Eating Clean

Options
I currently read a fitness magazine that promotes clean eating, yet it is loaded with advertisements for supplement bars and drinks.

1.) Are supplement bars and drinks considered "clean"?

2.) Has anyone lost weight by clean eating?

Thanks, in advance, for your advice and input.

Replies

• Reignofmongo
    Reignofmongo Posts: 137
    Options
    I eat very clean. My protein comes from very low fat sources such as poultry or egg whites. For fats, olive oil, coconut oil, or fish. And for carbs I go to sweet potatoes, oatmeal, or brown rice. Obviously these are all examples... There's a lil more than 8 items on my menu, lol. Getting the right macros in your body promotes efficiency, that includes efficiency in burning fat. Protein bars generally aren't clean. But they pay so much to advertise that they'll stick them right there with the article promoting wholesome natural foods. lol, protein shakes are the same way. only like 5% of the protein products, as far as shakes and bars go, would be considered clean. Mind you, I'm not calling them bad per say... Just not clean.

Hope this helps. :)
  • sdoldsMD2013
    sdoldsMD2013 Posts: 128
    Options
    Well, it can't hurt to try it out to see how it works for you and your lifestyle. But, I do not practice any form of food restriction. In the past, it was a setup for failure. Of course, I do incorporate fresh fruits and vegetables into my nutrition plan, but I also eat whatever I want, but in moderation. I am strict calorie counter and I am avid exerciser, in this new lifestyle has given me the results that food restriction never did. I feel that food restrictions can create an unhealthy relationship with food in some individuals. For me there are so many different foods that I want to try and recipes that I have to cook, and I would be utterly unhappy if I were limited to only certain meals. I strongly believe in the practice of calorie counting and everything in moderation, but of course there are others who would bash this method of a healthy lifestyle. So, it is totally up to you and what will work for you. Best wishes! :-)
  • stacy_7171
    stacy_7171 Posts: 21
    Options
    Thank you for responding. You confirmed my deep-down suspicions, but on the surface I guess I was hoping for an easy fix (e.g., those protein bars are so portable!). I guess there is no short-cut to health. Thanks, again.
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    Those protein bars are just as bad as regular chocolate bars but with extra protein. It is garbage. As for protein supplements such as whey protein, they can be used to get the extra protein in your diet, but in my opinion, unless your an athlete or body builder or frequently exercise (and i mean 4-6 days, couple hours a day kind of exercise), there's really no need for protein supplements from the supplement industry. Just eat lean meats, vegetables, fruits and a good source of fat and that's it.
  • Reignofmongo
    Options
    Thank you for responding. You confirmed my deep-down suspicions, but on the surface I guess I was hoping for an easy fix (e.g., those protein bars are so portable!). I guess there is no short-cut to health. Thanks, again.

one brand I am a fan of would be pure protein. They are like 150-200 cals each, low in sugar(1-2g usually) and sat fats, and have moderate protein.

http://www.pureprotein.net/category/BARS
  • FatStoatLondon
    FatStoatLondon Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I couldn't have put it better than sdoidsMD2013! But remember you can incorporate protein bars into your diet: they are very convenient. I use them as an afternoon snack - they really help with the mid-afternoon energy slump. I also grab one to go if I get up late and don't have time to make breakfast.
  • JoseP204
    JoseP204 Posts: 16
    Options
    HI there,

You can lose weight by just eating clean and very little exercise. That attest to the role that nutrition plays into weight loss. Now add a workout routine and expect to loose weight faster and in a healthy manner.

There is a cookbook that I use called "Well Fed: Pael Recipes" this is as clean as you are going to get. Great recipes and gives you and idea of what you should be eating.

In regards to protein bars and shakes. The only protein powder that I use is called One World Whey, it is the only protein powder in the marked that does not have all those checmicals found in the rest of the other products. Bars should not be a base for your nutrition.
  • Reignofmongo
    Options
    HI there,

You can lose weight by just eating clean and very little exercise. That attest to the role that nutrition plays into weight loss. Now add a workout routine and expect to loose weight faster and in a healthy manner.

