Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Running advice needed for increasing distance

I have been running for a couple of weeks now and I can now do 30mins without stopping. This only seems to equate to 2.5-2.8 miles depending on my pace. (distance measured on treadmill) Yesterday I pushed on and did 3.3miles but that was at a slower pace and took over 40mins.

The c2k5 week 9 seems to just be running for 30 mins, which I can manage already.

The question I have is what do you do if you run slower than this. I am typically about 5.0-5.2mph. Do I just force myself to run at 10k/hr (closer to 6.2mph)? Is this the pace other people are aiming at?

I have a 10k charity run in 9 weeks. My running at the moment is to train for this.

Replies

• chrissyrn04
    chrissyrn04 Posts: 119 Member
    I am not the fastest runner - I have gotten faster with adding speed drills but when I started I was the same as you. I would suggest instead of adding mileage you add time. Every week add 5 min to your 30 min run at as close to the same pace as you have been doing. In 6 weeks you will be able to run 60 min which should put you alittle under a 10k distance wise but on race day you should be able to push out a 10k .
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 430 Member
    Don't forget if you have successfully finished C25k, they have another program B210k (Bridge to 10k). Maybe that would help.

I didn't use it because I just added time/mileage every week. Now running a 10 k is a piece of cake and I'm training for a half-marathon.

Good luck!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    There are 2 programs you can look into (that I know of). Couch to 10k - same concept as c25k, you would need to find what week you are on and start in the middle). The other program is called One Hour Runner.
  • ChefSuzzieQ
    ChefSuzzieQ Posts: 119
    interval training could help you. Run some sprints and some hills at a high effort. Then when you are just running at a set pace it should seem easier. That is what I do anyway. Or each time you run you can bump up you pace by .2 or something like that. Push it out for as long as you can and if you need to drop back down to your normal pace, but not below. Eventually it will get easier. That is what I did to get ready for my last 10k and I cut over 6 minutes off my time.
  • meliad
    meliad Posts: 71
    I had great success at using Bill Phillips 20 min cardio solution to increase my running pace. I would vary your running workouts.
    Like Monday and Wednesday and Friday do the 20 min speed focused workout. Tuesday and Thursday get outside and just run an easy pace with some sort of distance goal (walking parts of it is okay) and then Saturday work on increasing your time at your goal pace. And don't forget a rest day.
  • chrissyrn04
    chrissyrn04 Posts: 119 Member
    The book "Train like a mother" has some great training plans for all distances too...
  • I agree with slowly adding time. And slowing your pace is ok!!!! You don't have to be super speedy. Running is an endurance sport. The elite runner can basically spring half marathons and the like but us normal runners take a bit longer. Pacing yourself if very important. Start out just a bit slower and increase your speed little by little through out the run. In my experience, running on a treadmill is quite a bit easier than running outside. Either get a few runs done outside or increase the incline on the treadmill to 1-1.5% to help equal out what you'd find outside with wind resistance and small inclines. Increasing your mileage too quickly can cause injury so be careful. There are a lot of training plans out there that can help you get ready. If you have to walk for 30 or 60 seconds here and there, that's ok too. It doesn't mean you"re not a runner.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    You would increase you distance differently than increasing your pace, and I would do them separately. Personally I would increase the distance first, about 10% at a time at any pace. If you have to slow do to increase your distance or take walking breaks - fine. Once you can handle the distance, work up your pace by doing interval training.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    You & I are in the same boat, exactly!

I'm a treadmill runner... I started my C25K at 5.5 on the treadmill. Now that I've just finished... I'm upping my speed every couple of days by 0.1. Now I'm definitely at 5.7, & going to push toward 6.3... because I think that's the speed that will have me at 5k in 30min.

Edited to add: Have you checked out the "Bridge to 10k" program?
  • Faeriegirl74
    Faeriegirl74 Posts: 187 Member
    When I started out, I was very very slow... I was a walker... 19 min/mile... then I joined C25k.... then a slow run/walk group and completed my first half marathon doing 1:1 running ratio intervals the entire way... two years later - I still run intervals...but I can now complete a half in 3 hours instead of 3:40....and I'm training for a full marathon with a run/walk group as a pace leader.

Do your training slow so that race day you will be fast! I know it sounds strange, but trust me, it works. Also, the more time you add on your feet... the better quality runs you will have. Don't increase your time more than 10% per week for your runs... I love Jeff Galloway and all he has brought for running... I suggest his books...

