Anyone here have a sodium/crunchy problem? Is it just me?

Options
essjay76
essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
I read a lot about people struggling with carbs, hating to do the Atkins/Paleo/low carb stuff, but I am just not there. I read about how people have to cut out white rice, bread, pasta, sugar, baked goods, cookies, muffins, etc. but I am not one of those people. However, I do have a big problem with protein and sodium! I struggle to get starch in! (I'm not talking about just carbs, because I eat a lot of fruit... I'm talking about starches more like it.

I really don't crave sweets and can do without them, but I have a horrible problem with sodium and salty crunchy things. I don't know if it's just my background (I am asian) or my personal tastes, but I always need something salty and crunchy in my day (which turns to chips). With that said, I'm heavy handed on my salt and tend to add too much when I cook.

I need help combatting this, I need ideas to help me make my diet more low in sodium. My father had a heart attack at the tender age of 55 (high blood pressure, due to genetics and lots of salty crap) and he's in great shape (runs marathons, etc). I take after him.

I am an avid runner and I know I need to eat more carbs.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Replies

• ThaRealNicki
    ThaRealNicki Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    cannot give advice because im in the same boat just wanted to let you know im the same as you! and i love cheesey stuff too! sweets i can definitley live without until ToM comes around and even then I can manage without half the time lol

I dont know what it is but I hope for some good advice because salt and vinegar chips are my thing!
  • VonRockette
    VonRockette Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am like you! I love a salty, crunchy snack. I resort to air popped popcorn, kale chips , popcorn chips and homemade dry roasted chick peas (those help A LOT!) if I need something. I don't season anything with salt anymore, I just use Mrs.Dash herbs or fresh herbs. Took a while to get used to. It's definitely a weening process and I have my free day where I get my Cheezit fix!
  • Eveamlizya
    Eveamlizya Posts: 16
    Options
    I used to be the same way then I decided to get off the salt thing and just went cold turkey one day and never looked back. I never add salt to anything really anymore. Even french fries I'd rather them be plain now if I have them (as a teenager, my friends used to say "looks like it's snowing in fryville" or "would you like some fries with that salt?"). Now, I can't go without sweets so I have to find low cal sweets that will curb the craving (fiber one brownies and truvia packets for my coffee are my best friends).
  • andreabrightside
    Options
    I am like you! I love a salty, crunchy snack. I resort to air popped popcorn, kale chips , popcorn chips and homemade dry roasted chick peas (those help A LOT!) if I need something. I don't season anything with salt anymore, I just use Mrs.Dash herbs or fresh herbs. Took a while to get used to. It's definitely a weening process and I have my free day where I get my Cheezit fix!

Solid advice here. Find some crunchy snacks that are at least somewhat healthy.

A bit of salt is OK and frankly most sodium comes from processed/packaged foods (rather than sprinkling it on yourself).

The suggestion about going cold turkey for a bit is a really good one. You'll learn to notice flavours more (or find it bland, but you'll get used to it). Once you stop noticing that food tastes bland, start adding a little salt to your own cooking. It does wonders to bring out the flavours but you just need a pinch rather than a spoonful. (I have sea salt in a grinder, and usually 2-3 turns of the grinder is enough salt for most recipes).