Awkward question for fellow runners...

Options
Okay. So I know that this is by far not the most, um, appropriate question, and maybe a little awkward, but I need to ask it. So, um, I am a new runner, just finished my 3rd week of C25K. My issue is that, often, in the middle of my run, I feel quite bloated or have to stop to "run" to the bathroom. I know that running actually increases intestinal motility. Does anyone have any suggestions to help with this issue? After all, it can be a little on the embarrASSing side. :embarassed:

Replies

• gone54321
    gone54321 Posts: 19
    Options
    You are not alone!! Trick is to get it "all" out before hand even if that means waking up an extra hour early and getting everything moving. I always go right to the coffee first thing race morning then switch to water... this is why the portopotties at marathons always have huge lines and smell horrible.. also why I get up early and try and get it all taken care of at home.. Hope that this helps
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's a surprisingly common problem and there's not really a "cure" but after a while your body will become more accustomed to the running which should help reduce the urgency.

The other tricks are planning your route to accommodate this and making a point of going before you head out for your run.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Okay. So I know that this is by far not the most, um, appropriate question, and maybe a little awkward, but I need to ask it. So, um, I am a new runner, just finished my 3rd week of C25K. My issue is that, often, in the middle of my run, I feel quite bloated or have to stop to "run" to the bathroom. I know that running actually increases intestinal motility. Does anyone have any suggestions to help with this issue? After all, it can be a little on the embarrASSing side. :embarassed:

I've used OTC Imodium or Pepto and it has helped immensely! Good luck!
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    AS was said planning
    Try to go before know about how far into your run urge starts know where bathrooms are stop at a bathroom in the beginning before it gets urgent once you get used to running it becomes less of a problem
    I have routes now with no bathrooms for a few miles and have no problems
  • MrsShillingford
    MrsShillingford Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When I first started running, it used to happen to me constantly. Don't give up. This does go away; although, I still have the problem when I run intervals. I find that it was always worse on hot days or days when I went running first thing in the morning. I would recommend moving around a lot in the morning and trying to get it all out of your system before going out. Also, do running loops that stay near your home and loop back around just in case
    At this point, I've run two half marathons and logged many miles over the past year without issue. But honestly, this side railed my first attempt at running. Don't give up!
  • lcroftraider31
    Options
    I always have a tall glass of lukewarm water (I have a 2.5 gallon of Poland Spring water sitting on my counter) and a piece of toast (no butter) every morning right after I woke up. Within half an hour, I go to the bathroom and take care of my business. Somehow that always works for me.
  • riverain
    riverain Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    This is really common and natural urge, probably related to fight or flight instincts. You should see how long the lines at portapotties are before races! Experiment with what you eat before you run, to find foods that dont make it worse. what time of day you run could help as well, try planning around your normal 'schedule'.
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I had to use imodium before runs when I first started. Your body gets everything down though and after about 2-3 weeks I was fine. I can do half marathons now without bathroom issues.
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    When I go running outdoors, I google map my path and work it so there is a 7-11 as my midpoint. Then I can pick up a slurpee too!
  • 1FitMom326
    1FitMom326 Posts: 228
    Options
    If you run in the mornings pay attention to your schedule, is it after you eat? Affected by coffee this helps
    You to plan out. I mainly run at night and I always wait at least an hour after dinner so I can digest my food. Morning runs I may have a banana and eat afterwards.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    You are not alone!! Trick is to get it "all" out before hand even if that means waking up an extra hour early and getting everything moving. I always go right to the coffee first thing race morning then switch to water... this is why the portopotties at marathons always have huge lines and smell horrible.. also why I get up early and try and get it all taken care of at home.. Hope that this helps

Agree with this advice.