Weight loss, but cant tell

Options
2»

Replies

• BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    A lot of times it's hard for YOU to see the difference. Before, During and After pics help with this a lot. I know it's a smidge embarrassing, but posting your pics on the forums will definitely help. If you've lost 18.5 lbs (WOW - that's awesome!!) I'm SURE there's a difference, you just can't see it because you're YOU. :P

Good luck, hun - you're obviously doing it right, so just keep up the good work and don't get discouraged!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Photos really are the best way to track progress.

The scale is fickle. Depending on your mood, we can see or not see changes in the mirror. Even measurements are hard to tell because, at least for me, I can't always be certain I'm measuring in the exact same place, or pulling the tape with the same degree of tightness. And my waist and butt aren't located in the same place they were when I started. My waistline is lower and my bum is higher. Plus, we lose from all over, not just those key areas you measure. I haven't had much change in my waist or hips in the last year, but I've lost from my back, my legs, my arms, the belly area between the waist and hips.
  • thunderchld
    thunderchld Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Here's my experience:

4 weeks - You start to notice a difference in the way your clothes fit, even if you can't see it in the mirror
    8 weeks - those you see daily will notice a difference
    12 weeks - Those people you see once-in-a-while will notice a difference
    12 weeks, 1 day - YOU start to see what others see
  • anku08
    anku08 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Noticing no change or a positive change is still better..
    I lost 3 lbs and an inch offf and my mom told me i was looking fat????? :frown:
    I felt like stopping my efforts bt den again my reports stroke back which made my doc tell me u better keep doing else u will have difficulties in future...

MORAL : CHANGE IN BODY VISIBLE OR NOT YOUR LIFE WILL DEFINITELY CHANGE IN POSITIVE DIRECTION.. KEEP GOING..
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Really it depends on how heavy you were to begin with. If you have a massive amount to lose...it's hard to see even a 20 pound loss. And remember you can't see lots of areas of your body, like your back, under the arm area, back of neck, behind knees, etc. without looking in a mirror. How many of us do that on a regular basis? You also can't see all that internal fat.

Get a tape measure and take your measurements: bust, waist, thighs, hips, neck, arms. Keep doing your exercise and calorie goals. Measure yourself every 2-4 weeks. You will see a difference in your measurements! Also maybe take some pics. I had my husband take pics of me and I was really surprised by how massive I currently am...I always thought I don't look as much as I weigh and that I carry my weight well, but from the back I really look rather bovine. LOL
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    And step on the scale at the gym, most gyms keep their scales calibrated! that way you will know for sure what you weigh :smile:
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Good for you about the jeans: I used to love mine and have some from way back from before dinosaurs, and I would love to fit into them again. Some day I think I will! I don't like the modern cut of jeans ('modern' meaning they help to stick all the fat out the top, basically), and I want to get back into the old relaxed-but-not-frumpy styles.
  • gamerkiwi
    gamerkiwi Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Honestly, even if you're making a big difference, you're still not going to notice it. You're in your own body, feeling the change, but it's so gradual, it's like putting a frog on cold water and turning up the heat as opposed to putting it in boiling water right away. My best measurement was people who rarely saw me, so they would see a sudden jump in weight.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time seeing a "big" difference when I look in the mirror even with 66 pounds gone, looking at myself I still focus on the areas that need work (my belly). I figure we have looked at our overweight self for so long that it is hard for us to see the minor changes when they start to happen. It wasn't until I allowed my husband to take a pic of me from the back that I could "see" the change.

Starting at 230 pounds, I didn't see noticable change in measurements (more than 1/2 inch) until I had lost 30 pounds. Don't give up, you'll start to notice that your clothes are fitting just a bit differently and all the hard work is making a difference.

This ^
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!