Avocado recipes...

Options
Woooolywool
Woooolywool Posts: 136 Member
Okay, so I've got this avocado in my fridge that's pretty ripe, and needs to be used up soon. So, I was wondering whether anyone could recommend any snack ideas/light lunches which incorporate the avocado. I've only once tried it before, and that was in a salad, cut up...though I liked the taste, I didn't find the consistency altogether palatable.

And I was thinking..well, maybe I haven't given it a fair chance..maybe I should try having it with different foods etc.

Any suggestions? :)

Thanks,
Jess.
x

Replies

• Gemma1317
    Gemma1317 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Mash it with some chilli, lime juice & finely chopped onion to make a guacomole style dip. great with carrot sticks :-)
  • viannee
    viannee Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Avocado smoothie!
  • nhga47
    nhga47 Posts: 118
    Options
    Guacomole! :) And yes carrot sticks or some other substitute for chips :)
  • redipso
    redipso Posts: 2
    Options
    Cut it into thin peices and put it on a club sandwich.
  • profgal43
    profgal43 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It's really great on a turkey club. You can slice it thin or mash it a bit and use it in place of Mayo on anything. Make sure its really ripe for best flavor. It should be dark and give to the touch. It's also good chopped in many kinds of salads. I'm an avocado addict lately!
  • nortx
    nortx Posts: 130
    Options
    I mixed some tuna with a tbsp of light mayo and a couple of chopped grapes, and mounded it on top of the cut halves. It was pretty delicious.
  • kbaharaeen
    Options
    The Eating Well website has a great recipe for Creamy Avocado and White Bean Wrap that uses one avocado. They are delicious and work well for a take-along lunch or picnic.
  • lil_bit_crazy
    lil_bit_crazy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I had avacado in sushi rolls ...didn't care for it. But I love seafood.
    was it the avacado or the sushi roll itself? What is it supposed to taste like? The texture?I thot the texture is what I didn't care for. I'll try again ...but have very limited expense $ for "new" foods that could get tossed.
    Any ideas for super cheap avacado "tests"?
  • inagaddadavegan
    inagaddadavegan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I've got this avocado in my fridge that's pretty ripe, and needs to be used up soon. So, I was wondering whether anyone could recommend any snack ideas/light lunches which incorporate the avocado. I've only once tried it before, and that was in a salad, cut up...though I liked the taste, I didn't find the consistency altogether palatable.

And I was thinking..well, maybe I haven't given it a fair chance..maybe I should try having it with different foods etc.

Any suggestions? :)

Thanks,
    Jess.
    x

I cut those babies in half, pop out the pit, drizzle them with sriracha sauce and eat them right out of the skin with a spoon :D

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=419644311384230&set=a.269669799715016.87105.100000159955398&type=1&theater
  • jenzsd
    jenzsd Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I like to just cut them in half, take out the pit of course, stab the avocado with a fork several times to make little holes, drizzle in a littttle bit of balsamic vinegar, sprinkle on some salt and pepper and eat it that way. Or it's good to do the same as above, mash it up, and spread it on a piece of toast. Good, tasty, filling snack, and with the toast the texture is not as bothersome (if the texture is an issue for someone).
  • Trutra
    Trutra Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I go the opposite way and have them sweet, lol.

Mash them up, put a little vinegar in and sugar to taste. Eat on toast, or in a sandwich.
  • alisont91
    alisont91 Posts: 54
    Options
    A few of my favorite ways to use them are:
    -use it instead of mayo in chicken, egg, or tuna salad sandwiches
    -on a piece of toast with an over easy egg on top
    -guacamole
    -avocado yogurt dip: http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/creamy-avocado-yogurt-dip/
    -chop with black beans, tomato, cilantro and sprinkle with lime juice for a quick salad
    -fill the hole (from the pit) with sour cream and salsa, eat with a spoon
    -put parmesan cheese on top and place under the broiler
    -make deviled eggs and use it instead of mayo
    -put it in an omelette

i love avocados, if you couldn't tell! haha :)
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Google "15 minute creamy avocado pasta"

Be forewarned - its addictive!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Here is a great easy recipe that will cover up the texture for you.

Feta summer "salad" with avocado:

1/2 avocado, cubed
    1/2 cup heirloom tomatoes, halved (regular tomatoes are fine)
    1/8 cup chopped red onion
    1/2 cup cucumber or grilled zucchini (whichever you prefer)
    1 broccoli stem chopped into small sticks for added crunch (this is optional)
    1 tbsp. olive oil
    1/4 cup feta cheese
    1-2 tsp. balsamic vinegar

Mix all veggies together in a bowl. Top with cheese, oil and vinegar, gently toss together and enjoy immediately. Works as a side dish or an entire meal. Throw in some cooked chicken breast for added protein.
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Robin1109
    Robin1109 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite sandwiches I've ever discovered is an Avocado Reuben. I went back to vegetarianism at the beginning of this year, but would struggle sometimes thinking of the food I was no longer going to eat. I came across the Avocado Reuben recipe on PETA's website. To make this even a little more low-cal, I use Arnold Sandwich Thins instead of the rye bread. It sounds a little strange, but if you're someone who likes reubens anyway (or sauerkraut for that matter), this is a home run.

http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-living/recipes/avocado-reuben.aspx
  • sums_net
    sums_net Posts: 24
    Options
    Try 1 Banana, Avacado and a drizzle of honey with almond milk or coconut milk.. or simply milk. That smoothie is sooooooo delicious!