African Mango & Vitamins for weight loss?

Options
My entire life I have struggled with my weight, I have ALWAYS been obese and it's a struggle for me daily. My problem is - I think I am a "food addict" lol. I eat even when I'm not hungry, the worst is I am always hungry at night and even if I'm not, it's such a habit for me that I eat anyways, and that is the worst time to eat, as we all know. I also have a slow metabolism, I've always had constipation problems since I was a baby. SO I wanted to try something that will cut my appetite, give me energy and help me go to the washroom, apparently the African mango does.

I am determined to get healthy, so I went out and also bought the following vitamins:

- Daily-One multivitamin for women
- Omega-3 fish oil 1200mg
- B-12 1000mcg

I am obviously not depending on this solely to help me get healthy, I am going to collaborate this with exercising 5 times a week, cutting down on calories, not eating after dinner and getting myself out of bed no later than 10am!

I start Monday, today is Saturday (technically Sunday @ 12:22am) and I am very excited and hoping my purchases will aid me in being more successful. I am sick of yo-yo dieting. I need a lifestyle change and I feel good about my purchases.

Anyone have anything to say about the African mango and the vitamins I bought? Anyone take any of these things as well? If so, has it helped?

Thanks!

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    African mango is pretty much a waste of money from what I've read. The vitamins are fine. Also, the time of day you eat doesn't matter.
  • Meadows18
    Meadows18 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am also taking the MangoPure with the HCG activator pills, which were both recommended by Dr. Oz. I started taking them last weekend and am so glad I did. I cut the dose in half, but have already lost 6 lbs this week alone because of them. Good Luck.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Most supplements (with the exceptions of whey, creatine, multi vitamin and fish oil) are bunk and only attribute 1% to total weight loss.

This link is reliable on review of supplements since they use research tests to verify their claims.

http://www.ultimatefatburner.com/african-mango-review.html

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • viktoriasecret
    Options
    African mango is pretty much a waste of money from what I've read. The vitamins are fine. Also, the time of day you eat doesn't matter.

Really? I have read good things but I guess it's different for everyone really. I think the fact that Dr. Oz recommends it, is what makes me intrigued. Also "statistics" show that it works, but who knows if that's a reliable resource. It may be a scam, I guess only time will tell. I got it an gnc, it was on sale so I figured it was worth a try.

Hm, for me I think the time of day matters because my body already struggles to break down food and digest, so eating right before I go to bed, it makes it even worse.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz gets paid to push it. He has a new "miracle" every show. Dr. Oz is nothing but a pitch man, he has exactly ZERO nutritional education.

There are NO peer reviewed studies that I can find that say anything about african mango.
  • viktoriasecret
    Options
    Most supplements (with the exceptions of whey, creatine, multi vitamin and fish oil) are bunk and only attribute 1% to total weight loss.

This link is reliable on review of supplements since they use research tests to verify their claims.

http://www.ultimatefatburner.com/african-mango-review.html

IDEA Fitness member

Thank you for the information. Ah well, I guess I will see for myself.
  • viktoriasecret
    Options
    Dr. Oz gets paid to push it. He has a new "miracle" every show. Dr. Oz is nothing but a pitch man, he has exactly ZERO nutritional education.

There are NO peer reviewed studies that I can find that say anything about african mango.

Haha yeah you're probably right.
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options

Definitely right. Sorry. :-/

Taking a multi-vitamin and fishoil pills would be great. Eating lots of veggies and drinking lots of water will definitely help with regulating your body. No need to bother with the gimmicks. Good luck! :)
  • mamo1014
    mamo1014 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I don't put a whole lot of stock into Dr. Oz but I have taken African Mango and it worked for me. I lost 5 pounds the first week and then two pounds a week for the next two weeks. I had to quit taking them because of a non-related health issue but once I have that taken care of, I'll probably take them again as a "booster" to help me lose weight. Of course, I know proper eating habits and exercise are a must too. Good luck on losing weight and feeling better.
  • viktoriasecret
    Options

Definitely right. Sorry. :-/

Taking a multi-vitamin and fishoil pills would be great. Eating lots of veggies and drinking lots of water will definitely help with regulating your body. No need to bother with the gimmicks. Good luck! :)

Thank you! It's okay, it was only 30$ haha figured it was worth a shot, if it doesn't work at least I learned my lesson :P
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

the thing that i dont get about dr oz and his pushing products is how is every thing he recommends the new cant fail weight loss magic wand? if the last thing was so good then why he need to push a new one?
  • viktoriasecret
    Options

the thing that i dont get about dr oz and his pushing products is how is every thing he recommends the new cant fail weight loss magic wand? if the last thing was so good then why he need to push a new one?

Haha good point!
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I don't put a whole lot of stock into Dr. Oz but I have taken African Mango and it worked for me. I lost 5 pounds the first week and then two pounds a week for the next two weeks. I had to quit taking them because of a non-related health issue but once I have that taken care of, I'll probably take them again as a "booster" to help me lose weight. Of course, I know proper eating habits and exercise are a must too. Good luck on losing weight and feeling better.

But how much did you eat and how much did you exercise? How big was your calorie deficit?

The thing is, it's very very common to lose 5 pounds the first week of a diet with or without mango extract. People credit these miracle treatments when really they lose weight because they're eating less, moving more, and making healthier choices.

There's also this wonderful thing called a placebo effect. Even corn starch can make someone lose weight faster than they otherwise would if it's packaged and delivered by someone they trust. Believe, and it will be so.
  • noirnatural
    noirnatural Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I didn't see it on Dr. Oz( whom I adore, I got his book YOU on a diet for Christmas and it was full of nutritional advice and explaniations of how our body works) any way I read about it in Womans World...you know they highlight a different diet every week..lol but the women in the article had success with it....it may not have any real effect on your weight loss..it could just be the placebo effect..you trust it will work so therfore it will work for you. I hope you have success with it or without it...good luck and keep us posted ..
  • viktoriasecret
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • A_young2193
    Options
    I just bought a bottle and I really want to do this, but I can't swallow pills and when I tried it broke open in my mouth, is that safe? Can I just open it and put it in water or does it need to stay in the capsule?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I just bought a bottle and I really want to do this, but I can't swallow pills and when I tried it broke open in my mouth, is that safe? Can I just open it and put it in water or does it need to stay in the capsule?
    If you're ingesting it, why would it make a difference?

IDEA Fitness member
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    well let us know how it works for you in the end.....
  • A_young2193
    Options
    If you're ingesting it, why would it make a difference?

IDEA Fitness member

Yeah that's what I decided. So I'm just opening it up and trying it for a month. Took my measurements so we'll see how it goes.
  • shwethapatil
    Options
    Did it work?