intermitent fasting

Options
im stuck at fat loss and have been hearing alot of good about this fasting,do im gonna give the 36 hr fast a try starting today,whats everyones thought on this type of diet.....good or bad?

Replies

• justanotherbrickinthewall
    Options
    I really don't recommend fasting. Lowering your calorie intake, yes. Not eating, no. Most people after fasting eat a lot more food than he/sh usually would because they're so hungry. Not eating can cause you to get moody because of the adrenaline your body releases when you don't eat so fasting is mostly bad all around. I definitely think you shouldn't do it.
  • prats_win
    prats_win Posts: 6
    Options
    iam also facing the same problem to get raid of final fat but leaving the body soo long without feeding can increase insulin sensitivity for short time insulin gonna spike very high so when you turn to normal diet the insulin will spike high again more than it require that may increase fat deposit that what i come to know about this diet but anyway there is no solid proof of this its just an advice............
  • wesellee
    wesellee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    ive droped to 1800 cals and no result just tired more often
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    This is not helpful, but when I read your topic without wearing my glasses, I thought it said "intermittent TASTING" -- I guess that's when you're cooking and you taste what you're cooking intermittently. Yeah, that's not a good way to lose weight ... LOL!

I do know a couple who does intermittent fasting once per week and they've lost a lot of weight together that way, pairing it with eating a "slow food" diet. I'm not really clear on the particulars (I don't do well on programs that restrict me that much so I haven't paid a whole lot of attention, frankly), but they really like it. The also keep one weekly "cheat day". Message me if you'd like me to get more info for you. (Oh, and if you do, remind me what I'm supposed to find out -- my eyes aren't the only things about me that are weakening with age!)
  • ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a 36 hour fast once a week since the first week in May. I just decided to try it mainly because I was just getting a bit bored and I wanted a little more wiggle room for eating most days while still remaining within my overall calorie goal, so I just redistributed the calories I saved by not eating the one day a week over the remaining six days. It has worked out well for me. I am not losing any more by doing it this way (still losing a bit over a lb. a week as before) but, in my case, I did not reduce my overall calorie deficit for the week. I have been lucky and have not hit a plateau during my weight loss journey so it was not my intention to lose weight any more rapidly.

Others might have a different experience with this type of fast, especially if they haven't done any kind of fasting before, but I have found it quite easy. I don't generally feel hungry at all until about 8:00 in the evening on the fasting day and it is just little notions that are easily dismissed. I usually turn in a little earlier than usual on my fasting day and by the next morning I no longer feel hungry and usually delay breakfast for two or three hours after I get up.

My fasts last from about 8:30 the evening before until about 8:30 or so the morning after the fasting day. As someone else already mentioned it might help to break your plateau as long as you don't end up binging. In my case, I have no desire to eat more than usual the day following the fast and I just resume a normal day of eating within the calorie goals I have set.

If you wish to try it, good luck and let us know how it went.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I really don't recommend fasting. Lowering your calorie intake, yes. Not eating, no. Most people after fasting eat a lot more food than he/sh usually would because they're so hungry. Not eating can cause you to get moody because of the adrenaline your body releases when you don't eat so fasting is mostly bad all around. I definitely think you shouldn't do it.

Adrenalin is a catalyst for fat loss.

Most people binging is also inaccurate...though some do.

To the OP, I would recommend two 24hr fasts, over one 36hr fast. The benefits of fasting are dramatically decreased after the 24hr mark. If you PM me your email...I can send you some documentation that might help you make a more informed choice.
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a leangains type of fasting for the past 3 weeks.... 16 hours fast, 8 hour feed. I broke through my plateau. I have also experimented with 24 hour fasts..... for example eat dinner on sunday then not eat until dinner time on Monday. It is very do-able. It is a great way to reduce your overall caloric intake and it also teaches you to really understand your hunger signals. I had been doing the eat every 2-3 hour routine and I just found I was always hungry and I ended up overeating. Read Eat. Stop. Eat. for more info.....
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    I have been doing a leangains type of fasting for the past 3 weeks.... 16 hours fast, 8 hour feed. I broke through my plateau. I have also experimented with 24 hour fasts..... for example eat dinner on sunday then not eat until dinner time on Monday. It is very do-able. It is a great way to reduce your overall caloric intake and it also teaches you to really understand your hunger signals. I had been doing the eat every 2-3 hour routine and I just found I was always hungry and I ended up overeating. Read Eat. Stop. Eat. for more info.....

