• taratam83
    taratam83 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    First off don't stress out over it too much. You're hardly going to off-set all your hard work with one bad day of eating. You might put on a couple extra pounds in the next day or too just because of water retention from the sodium. Other than that, your deficit that you have created with eating a low cal diet & exercising will take care of your extra cals today. Depending on your weight you probably ate close to maintenance today anyway. Just hop right back on tomorrow and know that every now and then its okay to have a day that you go over. (PS - the Pizza Hut dinner box is sooooo yummy! Its hard to resist, we had one this week for dinner also!)
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    You actually just confused your body and it may even give you a jump. No worries just dust yourself off and get back on track now. Look how far you've come! Surely, you won't let this one slip, one day do you in....no way......I'm right here with you - dusting myself off as well and back at it 100%

Join me!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    In the 11 months that I've been dieting I've had a lot of slip-ups along the way. The important thing is to forgive yourself and move on with the diet. You'll likely gain a couple of pounds tomorrow, but they'll be water weight from the sodium you took in today so try not to freak out when you weigh in.

If you're eating less than 1200 calories a day, this may have been your body's way of telling you that you need to eat more. 1200 is very low for an adult woman.
  • lisaissasa
    lisaissasa Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Since I started a healthier walk I read a lot of articles. One article, actually several, said that having one day where you blow it is not detrimental. In fact, it can even confuse your body and cause it to boost your matabolism. Do not get discouraged it could lead to a collapse. Do 15 minute interval training. 20 seconds of intense aerobics or weights then 10 second rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Go to 20secondfitness.com for more details. Relax be stress free then your body will work for you not against you. You can and will succeed.
  • Gracy22
    Gracy22 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The advice above is very good and true were human and these things happen Just remember that tomorrow is a new day.
    One day at a time.. You will do fine....
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Sooooo I have been eating less than 1200 cals daily and lost 12 lbs.. today i ate abbout 2500 if not more!!! the only excercise i did was walk around the mall about 3-4 hrs. I had a whole cheeseburger and fries im talking cleaned the plate for lunch.. and dinner we had a pizza hut dinner box and i wont even say how much i ate of that.. I just feel awful . Im praying I dont gain any weight from this. I do NOT want a setback... any tips, advice? Thanks everyone, the support just makes me feel a million times better!

I took a look at your food diary and some days it seems like you're not meeting even 1,000 calories. Are you not logging in your food or do you generally eat that low?

2,500 calories is not that exaggerated of an amount; I doubt it will do serious harm other than cause puffiness from the high sodium content. Drink plenty of water :)
  • cheergirl1993
    cheergirl1993 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone .. it helps to know people are in the same situation! I am hoping to get right back on track tomorrow. I am not weighing myself haha I usually do everyday but will not be tom.!! Yes, dinner boxes are amazing and I enjoyed everything I got to eat today. Im glad its out of my system!
  • cheergirl1993
    cheergirl1993 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I do log everything almost everyday but I did look back and there are a couple of days that I didnt, due to being ashamed about I guess
  • katiekrusher
    katiekrusher Posts: 143
    Options
    I do log everything almost everyday but I did look back and there are a couple of days that I didnt, due to being ashamed about I guess

I do the same, I feel terrible about it.
  • Kcarroll01
    Kcarroll01 Posts: 18
    Options
    Definitely don't get consumed with guilt. Trust me, I know it is easier said then done but you must try not to beat yourself up about it. That could lead to more eating....I know this firsthand. I found this brief article that might help at http://jackievecchio.com/2011/10/20/feeling-guilty-after-eating/....hope this helps :) Remember, no matter what, you are beautiful exactly the way you are. Tomorrow is a new day...you simply can get right back on track. By the way, on a side note, some people say it is good to have a little "cheat" here and there. That way, you don't go crazy someday and eat a heck of a lot more due to feeling deprived.
  • freedom2fly
    Options
    The idea is not to give up!!
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options

Don't be. It's not a race. You'll get to where you want to be.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I actually do this on purpose once ever 3-4 weeks. It seems like it keeps me from getting stuck. After my high calorie day I usually will weigh 1 -2 lbs more, but over the next several days I will loose that plus one or two more pounds. The important thing about a day like that is to make sure you go right back on track the next day. Don't go back into your old ways.
  • agerena007
    agerena007 Posts: 51
    Options
    First and foremost, dont get discouraged. Trust me most of us have our cheat days. I hope you logged it in regardless. I mean you arent hiding it from the most important person, yourself... We are here for support and motivation. So on days like today, mfp friends are here to cheer you on for a better tomorrow ( I say a better now). For example, if u saw my diary Today I went way over and I logged it, but because I felt so naseous from the junk food I ate I jumped on the elliptical. Not saying u should, but the day isnt over and there is no better time to start again then now. We always say I will go back on my diet tomorrow, and we might, but why not today... Just saying. Good luck and keep your head up...
  • bkm070
    bkm070 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Don't get down on yourself it is not the end, just don't make a habit of it. When I slip up, I try to look at why I over ate. Most of the time it is due to stress but other times it is because I am nutritionally short on something like proten or my diet does not have a variety of nutrient rich foods. Don't focus on the one day you eat too much. Start fresh the next meal /day. Good luck with.
  • LadyVivica
    LadyVivica Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat, a couple days ago I slipped up and ate like 2500 calories...I was so worried that I screwed up all of my progress and really dreaded getting on the scale the next day. But to my surprise I actually LOST a lb...I was shocked...Sometimes your body just needs extra calories, especially with women.

Its ok to have a cheat day, but eat lots of protein (meats) and try your best to avoid super greasy foods. Thin crust pizza's are great for cheat days. But sometimes you just really need chocolate, sugar, and fat in your foods, I know the point of a diet is to avoid these, but sometimes your body needs a treat, just try to eat in moderation.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    The red flag for this post is "eating UNDER 1200 calories." When you starve yourself, your body rebels and forces you to eat, in order to keep you alive. Stop starving yourself, and you'll stop binging.

Also, there's no such thing as "confusing your body." Cheat days are good for mental reasons, they do absolutely nothing as far as your body is concerned. The human body doesn't react to daily intakes, only weekly/monthly trends.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Hi Lacey,

I'm glad that you pigged out today! Your body will lose weight with alot more food. Have you gone into myfitness pal to see how much a person at your GOAL weight would need to eat, at your activity level, just to maintain their weight? It's probably much higher than 1200 calories. Some days you only eat 700-800 calories! Dangerous! You are crash dieting, and your body is fighting back. Eventually it will win, and you will give up because too many days will happen like that one and you will be ashamed to enter it. Then you will not know what you eat each day and will not be in control of your weight, and then you'll end up 187 pounds like me, which is a shame because I am not a stranger to dieting. I just refused to count the calories until this scanner thing came along, and I love it.

If, however, you choose to eat a reasonable amount, instead of the 2500+ you used to eat, you will eventually get to the right weight you want to be without stress, and you'll discover that you can eat what you want to, and you'll feel better too. An 18 year old girl can eat alot more than 1200 calories a day. Enjoy them, and try to strive for five fruits and vegetables, you are not eating enough of them. It will be much harder to feel hungry if you eat plants in addition to what you are eating, and then you'll be less likely to overeat. And remember, a McDonald's regular cheeseburger does not have that many calories. Get a salad instead of fries. You can still eat out with your friends!!!!

Ruth
  • sparks48
    sparks48 Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm very disappointed in you ... you should have slipped some ice cream in there as well. It's all good.
  • mcw1976
    mcw1976 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    SPLURGE DAYS! I have one about every two weeks. It gives me something to look forward to after being good for two weeks.