Is Fitbit worth it?

Options
2»

Replies

• goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I've been using this about three weeks now.

This is a pedometer. Not extremely accurate at that. I keep it in my pants pocket. By the time I put my pants on I have 27 to 37 steps logged. It also does not always count stairs (floors) and has at least one time given me two floors I did not climb at all.

The sleep feature? It really doesn't work all that well. It showed me asleep when I know for a fact I was not -- I was reading and petting the cat. It did tell me how many times I got up during the night but I don't need a gadget to tell me that.

Customer service is horrible. No phone. You have to email them and their emails are not always helpful and they may not even respond.

This product enjoys it's popularity because of people raving about it to each other -- selling each other on buying this expensive gadget. Also the Fitbit website with it's individual "dashboards" makes the data somewhat useful and people enjoy competing with one another.

If you're a runner or walk a lot, you'll likely enjoy this unit. Of course, there are more accurate pedometers for about half the price.

But it's NOT an activity monitor. It won't track any activity but steps. Oh, you'll get some numbers but they won't be right. Close at times but not really right and lots of variables come into play.

If you buy into the hype, get the unit. It's a fun little play thing. But if you're just wanting to gauge your steps, get a decent pedometer that doesn't cost so much.
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I like mine a lot. I have had it about 2 months and I am still losing at about the same rate I was before I purchased it (3-4 lbs per month). What I like about it has to do with motivating me to do a few more steps (okay, miles usually) of walking each day plus climbing steps which I don't normally do otherwise.

Failings: the FB does not accurately measure steps on the elliptical and doesn't measure exertion from lifting weights.
    Positives: motivation factor, great website with good information and really encouraging people, cost, doesn't scream out that you are wearing it.

Depending on your goals it could be extremely helpful. For me I want to lose 50-lbs total, of which I have lost 20 already. I am trying to lose it at a rate that it won't come back on and it will be sustainable for life, and what the FB does help me with is realizing how much I am burning so I know how much I can eat (aim for 250 calories to 500 less than burn right now) during the course of the day. Since it is inexpensive compared to many other trackers, to me it was well worth the $$.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do. I do have to agree with the folks who say the darn thing owns you though; it is addictive.
  • ginaquinn2
    ginaquinn2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Once you have a fitbit, it own you, you don't own it, lol. I've had mine since May and I can't imagine being without it. The calories you burn every day just doing your business is an eye opener. I'd recommend it for anyone.

Yes to the above. I cannot imagine being without it. It has encouraged me to increase my exercise as it acts like your little personal trainer. I just got my first 12 week fitbit report: The Fitness Plan has helped you to move from Lightly active up to Active activity level. "You increased your overall activity level by 71%.
    Your average activity level during the length of the Fitness Plan was Fairly active"
    I just love the encouragement you get from it! I don't think the fitbit alone will do it. I have really improved my over-all fitness but now I know that I need to increase the INTENSITY of my activities. I can stand and walk in place all day long and get a thousands of steps each day......walk slowly for hours and not see much change in my weight. I believe Fitbit is a wonderful tool. I have come to believe not just getting the steps and stairs but that I need REAL cardio where I really get my heart rate up. My next step is a Heart Rate Monitor. I really believe I need to kick it up a notch--work harder--sweat and keep my heart rate up for sustained periods of time for me to move to the next level of fitness. You can't go wrong with the Fitbit it is a great tool to help move you forward--but more is needed if you really want to get fit.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I've been using this about three weeks now.

This is a pedometer. Not extremely accurate at that. I keep it in my pants pocket. By the time I put my pants on I have 27 to 37 steps logged. It also does not always count stairs (floors) and has at least one time given me two floors I did not climb at all.

The sleep feature? It really doesn't work all that well. It showed me asleep when I know for a fact I was not -- I was reading and petting the cat. It did tell me how many times I got up during the night but I don't need a gadget to tell me that.

Customer service is horrible. No phone. You have to email them and their emails are not always helpful and they may not even respond.

This product enjoys it's popularity because of people raving about it to each other -- selling each other on buying this expensive gadget. Also the Fitbit website with it's individual "dashboards" makes the data somewhat useful and people enjoy competing with one another.

If you're a runner or walk a lot, you'll likely enjoy this unit. Of course, there are more accurate pedometers for about half the price.

But it's NOT an activity monitor. It won't track any activity but steps. Oh, you'll get some numbers but they won't be right. Close at times but not really right and lots of variables come into play.

If you buy into the hype, get the unit. It's a fun little play thing. But if you're just wanting to gauge your steps, get a decent pedometer that doesn't cost so much.

Well there are a few twists to the fitbit, pocket not sure, I wear mine clipped to my bra, calibrated my steps to see how it did was pretty pleased after I measured my stride and realized my stride length was under the default 24 inches. Driving can trigger it recording stairs when you didn't climb them since it based on an accelerometer, really overdone on my motorcycle but I just check before i leave, and record ride time when I return, not a big deal and it eliminates incorrectly recorded stairs.. So yes, like any fairly new tech it isn't perfect but if you detect the issues then you can easily eliminate most inaccuracies. Also, stairs only count if they rise 10 ft or more, lots of stairs are more like 8 feet or so and won't count. So read the help forums a bit and it can help increase it's accuracy. IT IS A TOOL not a do all end all.
  • brendasnz1
    brendasnz1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The fitbit won't make you lose weight, but maybe, like me, after having mine for 2 months it encourages me to walk up those stairs or to walk on the spot for 10 mins before bed. (& to try & make sure I get 8hrs sleep each night!) For me it's like a game to get to that 10,000 steps each day (& not always an easy one!).
    No. It's not the answer for a hard out *kitten* kicking workout. Get a personal trainer or a heart rate monitor to get really serious.

But for motivation? For me it works & keeps me making active choices - so for me that's good enough. Whether running or walking I care about my steps at the end. I have trouble sticking to things long term - I go all hard out boot camp, gym etc then fizzle - but this is obtainable every day & motivates me to want to do more. And isn't that the point of MFP? For motivation & encouragement? So whether a fitbit or something else I hope that you find you motivation tool too!
  • rowdylibrarian
    rowdylibrarian Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You all convinced me! I ordered it this morning! Thank you all for your help!