If he emails me...I can help with this :)
  • justanotherbrickinthewall
    Options

To the OP, I would recommend two 24hr fasts, over one 36hr fast. The benefits of fasting are dramatically decreased after the 24hr mark. If you PM me your email...I can send you some documentation that might help you make a more informed choice.

I know adrenaline is, but the fight or flight response that gets stimulated when you don't eat can cause mood swings which aren't the best. I was speaking from personal experience and things I've heard from people who have tried fasting. I didn't say that that always happens.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

I know adrenaline is, but the fight or flight response that gets stimulated when you don't eat can cause mood swings which aren't the best. I was speaking from personal experience and things I've heard from people who have tried fasting. I didn't say that that always happens.

The people I know (a substantial number actually...I 24hr fast 3x a week) who experienced mood swings said they went away within a week or two. Funny...most people on a restricted calorie diet suffer from mood swings and overt grumpiness anyhow...so I fail to see it as an issue. Also...please understand, that I'm not refuting your personal experiences. I'm just making the point that out of literally hundreds of people I know or have known that IF...your experiences fall within the vast minority...and are usually very short lived.
  • l3rob
    l3rob Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I say try a fast day. I do them once in a while, but I have to be in the right frame of mind or I won't succeed. When I do this, I use a supplement powder that you mix with water several times throughout the day to provide your body with nutrients.

P.S. Its easier for me to do than dropping calories too much for extended periods and making me feel tired all the time.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    From all my reading - it has various risks - for most people not advisable of they have to work at a job, because of swings in moods and blood sugars. Also check with a doctor first, etc.

On the other hand I've done full 3 day fasts, water only, twice while working in an office. I did it for detox, not weight loss and I found no ill effects, no headaches. I got very hungry by the end of day 3.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    From all my reading - it has various risks - for most people not advisable of they have to work at a job, because of swings in moods and blood sugars. Also check with a doctor first, etc.

Can you please tell me what risks you're suggesting here? Again...I fast for 24hrs three days a week. I work a very demanding (both mentally and physically) construction job...in 110f plus degree weather. On my fasted days...I go to the gym...and lift heavy BEFORE going home and finally eating. Fasting has had a positive impact on my strength, my alertness at work...and my overall ability to perform under various conditions.

I've been fasting for about a year. I have no negatives to report...and tons of positives.

*shrug*
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    when i fast, i lose weight a lot quicker.
    i like it.
  • Maridar
    Maridar Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I only fasted once for 36 hours for medical reasons. I drank liquids only, green tea, bullion (clear soup liquid). It was a bit hard but doable, I lost two pounds, surprise. Now I know I can do it. Drink instant miso soup, green tea, lots of water, you'll be fine but starting with maybe just 8 or 12 hours first and then increasing. Opinons are different, especially medical, some say it's bad, others recommend it, I htink you can only judge by how it makes you feel experiencing it yourself. Remeber Paul Bragg (?) who did water fasting for prolonged periods of time? And it is important to stay busy so your mind does not keep thinking of food all the time.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options

Can you please tell me what risks you're suggesting here? Again...I fast for 24hrs three days a week. I work a very demanding (both mentally and physically) construction job...in 110f plus degree weather. On my fasted days...I go to the gym...and lift heavy BEFORE going home and finally eating. Fasting has had a positive impact on my strength, my alertness at work...and my overall ability to perform under various conditions.

I've been fasting for about a year. I have no negatives to report...and tons of positives.

*shrug*

I'm suggesting that people be careful, just cause it works for you and me does not mean its safe for everyone. People I know can get sick it they have not eaten for 5 hours.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

*shrug*

I'm suggesting that people be careful, just cause it works for you and me does not mean its safe for everyone. People I know can get sick it they have not eaten for 5 hours.

Its already been stated that if you have any medical condition impacted by diet you should consider carefully and/or consult a doctor before fasting for extended periods. It's recommended you see a doctor before beginning ANY diet.

I knew people who got sick after not eating for five hours too. Guess what? To date everyone of them successfully fasts for 16-24hr periods without issue.

All I asked you is what risks you were suggesting. So far I haven't seen any realistic ones. And please...this is nothing against you at all. Your recommendation to be careful is not only valid, but appreciated even by me. The overall message in your post however...went beyond that.

Thus my reply.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Don't do it your gonna diiiiiieeeeee

Kidding I do 16/8 fasting everyday for the last 6 months and I love it
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Eatstopeat is a great read about this. Like always make a decision best for you. Tom venuto is a good read and he talks about this too.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Eatstopeat is a great read about this. Like always make a decision best for you. Tom venuto is a good read and he talks about this too.

If he sends me his email address, I'll send him a copy.