Farm fresh eggs

Options
Briski1411
Briski1411 Posts: 296 Member
Do you know how to cook? I don't my boss brought several dozen of farm fresh eggs in for the office... Cool right, but how do I hard boil them.... Last time we wasted the hole dozen... They must be different than store bought eggs, but why? And how do I hard boil them?

Replies

• kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Wash the chicken manure off of 'em but really, an egg is an egg... they all cook the same. That being said, I LOVE the taste of farm fresh eggs... so fresh.. Especially when they are fried (I know, I know) or scrambled...
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Fresh eggs are difficult to hard boil. I'd wait a good 3-14 days before trying to cook these eggs. That aside, I copied these instructions from catharinesforlamb.com:

1)Start by putting cold eggs in hot tap water and letting them sit there until they have warmed up, or allow them to sit on the bench and warm to room temperature.
    2)Then put them on the stove in the warm water, turn the heat on medium. Once the water comes to a boil, let it simmer for 15 minutes.
    3)Take the eggs out - keep the water simmering on the stove! Put the eggs into ice water for 3 or 4 minutes.
    4)Take the eggs out of the ice water and put them back into the simmering water for 3 or 4 minutes.
    5)Repeat steps 3 and 4.
    6)Repeat step 3. This time, leave them until the eggs are cold, changing the ice water if necessary.
  • Briski1411
    Options
    ok thanks for the help
  • TinnedTuna
    TinnedTuna Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Shop eggs are not fresh, you neen to leave a fresh farm egg to age for around 7 days before you can hard boil them.
    If you place the eggs to be boiled in a sause pan with cold water to cover them, bring to the boil, take off the heat and cover the pan with a lid, let them stand for 11 minutes then after your 11 minzs are up run them uner cold water and they should be perfect
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Bring eggs to room temp, get some slightly salted water on the boil and lower eggs in for 10min then place in ice cold water to cool cracking the shells when in the ice water this should make them easier to peel
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    No no, do not ruin those eggs by hard boiling them! You need to use eggs that are at least a week old to hard boil. Use those gorgeous fresh eggs to soft-boil and eat over steamed asparagus or spinach. You soft-boil eggs by bringing water just to a low boil with a tablespoon of vinegar, turn the heat off, quicky add in the eggs ( i always have them in small bowls before transerring them tothe water), putthe lid of the pot on and a timer for three minutes. They will be perfect!
  • Briski1411
    Options
    Bump
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Scrambled is delicious when they are fresh. Just crack them open then whisk in about 1/8 cup whole milk per two eggs and scramble. They are delicious with a little salt and pepper to taste.

For hard boiling, wait about 3-5 days before trying that.
  • wboswell88
    wboswell88 Posts: 31
    Options
    bump
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said --Farm fresh eggs are best soft boiled, scrambled, poached or fried. If you really want to hard boil them, keep them in the refrigerator for at least a week or two before you boil them (which kind of defeats the purpose of getting farm fresh eggs), otherwise they are nearly impossible to peel.

What I do is put them in a pot, cover them with cool water (an inch higher than the eggs works best for me), bring them to a boil, cover, turn the heat down to a low boil or high simmer (just not a full boil or you risk cracking them) cover and let them cook for 10 minutes. Remove them from the heat, run cold water into the pot to bring the temperature down, dump all the water, fill the pot with icy cold water, and let sit for about 10 minutes. The yolk will be completely set, and usually no grey around it. The shell should peel easily, but if not, running it under cold water while you are peeling helps. Part of the trick to that is cracking it first at the spot where the internal "air bubble" has formed so that you can get water under the skin/membrane.
  • Briski1411
    Options
    Thank you all for the responses. My wife says thank you as well. Last time I brought them home she tried boiling them for me and ruined a dozen. We aren't used to fresh so she thought they were just like store bought. Will use them for scrambled or what not and leave the store bought ones for my hard boiled eggs.