Many distance runners are conscientious about putting in miles or running quality speed workouts, but these same runners often neglect an important aspect of the training package: Strides. Strides help you by training your muscles to run fast and relaxed over a short distance should translate into faster, relaxed running at longer distances. Read this article by Runner's World - http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-263--12544-0,00.html

The minute your foot hit the pavement and your behind left the couch, you became a runner.
  • I struggled with being a slow runner. I even used to cringe at calling it running. So many people seemed to consider themselves "jogging" when they were running a good 2 mph faster than me! I couldn't fathom how they did it. I beat myself up over it.

When I decided to increase distance I used a half marathon training plan. It had me running for a specific amount of time 2-3 days a week and then for a specific distance (usually more distance each week) one day per week. I was always amazed when I could meet the "long" distance that week - and yes, I did have to do it a bit slower than my normal pace and there were times when I ran each mile progressively slower. The day I ran 8 miles in brutal winds I felt like a rock star.

What I found out about pace... the more you run, the faster you'll be able to do those shorter distances. Speed drills will help also. I also started asking people who could run so fast how long they'd been running. Many of them had been running for years and years... much more than my 1.5 years... and I figured out it could likely be just like any other sport. I can't decide to start and then expect to be as good at it as someone who has been doing it for years. Sure, some people will have a natural talent. Some people will be in better shape.... but mostly, it will take practice and hard work.

My advice is to find a group of runners who move at a slower pace and celebrate your victories with them. Find a training program to help you schedule your distance increases. And remember: work on distance OR speed... not both at the same time.

Good luck!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    in training, there are two types of running: run to increase distance, run to increase speed. never do both on the same day.

i'm glad you are tracking your distance. only increase your distance about 10% each week. only one run a week should be done to increase distance.

to increase speed, do a speed work out like HIIT, 400 meter repeats, or a bunch of 100 meter dashes. do this once a week.

if you have a day, do some drills. here you go: http://artofmanliness.com/2009/02/10/5-conditioning-drills/

one run a week should be a "normal" run, where you run a distance and pace that you are comfortable with.

don't neglect strength training. dead lifts, squats, and lunges will strengthen the muscles used in running. if you have two days to devote to strength training, one day should be heavy weights/low reps, and one should be some lighter weights/higher reps.

don't neglect your upper body. there is a saying in track: you can only run as fast as you can swing your arms. push ups, pull ups, dips, shoulder presses, kettle bell swings, and other exercises that target your chest, back, and shoulders are an integral part of running. (note, i didn't say biceps and triceps, because if you do proper compound exercises, these two smaller muscles will be targeted. no need to do isolation exercises.)
  • Venturin
    Venturin Posts: 244 Member
    I have been running (jogging really) for about 3 weeks and have steadily increased my distance. I do not set longer distance goals, I just go as long as I can comfortably and am finding I can go further. I have not attempted to go faster, except for extra speed bursts right at the end of a run.

Yesterday during my run I realized I was running faster! It just seemed to happen naturally. I was at a pace of a full minute less per mile than before. I also managed to, for the first time, run non-stop for a full 10K (6.2 miles)

So for me I have not set expectations or concrete goals, I have just been running each time as long as I am able and am seeing steady improvements in distance and now in speed increases as well.

-V-
  • larkiedeek
    larkiedeek Posts: 203 Member
    Thanks for all taking the time to reply.

I'll just stick to increasing the time I run at in increments untill I can hit the 60 min mark. MFP is great for tracking these things as I can put it in as a note. Completing the distance is my short-term goal, not the speed I do it in.

I got an injury when I did a high speed run (over 6mph) at the end of one of my earlier runs and don't want another set-back. Compression shorts are the future!

As already mentioned, I'm still running faster than someone sitting on a couch.:happy:
  • larkiedeek
    There are 2 programs you can look into (that I know of). Couch to 10k - same concept as c25k, you would need to find what week you are on and start in the middle). The other program is called One Hour Runner.

The One Hour Runner looks PERFECT!!!!

Thanks for that. I love that you only do the big distance once a week with shorter runs the rest of the week.
  • I am trying to increase my distance as well. I actually stopped timing myself, because I wanted to focus only on the distance I was running without walking breaks. I do run intervals on the treadmill at the gym twice a week, but I have a difficult time with it. I run much better when I am outside. On a treadmill, I am staying in one place. But outside I am actually going somewhere! I think that alone keeps me running. Good luck!
  • larkiedeek
    I got one of these Bridge 2 10k programs.

It is the hardest run I have done :happy:

I even managed to increase speed to 6mph. That was hard!