There is a cookbook that I use called "Well Fed: Pael Recipes" this is as clean as you are going to get. Great recipes and gives you and idea of what you should be eating.

In regards to protein bars and shakes. The only protein powder that I use is called One World Whey, it is the only protein powder in the marked that does not have all those checmicals found in the rest of the other products. Bars should not be a base for your nutrition.

Never heard of it, ever tried isopure? I use the zero carb, it's excellent, and extremely good for you. 50g protein, 1g fat, 0 carb, glutamine, BCAA's, nitric oxides. Tastes good too. ;)
  • JoseP204
    Options
    Reignofmongo,

check it out, http://www.cocoonnutrition.org/oneworldwhey.aspx

My trainer who follows the Paleo nutrition to the point uses it and reccomended to me.
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    HI there,

I have this book as I am eating about 85% paleo. It's a great book, lots of good recipes.

The thing is, to eat "clean" that means you pretty much need to give up convenience foods. You CAN make stuff that is portable - like, for example, I have a gluten-free pumpkin muffin recipe that you can make in advance and take a muffin on the go with you when you feel you need one. That's just ONE example. Eating clean is like going back to basics. If a food is pre-packaged or prepared for you to make life "easy", there is a chance it's not very clean.

When eating paleo or even going gluten-free it's a major eye opener to see just how many foods have stuff added to it to either keep it together or make is less fat/less calories. I say go for REAL food, that's your best bet and where wait loss is concerned... be patient.
  • RickMckc
    RickMckc Posts: 38
    Options

one brand I am a fan of would be pure protein. They are like 150-200 cals each, low in sugar(1-2g usually) and sat fats, and have moderate protein.

Totally agree. Pure Protein bars are excellent. Just finished a 200 calorie Chocolate Peanut Butter. Yum!
  • Reignofmongo
    Options
    Reignofmongo,

check it out, http://www.cocoonnutrition.org/oneworldwhey.aspx

My trainer who follows the Paleo nutrition to the point uses it and reccomended to me.

That's a damn good protein there. I approve! lol
  • JoseP204
    Options
    I switched to it from the GNC brand I was using. It is actually cheaper than that one too.

Try it out, highly suggest it.
  • SamanthaD23
    SamanthaD23 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's called "clean" or aka "paleolithic" - the latest thing. General rule is not to eat anything you can't catch, grow, or pick. And no food with more than five ingredients on packet.

My trainer is all about this, I'm trying trying. I've read somewhere that you can go 70/30 clean, then 80/20 and so on if you find it difficult.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    What do you class as 'clean eating' I can't find a consistent definition anywhere.
  • KettleBellHoe
    Options
    i eat super clean you could see my diary if you like,its all fruits veggies fiber and protein. I've lost 50 lbs eating properly and exercising at least 1 hour a day. Approximately 20 months it took me to go from 175 to 125 lbs.

The benefits I've experienced from eating clean:
    -Super human energy levels (I burn 1000 calories through exercise daily without ever feeling exhausted)
    -My body craves specific nutrients like carbs, protein, or sugar and rarely finds any junk food appealing in anyway.
    -My mental health is more naturally inclined to be happy because I have the proper amount of protein and glucose in my system my brain is creating a lot of serotonin and I don't feel depressed like I would when I considered coca cola and french fries were food.
    -Superb bowel movements. lol
    -Stress free Life.
  • KettleBellHoe
    Options
    i wouldnt bother with protein bars their mostly fat and sugar.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I currently read a fitness magazine that promotes clean eating, yet it is loaded with advertisements for supplement bars and drinks.

1.) Are supplement bars and drinks considered "clean"?

2.) Has anyone lost weight by clean eating?

Thanks, in advance, for your advice and input.
    Prepare to be mind blown.

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/
  • Miss_L
    Miss_L Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Basically, if it has a lot of added ingredients or ingredients you haven't heard or or can't pronounce, it's not that clean!
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

I was going to recommend these. They're the only ones with less than 5 g of sugar plus they have 20 g of protein. Not as great as a meal of "real" food, but good on the go. I limit myself to having one on the days I have spinning class, or else I start eating them like candy bars.