Should you before or after a work out?

Options
I've always wondered this. I mean, you use food as fuel, but aren't you burning off the food and not fat if you eat before? Or are you supposed to do that?

Replies

• imissbagels
    imissbagels Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered this. I mean, you use food as fuel, but aren't you burning off the food and not fat if you eat before? Or are you supposed to do that?

In short, eat when you want to unless you're doing some endurance exercising. Eating before or after a workout is pretty much just a personal preference thing.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    This is a common misconception because people think that your "window of opportunity" is very small when in reality, as long as you get your macros and calories right sometime during the day you're good. Whether you eat once a day or 8 times a day, your body uses the food and nutrition the same way.

ETA: Further reading by someone a bit more knowledgable then I:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/529002-a-compliation-on-meal-frequency
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Generally food is in the stomach for 2-6 hours, nothing is really absorbed here. Then in the small intestine for 3-5 hours where you will begin to absorb a lot of nutrients.

Aslo when you preform strenuous activity, you body diverts blood flow away from the digestive system, slowing it down.

daily goals
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could eat before a work-out. I do my jog in the morning and I'd need an empty stomach for that. When I start going to the gym next week, I'll probably be doing it after 8pm, so I guess I'llh ave to make sure I'm done eating by 6pm.
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I'm and intermittent faster, almost entirely because I like to do my workouts in the morning, and I, personally, end up not feeling well if I've eaten anything heavier than a few cups of coffee. So I get through whatever I'm doing that day, then eat my biggest meal of the day around 'lunchtime'.
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I try to make sure I have not eaten anything for about 2 hours before going for a workout otherwise I can feel quite sick. Once I get back from the gym I make something to eat straight away cos I'm usually really hungry!
  • TequillaLover89
    TequillaLover89 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My best workouts are accomplished by eating something beforehand, even an apple gives me 100000 times more energy.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I like to do both. I like to eat before, usually around an hour before. And after lifting I'm always STARVING haha. I think it's just personal preference. Whatever makes you happy.
  • plbrown81
    plbrown81 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I eat prior to a weight workout, especially with the personal trainer. If I didn't, I'd pass out from lack of fuel. Usually it's a morning workout so I eat egg whites with some salsa or veggies, and an apple or banana with peanut butter. Just enough to give me something to work on, not enough to make me feel overfull or sick. HE would like me to eat immediately after, but I'll admit I rarely do ;)

On the other hand, if I'm going to do cardio I'll usually wait a few hours after eating or NOT eat beforehand (like 1st thing in the morning) simply because it fills me up and makes me feel sluggish and/or gives me a side ache. For my long runs - 3+ miles (which is long for me!) - I usually do them later in the day, after I've been eating. But the same rule applies, no food for about an hour or more ahead of time!

Again, personal preference.