Question for ALL you runners out there

Options
I have lung issues, but I want to be on a track/cross country team next year. PLEASE give me advice on how to increase stamina that isn't so...breathtaking? Please& thanks :)

Replies

• Get_Me_Fit1
    Get_Me_Fit1 Posts: 194
    Options
    Try getting an inhaler? They seem to work for my dad who has lung issues. (:
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Slow down! You should running at a conversational pace - you should be able to run at a pace such that you could talk to somebody without huffing and puffing.

I bet you are going full blast most of the time.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    what are your lung issues? are they medical or a matter of conditioning?
  • broookiepoo
    broookiepoo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My outer family thinks it's secondhand smoke because both my parents smoke cigarettes all the time with me around, but I haven't become active until the past 2 months or so, so I'm sure it's a mix of both! And yes, I do try to go full blast all the time. I really push myself because I don't feel like I can do as much as other people my age
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Definitely run slower!!! Try Couch to 5K - lots of apps out there, if you have a smart phone or an ipod. You start out with short intervals of running, interspersed with walking. Running full blast right of the bat is a good way to injure yourself, and also just get frustrated and quit. With C25K you will be running a 5K or at least 30 min by the end of 8 weeks. New runners should focus on stamina, not speed. Speed will come with time.
  • broookiepoo
    broookiepoo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Really? I'm actually planning on getting a smart phone soon.. I will definitely be getting that app. That is so helpful, thank you so so much.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed ( at age 40) with exercise induced asthma and I am doing the couch to 5k. I have an inhaler that I use before I start each run and I run slower then I want to. It definitly helps and I do 1 interval at a faster speed if I can with out being totally out of breathe.
  • Venturin
    Venturin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Slow down! You should running at a conversational pace - you should be able to run at a pace such that you could talk to somebody without huffing and puffing.

I bet you are going full blast most of the time.

^ This