Help I'm stuck at a certain weight!

Options
I just started strength training for the past month and although I feel a little smaller the scale has not changed. But I feel if I eat less carbs I don't have energy for anything. How do you gain muscle, lose fat and make the scale go down? I'm tempted to stop the strength training and just do cardio, ( I only do about 20 mins 5 days a week after lifting weights) but since I have tendinitis on my knees I can not over do it with the cardio. Any suggestions?

Replies

• FiercelyBeautiful
    FiercelyBeautiful Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Protein, protein, eat, dont stop strength training! Incorporating strength can mess with the scale but take your measurements so you can track inches lost!!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I just started strength training for the past month and although I feel a little smaller the scale has not changed. But I feel if I eat less carbs I don't have energy for anything. How do you gain muscle, lose fat and make the scale go down? I'm tempted to stop the strength training and just do cardio, ( I only do about 20 mins 5 days a week after lifting weights) but since I have tendinitis on my knees I can not over do it with the cardio. Any suggestions?

1. You need the carbs for your weight training. That is the energy to get through your workout. That is needed.
    2. You are getting SMALLER...but the scale is not going down.. This may be
    a. subjective... you only feel that way but is not actually the case... feelings can be tricky
    b. real ... more likely the case. Muscle and fat weigh the same... HOWEVER, muscle weighs more per cubic inch... If
    you are building MUSCLE then it is entirely possible to lose inches and gain weight! Is this bad? NO NO NO...

If you are gaining muscle you are doing two things
    1. Making it easier to burn calories... Your basal metabolic rate (the real one .. not the estimate) increases this means,
    you burn more fat even when you are resting, sleeping, or whatever.
    2. Decreasing your body fat percentage.

There are no real brownie points for having your weight at a certain level. Even if you are technically OVERWEIGHT, if it is because you have more than the average amount of muscle, you reap the health benefits, fit in the smaller clothes, and look "hotter".. At that point, who cares WHAT the scale says.. I mean really. I would rather be 6'3" and 225 (25 lbs overweight) with a 13% body fat ratio than to be 180 (well within my IBW range) and have a body fat of 20-25%... The 225 is healthier and looks better and enables me to do a lot more things.

I wish you the very best on your journey.
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options
    Thanks Rasgirl24,! I will definitely increase the protein. Is there a certain amount of grams of protein a day for strength training? I usually just drink those protein shakes before and after my workout, but maybe I am not eating enough protein.
  • mrsrdqz86
    mrsrdqz86 Posts: 19
    Options
    1g of protein per pound of body weight....it will NOT make you gain weight but you will feel like your eating alot
  • mrsrdqz86
    Options
    I like to pre cook chicken breast and ill snack on them when im hungry...good luck! :)
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options
    Thanks kdeaux1959, I'll try to focus more on losing inches not pounds and stick to the strength training. I really do have a lot of muscle tone. I guess that is why i weight so much. It just gets frustrating because I'm trying to exercise and eat right, but the scale does not move. I just have this goal weight that I really want to get to that I have not been able to for years.
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options
    1g of protein per pound of body weight is a lot. I have not been eating that much protein. Snacking on chicken throughout the day is a good idea! I am definitely going to do that. Thanks so much for sharing mrsrdqz86!
  • Moretakitty
    Moretakitty Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My doctor has me on 1g of protein per 10 calories to keep me full. Seems to be working!
  • mrsrdqz86
    Options
    Yeah it seems like a lot at first but protein is very important....whats your diet like if you dont mind me asking? Do you take any vitamins or supplements? I was also stuck for a while for about 3 months! It can be really discouraging but just think of it as a lifestyle change and for the long run and keep up the good work! :)
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options
    I started at 100g of carbs and 100g of protein a day and I was not working out just walking. It was hard to get in the protein in the beginning but then I finally got there. I lowered my carbs between 50-70grams .

I think I am starting to slow down on the protein lately like 80 or 90g daily. And lately my carbs are about 80grams.

I started in April and lost about 13lb but then when i started to lift weight in the beginning of June and stop losing.

I usually have oatmeal and a protein drinks for breakfast and ground meat with salad for lunch. I can't get away from Mexican food so I eat corn tortillas and sometimes flour but small portions. If I eat burgers I only eat one bread and if i eat fries I only have like half of a small. Sometimes a get a sweet tooth so I will have like a fun size m and m package. I started off the diet eating fish for lunch but started get tired of it. I am also trying not to eat too much eggs because i know eggs have a lot of cholesterol. I eat chicken every now and then and sometimes steaks.
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options
    O and I take a multivitamin, fish oil, vitamin c , glucosamine( for tendinitis) and some hair, nails and skin vitamin. I just started eating bananas because I was getting cramps on my legs, which i heard happens on low carb diets because of low potassium.
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options
    1g of protein per 10 calories. How do you calculate that? Like you eat 300 calories and 30g of protein for each meal?
  • Reignofmongo
    Reignofmongo Posts: 137
    Options
    Unfortunately, it's near impossible for a woman to gain muscle while losing fat after the initial couple months of training... Closest thing would be recompesition... This is where you eat at maintenance. By doing this you won't move on the scale, but your BF% will lower. It's not quite as efficient as a cut/bulk phase, but it will allow you to burn fat as well as build muscle. So as long as you keep your protein, carbs, and healthy fats in check. The general rule is 1g of protein for each pound of lean body mass.
  • Reignofmongo
    Reignofmongo Posts: 137
    Options
    O and I take a multivitamin, fish oil, vitamin c , glucosamine( for tendinitis) and some hair, nails and skin vitamin. I just started eating bananas because I was getting cramps on my legs, which i heard happens on low carb diets because of low potassium.

You're thinking of biotin for your hair, skin, and nails. ;)
  • Moretakitty
    Moretakitty Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    That is correct.
    I read all my labels and look for a 1 to 10 ratio. I am on a medically supervised low cal, low carb diet.
  • egutzait
    egutzait Posts: 1 Member
    Options
  • mrsrdqz86
    Options
    I think if you figure out your macros for your own body, youll have a better idea of a range (protein,carbs,fats)...so figure out your daily caloric need and 40% protein,30% carbs,30% fat...from these numbers you could also carb cycle if youd like so on days you workout make it a higher Carb day and rest days lower...does this make sense? Low carb for too long can make you hit a plateau...or if you stay low carb eat a "regular" meal at least once a week ...by mfps calculations i should only have about 45g of protein and 165g of carbs a day!lol so you cant follow them 100%, everyones different..just listen to your body and you shouldnt feel hungry if youre getting adequate macros :)
  • niciemetts
    niciemetts Posts: 49
    Options
    i will just say one thing muscle weighs more than fat........how do you feel.........how are you clothes fitting......you could be losing weight but gaining muscle........don't always rely on the scale :)
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options
    Thanks Reignofmongo, it makes sense.I'm just going to stick to it and continue to watch my protein, carbs and fats. At least people are noticing that I look like I am losing weight. I really do feel better physically from strength training. Later on when I go back to teaching in August i will not be able to strength train 5 days a week anymore so i will cut the fat from eating less. Plus the muscle will still be there to burn it.
  • marpeters
    marpeters Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I just was evaulated by my trainer this week. Had lost 4 pounds on the scale, but had gained 1.5% of fat and gained a little more bulk. I had stopped my hard weight training and cardio routines for more long distance walking getting ready for a half marathon. I am going back to weight training X3 a week, hard interval cardio sessions X5 a week and power yogaX3 a week. AND I'm chucking the scale out the window. I now don't care what the scales say....I want a leaner toned body. My weight will just have to take care of itself. I'm eating right so I'm not worried!