need urgent help!

Options
its been 2 months since i researched (alot) on the type of diet you should have and i have done all that stuff but there is one thing that has become impossible. "SPREADING MY MEALS". .. i tried to break down my 3 large a meals a day to 6 small meals but i always end up eating more than required calories and fat. so plz help me out and plz give a specific answer ie what you should and what time gap should be between each meal.
just becuase of trying to do this theory properly, i gained 3 pounds last year.

also plz i need motivation so plz add me coz the friends i have at the moment (2) are not interacting with me at all!

im 5foot 4" and weight 183. my goal is 125. . NEED UR SUPPORT COZ IM DESPERATE TO LOSE WEIGHT & TO CUT BULLIES OUT OF MY LIFE.:cry:

Replies

• arathena720
    arathena720 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm new here, too. First off, you are awesome just the way you are, girl, and don't ever let anyone tell you different. But if you want to lose weight, you need to have your program fit your lifestyle. Lots of people were losing weight long before the powers that be decided six meals was the way to go. That being said, most researchers agree that breaking up your meals helps keep your metabolism in high gear and burning more calories. I find planning what I'm going to eat and how I'm going to split it up beforehand (night before or that morning) helps to keep the calories in check. I have breakfast shortly after I get up (8 during the summer, 6:15 during the school year). Mid morning snack is around 9:30 or 10, then lunch at 12, snack at 4, dinner at 6:30. What to eat is up to you, but my snacks are usually fruit, nuts, or pretzels. The key for me is planning, planning, planning.

Don't mistake the articles - they say "this is the best way to lose weight", not "if you don't do it this way you'll never lose weight". If you're eating the right amount of calories and getting some exercise, generally you're going to lose weight. Good luck!
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    its been 2 months since i researched (alot) on the type of diet you should have and i have done all that stuff but there is one thing that has become impossible. "SPREADING MY MEALS". .. i tried to break down my 3 large a meals a day to 6 small meals but i always end up eating more than required calories and fat. so plz help me out and plz give a specific answer ie what you should and what time gap should be between each meal.
    just becuase of trying to do this theory properly, i gained 3 pounds last year.

also plz i need motivation so plz add me coz the friends i have at the moment (2) are not interacting with me at all!

im 5foot 4" and weight 183. my goal is 125. . NEED UR SUPPORT COZ IM DESPERATE TO LOSE WEIGHT & TO CUT BULLIES OUT OF MY LIFE.:cry:

6 meals a day does not work for everyone. Clearly, it does not work for you. There's no metabolic advantage to eating 6 meals a day. The only advantage it has is that for some people, it keeps them less hungry.

My advice is to go back to the 3 meals a day strategy.

Alternatively, eat only fruit or veggies (without dressing) for three of the 'meals'.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Three meals, six meals, it doesn't matter. Do whatever works for your lifestyle. What counts is total calories.

And screw the bullies - you are much more than your BMI.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on making the first steps to a healthier lifestyle! It is important to find somethng that works for YOU. If changing to six small meals a day isn't working for you, than don't stress over it. Find something else. I was 252 pounds and reached my goal of 130 pounds. How did I do it? I made up my own program to suit ME. Healthier eating, moderation and portion control. I still allowed myself to indulge from time to time and I didn't starve myself. Exercise and healthier food choices is was helped me lose 122 pounds in a year. If you set your mind to it, you can do it!
  • charlestonchickk
    charlestonchickk Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I totally agree with Arathena720! And...make sure you are eating enough total calories daily. If you are starving your body, splitting your intake into 6 portions will still leave you ravenous! I also find that each day can be a little different depending on activity levels. Don't put yourself into a single mold. Think of the week as a whole. Eat more one day and less another. Keep tricking your metabolism so it doesn't get stuck.

Eating some almonds with a meal lowers the glycemic index of your meal, so....your blood sugar doesn't raise as much, so.....you stay fuller longer! Eat a protein at every meal and every snack!!! It will work wonders.

Love yourself right now, just as if you were one of your friends. We are so hard on ourselves. I am an older woman, now post menopausal, and it's hell to even lose a pound. It took me 2 years of trying and screwing up and researching to find what now is working for me. I can lose about a pound a week if I stay on "the plan". Keep going!!

Kathy Ann
  • Pam165
    Pam165 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Successly losing weight requires attention to more than just the number or frequency of meals. Eating is the calorie / nutrition part. The other half of the equation is the output--your personal activity level. The closer your overall program matches your daily routine, commitments, likes, dislikes, etc, the more successful you will be.

Can you give us some idea of what your typical day entails--work, school, sitting, standing, walking, sleep habits, favorite foods, etc? With a little more information about your specific details, some of us will be in a better position to offer suggestions for the most effective solutions.

As for the bullies, forget about them (much easier said than done, but it can be done). You are special and unique and the only one like you. You have value because of who you are. The bullies are bullies because they haven't found their own self worth and chose to see their own value by devaluing others. Bullies are losers! Remind yourself often that you are special. Develop a picture in your mind of the "you" you want to see, and keep that vision in your mind. Put reminders in places you frequent, such as the bathroom mirror, closet door,
  • mjpingel
    mjpingel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Plan your food ahead of time. Have it all journalled at the beginning of your day and don't eat anything that isn't on your journal. Don't worry about what times of day you eat those things. If you know you are only going to be able to eat three meals then do it in three meals. If you know you are going to a birthday party and are going to have a piece of cake then journal that in and make it work within your calorie range. My husband KNOWS he sleeps better if he has something right before bed and so he'll plan that into his day.
    You need to find what works for YOU.
    I'm 5'3" and weigh 220lbs. I have many people that love me regardless. Get the toxic people out of your life and only be with positive people. I truly believe that 90% of weightloss is mental and you have to fix your head along with your health.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I don't do 6 meals a day. But I DO eat 6 times a day. I eat:

