Looking for some great soup recipes

Options
I am looking for some healthy homemade soup/stew recipes. There are a couple that I make now....turkey chili and a cajun chicken soup, both are super yummy but looking for something different. I would like it to be low calorie and low sodium. Any of your favorites that you'd like to share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Replies

• enchantedbunny
    Options
    It's not really the season for it anymore, but I love making butternut squash soup :) Here's my recipe for it: http://nomnomcat.com/2011/11/11/butternut-squash-soup/

I used canned chicken broth (awful, I know) but to make it low sodium, just use either a low sodium broth or make your own chicken stock so you can control how much salt goes in it :)
  • mandrox1
    mandrox1 Posts: 33
    Options
    I really love the Sacred Heart soup. I did the 'diet' once and it was not great fun or healthy, but the soup itself is super yummy! I add a can of baby corn and extra peppers too though. And low sodium vegetable broth over beef. Then for seasoning I just add garlic powder, oregano, and black & cayenne pepper. http://www.diet.com/g/sacred-heart-diet
  • Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    Options
    I'd recommend the cookbooks by the Eat, Shrink and Be Merry girls. I just LIVE off of their soups in the winter.

Favs include Thai One On
    http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/895386-Thai-One-On

and their chili
    http://marchmommies.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33285
  • MrsLg
    MrsLg Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Good thread! What does everyone have with their soup? Im trying to steer clear of bread.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    cauliflower soup:
    http://wifeasaurus.blogspot.com/2012/01/roasted-cauliflower-soup.html

pumpkin soup:
    http://wifeasaurus.blogspot.com/2010/03/pumpkin-soup.html

also, check out pinterest for more good soup ideas!
  • Trutra
    Trutra Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I also make cauliflower soup in the following way:
    Fry an onion
    break 2 small cauliflower up and add to onions
    add 1-2 cups chicken stock
    bring to boil and then simmer until cauliflower is soft
    add half a cup parmesan cheese grated
    blend

It comes out really thick and creamy
  • KrystieNye
    KrystieNye Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I made a chickpea-sweet potato soup last night...I didn't figure out the sodium content, but it's only about 179 calories/cup.

1 large yellow pepper
    1 large onion
    1 pckg. Hillshire Farm Turkey Kielbasa
    1 large sweet potato
    1 can (4.5 cups) chickpeas rinsed & drained
    1 cup skim milk
    nutmeg, garlic salt, chilli powder, thyme, paprika and black pepper (I just added the spices to taste).

Dice onion, yellow pepper, and kielbasa and put in soup pan (I coated the pan with a couple sprays of non-cal cooking spray). Cook until the kielbasa is heated through, and the veggies are soft. Put aside to use later. In the soup pan, put the chickpeas, enough water to cover them, and the spices to taste. Leave on med-high heat for about 5 minutes, then remove to blender. Blend until the mixture is a thick, creamy consistency. Pour mixture back into soup pan, and turn heat down to low. Take the sweet potato and bake in microwave about 3 minutes on each side (make sure to pierce the skin with a fork first). Remove sweet potato from skin, and put in blender with 1 cup skim milk. Blend until creamy. Pour sweet potato mixture into soup pan, and stir to combine. If the mixture is too thick, thin down with additional skim milk. Take the kielbasa/veggie mixture, and add to soup. I found that this made about 8 cups for me, but depending on how much milk you use, it could make more or less. When I added this to my recipes, it came out to 179 calories/cup of soup. Enjoy! :)
  • pcteck2
    pcteck2 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    This is a delicious low calorie soup that tastes rich and hearty. It does not need long simmering. I often skip the cheese.

Chicken Italian Sausage Soup

I lb Italian sausage, sliced (I used Isernio’s chicken Italian sausage 1 lb bulk)
    1 onion, chopped
    2 cloves minced garlic
    1 tsp olive oil
    2 cans low sodium chicken broth
    1 can water
    1 can white beans (rinsed and drained)
    1 can stewed or diced low sodium tomatoes, undrained
    1 cup rotini pasta, uncooked
    1 ½ cups Swiss chard or spinach
    ½ cup 2% milk shredded mozzarella cheese
    Cayenne pepper to taste or crushed red pepper flakes
    1 teaspoon Italian seasoning.

Cook sausage, onions and garlic in oil in a large saucepan, stirring frequently.
    Add broth, water, beans, and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
    Add pasta and cook until almost tender.
    Add chopped chard leaves and stems. Cook until tender.
    If you use spinach add after pasta is tender, remove from heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
    Top with cheese.

The second time I made this soup I added about two cups of cubed butternut squash just before adding the pasta. It was really good.
  • pcteck2
    pcteck2 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try this recipe. Thanks.
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    That cauliflower soup sounds lush - going to try that next week.

My favourite is watercress soup.

I dry fry some bacon (I remove the fat) - you don't need very much at all, 1-2 rashers for 4 portions.
    I add one diced potato and some chicken stock and cook till potato is soft.
    2 bags of watercress and cook for 5-10 more minutes.
    Blend.

Some people add onion but I find it a bit overwhelming it there.

I also like a tomato and grilled pepper one with basil that my kids have as a pasta sauce and I eat as soup. I make in large batches and freeze
    onion - softened in 1tsp olive oil
    garlic - I use about 4 cloves
    grated carrot - this gives it a nice sweetness,1large one
    grilled peppers
    grated courgette also works well
    I use passata (sieved tomatoes) instead of tinned as we prefer them but tinned works fine
    I tend to add oregano, bay leafs (remove when finish cooking), smoked paprika and chilli flakes.
  • AngieMoore1975
    AngieMoore1975 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I will definitely be trying these!