Can I have alcohol & still lose weight?

Options

Replies

• JoseP204
    JoseP204 Posts: 16
    Options
    Yes you can but if you want to get the best results out of your workout and nutrition, it is better if you don't. That depends on your goals and the time that you have. I myself, limit myself to 2 drinks per week if I want to drink.
  • imkegoal
    imkegoal Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    As long as you stay within your calorie count yes. If you want to drink more; try to counter act it with exercise:
    I go to the gym every Saturday morning to burn 700 calories, which allows me a bottle of white wine (500) calories in the evening. It works for me as I have lost 31lb so far. I also go for bike rides when it is sunny, and have a glass of wine at the end as a reward.

My mum allows herself a glass of red wine every evening within her calorie limit and seems to be doing fine as well.

And yes- maybe you lose weight quicker if you stop drinking, but the strenght of this way of dieting is that you can allow yourself treats, alcohol, cakes, whatever you fancy, as long as it is within your daily allowance, so don't be too hard on yourself!

You'll work out a balance I'm sure.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    But i drink weight watchers wine.

OMG, this exists???

I think you're doing it wrong.

--P
  • spoonful
    spoonful Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    You must restrain from indulging in pleasure(s). No alcohol, intercourse or McDonalds and you will reach your goal. Good Luck.

No McDonalds?!!!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Here are some things about me....I work too much, don't have that much time to exercise, I love reading, enjoy dancing and most definitely enjoy a few drinks

Dance more. Read while pedalling a gym bike (I hate exercise but love reading so this is what I do). Include the calories you drink and work towards a calorie deficit to ensure weight loss in a drunken stupor.
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say you'd have to stop. But you'd definitely need to cut down. It's just like anything else, okay in moderation
  • emptyplate
    emptyplate Posts: 62
    Options
    Course you can , if you enjoy it then cuitting it out entirely will not make your life enjoyable. There are obvious reasons to cut down both because alcohol carries calories and the health risks too it. But, there are ways you can do it. Switch say cans of lager or glasses of white wine for red wine or vodka and a mixer. these are lower calorie and red wine has some things that are beneficial to you too. Or you could factor a glass or too into your daily/weekly totals. Or set aside cheat days or weeends where you allow yourself some but there are other enjoyable drinks that arent alcoholic. You can definatley dirnk it and loose weight .just in moderation.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Key words are FREQUENCY & MODERATION. Alcohol is also my weakness whenever I'm at a party, for me the fun isn't complete without a few drinks but yeah now I just content myself with 1-2 shots of red wine & that's it. Before I used to drink 12 bottles of beer plus 6 shots of rhum & 5 glasses of vodka.

By the way I also love to dance but normally I'm not a good dancer except when drunk :laugh:
  • FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    You sure can!

On my drinking days I normally to an advanced calorie burning exercise like HIIT or just plain wind sprints.

If you must drink, try to to stay away from the sugary drinks.

I still drink at least two times a week. I stick to rum and diet coke. 60 calories and equally effective!!!
  • sumeetn
    sumeetn Posts: 56
    Options
    i know i did, as long as you don't have snacks / munchies with them and of course drink in moderation :-)
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I have a few drinks once or twice a week. It hasn't held me back at all. I just make sure it fits into my calorie allowance for the day.
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Yes, as long as you stay within your daily calorie goal, limit your drinking to weekends, and avoid high calorie mixed drinks. I lost 35 lbs. by limiting my alcohol consumption to wine on weekends, and occasionally drinking during the week if there was a special event. Try wine spritzers - they are refreshing and low cal.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Here's how I approach weight loss: If I'm going to eat/drink it once I've reached my goal weight (even if it's just once in a while), I can have it while I'm losing weight. For me, this is about lifestyle changes that I'll live with long-term. So I still eat pizza, drink the occasional soda, etc. I'm breastfeeding right now (and before this I was pregnant), so I haven't had alcohol in over a year. But, once I'm done, I'll have a drink if we're out at a restaurant.
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Its easier if you don't drink at all. Why don't you reach your goal then reward yourself with a few drinks? (I lost 60 before I drank again - took 6 months) You'll enjoy it more and probably won't take as much to catch a buzz!

Good luck!

PS - I haven't been able to lose my last bit of weight because I am enjoying drinking again too much. I'm afraid for me it just doesn't work!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Sure, in moderation.
    Usually, most people who ask this are alcohol abusers who don't want to give up their drunkenness.
    Not saying this is you..but...is it?
    Seriously, just keep your calorie count within your goals, and you should lose weight.
    Here is a deeper question for us.
    What kind of food intake leads to optimal health?
    That's a much more important question, and here is the nut of it as it relates to booze.
    You should never drink more than a few, and if drinking is a problem for anybody, quit altogether.
    End of story.
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight and eat nothing but cheesecake if you control your portions :) . Alcohol does tend to lower inhibitions though so it may make resisting those fries a little harder.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    You must restrain from indulging in pleasure(s). No alcohol, intercourse or McDonalds and you will reach your goal. Good Luck.
    [/quote

Forego Intercourse? Good thing you are joking!
  • ansley341
    ansley341 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I still drink about one night a week.
    But, I still try to log everything and still keep my calories under my target. If I know I am going to have a big not drinking I try to burn extra calories that day to balance it out
  • niciemetts
    niciemetts Posts: 49
    Options
    i found a beer that was 95 calories for 12 oz. i have a couple every other night.......and i always stay under my calorie goal :)
  • coullmom
    coullmom Posts: 133 Member
    Options

You can't be serious about the intercourse thing!!! You can burn alot of calories from intercourse and it is healthy for you, so not sure what you are trying to get at.??