Breakfast
    Morning Snack
    Lunch
    Afternoon Snack 1
    Afternoon Snack 2
    Dinner

I never go more than 3 hours without eating. My food day goes something like this:

7am: Breakfast
    930-10am: Morning Snack
    12-1pm : Lunch
    2-3pm: Afternoon Snack 1
    4-5pm: Afternoon Snack 2
    630 -7pm: Dinner

My trigger times of day are afternoon, so I learned to eat snacks during this time else I'd gorge at dinner. REMEMBER your snacks are just that: snacks! Try to keep each food snack 100, 150 calories or less, and if you drink something other than water at snack time too you must record it.
  • pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Here's what works for me. Maybe it works for you, maybe not. I work out in the morning (5:00 a.m.) so I usually eat a yogurt before I leave. Afterwards I eat a big breakfast; sometimes 700 calories or more. A simple snack of fruit or cheese around 10:00. Lunch at 1:00. Another snack of fruit or cheese around 3:00 and dinner at 6:00. Some days I'll have another snack in the evening.

However, I don't have to lose any weight. I joined MFP to eliminate the junk from my diet. I never drink soda and rarely eat fast food. I ate a lot of cookies, donuts and cake but managed to run or cycle off the calories.

There is no magic formula as to how many meals you should eat. The trick is to keep from getting so hungary that you eat a huge stack of pancakes with butter and syrup, or two big hamburgers and a plateful of fries, or two big bowls of pasta with creamy alfredo sauce.

Good luck in your quest to lose weight. Stay committed to logging you calories each day and you will have great success.
  • lmbw126
    lmbw126 Posts: 24
    Options
    As the others have said do what works for you body. I currently eat 6 meals a day. I space out my calories through the meals.
    Breakfast
    Snack
    Lunch
    Snack
    Dinner
    Snack (optional)

For me I use the most calories for dinner because I was a night time grazer. So I know I have to have a big salad and protein for dinner. I have noticed that for me I need to eat a protein portion with every meal and I eat a lot of fiber as well in my diet. It keeps meal satisifed throughout the day. I space my meals about 3 hours apart. BUT there are numerous ways to divide your calories throughout the day to help you stay in your caloric range and eat 6 meals/day. For example, if your caloric intake is ~1400 cals/day:
    Bfast-250 cals
    snack- 200 cals
    Lunch- 300cals
    snack- 200 cals
    dinner- 450 cals/1400 per day

or some people eat their largest caloric meal at lunch time because they have the rest of the day to burn off calories. It's pretty much trial and error. You have to find out what works best for your body. If 3 meals work better for you then go for it. Good luck and happy training.
  • bporter30080
    Options
    Congrats so far on your journey! As far as your question, try to space the 6 meals out about 2.5-3 hrs. Eating more frequently raises your metabolism, eating 6 smaller meals that is. Even 5 meals work. Def beneficially to losing weight. Try to have 3 reg type meals and 2-3 snacks. Snacks can be greek yogurt and fruit, RTD protein shake etc. so it doesn't neccesarily have to be be 6 full on meals if that makes sense. Trying eating your first meal within 20 mins of waking up in the morning, that kick starts your metabolism. then space out the rest of the meals accordingly.
  • fatima147
    fatima147 Posts: 85
    Options
    Hi there! I'm new here, too. First off, you are awesome just the way you are, girl, and don't ever let anyone tell you different. But if you want to lose weight, you need to have your program fit your lifestyle. Lots of people were losing weight long before the powers that be decided six meals was the way to go. That being said, most researchers agree that breaking up your meals helps keep your metabolism in high gear and burning more calories. I find planning what I'm going to eat and how I'm going to split it up beforehand (night before or that morning) helps to keep the calories in check. I have breakfast shortly after I get up (8 during the summer, 6:15 during the school year). Mid morning snack is around 9:30 or 10, then lunch at 12, snack at 4, dinner at 6:30. What to eat is up to you, but my snacks are usually fruit, nuts, or pretzels. The key for me is planning, planning, planning.

Don't mistake the articles - they say "this is the best way to lose weight", not "if you don't do it this way you'll never lose weight". If you're eating the right amount of calories and getting some exercise, generally you're going to lose weight. Good luck!

makes alot of sense... thank you very much
  • fatima147
    Options
    Here's what works for me. Maybe it works for you, maybe not. I work out in the morning (5:00 a.m.) so I usually eat a yogurt before I leave. Afterwards I eat a big breakfast; sometimes 700 calories or more. A simple snack of fruit or cheese around 10:00. Lunch at 1:00. Another snack of fruit or cheese around 3:00 and dinner at 6:00. Some days I'll have another snack in the evening.

However, I don't have to lose any weight. I joined MFP to eliminate the junk from my diet. I never drink soda and rarely eat fast food. I ate a lot of cookies, donuts and cake but managed to run or cycle off the calories.

There is no magic formula as to how many meals you should eat. The trick is to keep from getting so hungary that you eat a huge stack of pancakes with butter and syrup, or two big hamburgers and a plateful of fries, or two big bowls of pasta with creamy alfredo sauce.

Good luck in your quest to lose weight. Stay committed to logging you calories each day and you will have great success.

that did worked for me!... thanks alot. very appreciated
  • fatima147
    Options
    i would like to thank every body for their time,help and support. and i just want to share that i did try 6 meals a day thing and sadly it didn't work. i know that because i ended up feeling very very very hungry around 10pm ish and could not hold it in any longer. i ate alot that day!!! however usually with my 3 meals, i feel full for longer and so my hunger doesn't become any issue.

thanks again everybody. i must say poeple on MFP are more friendly than any other place. :smile: