Meals to freeze / Tips for a busy, single Mum

Options
Hi all,

I am a school teacher and am very time poor. I an currently on my holidays now, and I want to get my pantry/fridge back in some semblence of order that will help me through the next 10 week ter of high school kids.

I have a three and a half year old daughter as well.

My question is what strategies have you used to prepare meals and lunches in advance that have worked well?

My one gem I have recently come across is making sandwiches, (meat, cheese, spreads, relishes etc), and freezing them for lunches. 5 loaves of bread usually last Missy and I about 4 weeks. She gets over it though, and prefers her baked beans.

Are there any other smart tips you can pass on that have helped you?

Replies

• ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    My crockpot has become my favorite kitchen appliance. Just throw in some meat (usually chicken or turkey breast), veggies, spices, and a tiny bit of liquid and it's done. I can make a big batch of meals on the weekend, then freeze them in single serve tupperware for a quck reheat. Sometimes I'll cookup some brown rice or pasta when reheating the meals, but usually it's not necessary.
    Some good recipes at skinnymsslowcooker.com.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I like the crockpot as well... there are plenty of recipes that you cook 8 - 10 hours )while at work) and then you have a hot meal ready when you are home! And it is in one dish... not several that you have to wash later :wink:
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I'm also a busy, single mum and I make up lasagne, curries, stews, casseroles and freeze them. Also I buy chicken breasts or fish fillets and crumb then freeze them. So easy to thaw overnight in the fridge then just cook some veggies or add salad. Easy!

I always pack lunches the night before. I usually have a salad and yoghurt, nuts / fruit. My daughter gets a sandwich, two fruits, cheese and crackers and either yoghurt or something else.
  • mrspms
    mrspms Posts: 7
    Options
    Making meat ahead is a mainstay here. I buy chicken breast on sale, cook and freeze it on a cookie sheet, then pop them in a large ziploc bag, and there you go...meals in a minute.
    Large quantities of ground beef/ turkey are good too. I cook it all up and measure out cups into small bags and freeze them.

But I know that my biggest savings by far is menu planning. Just by making my menu with what I have and what is on sale, has saved me a lot of money. It's lovely to know that tonight is the night we are having ....whatever is on the list. Ask your daughter what she wants and you'd be surprised what she wants! Often my list has something written at the bottom for next week...whatever DS or DH are craving :D!!
  • Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    Options
    - soup generally freezes well (and you can freeze it in a tupperware and then pop it out and wrap it up in saran wrap so all your tupperwares aren't used up in the freezer!)

- quesidillas also freeze well and you can put whatever you want in them (I like a small whole-wheat wrap with a mixture of rice, beans, red peppers, onions, corn and tomato paste or sauce, and fresh cilantro leaves all mixed up together), and you can microwave them in the morning and bring them as a lunch too (they'll be cold by lunch but still yummy!)

- pancakes freeze quite well in individual freezer bags (and can be really filling if you have stuff like pumpkin ricotta pancakes!) so make a huge batch and eat pancakes for breakfast for a month! And if you make a weekly bowl of fruit salad and store it in the fridge you can have pancakes and fruit for brekkie in the mornings in a snap. Make the pancakes into fun shapes for your kiddo.
  • amsohs85
    amsohs85 Posts: 166
    Options
    I buy peppers, onions and celery when it is on sale then you chop or dice according to how you will use them and freeze in quart size bags. To make it even easier for you portion out the veggies into sandwich bags and then stick them in quart size. Take them out before you cook and quick thaw by running under cool water. Another idea is to roast a whole chicken then cut up and freeze into serving sizes for each person. I've also done meat loaf, pork roast and pork shoulder this way. I also freeze leftovers from that nights dinner to be eaten for lunch on another day. If you buy meat in family packs you save money, it is well worth the effort of spending a day to cook it all. :flowerforyou:
  • jnthwaite
    jnthwaite Posts: 111
    Options
    Thanks all. I just bought a crock pot and have been trying it out. Any further ideas, I would love to hear them. :)