Favourite Fun (themed) Runs?

Options
miracole
miracole Posts: 492 Member
I'm sure something on this topic has been posted before but I thought I'd revive it. What are everyone's favourite races? Specifically those that have a fun theme attached to them? I just finished the third annual Perth Kilt Run in Perth Ontario in which everyone wears a running kilt and races 8km (5 miles). This was my third time doing this race and I just love it!

What races do you run that have a fun theme and where are they?? Am always interested in finding great races and am very willing to travel to attend!

Other themed/fun races that I've done: Spartan Race ('nuff said), the Santa Shuffle (everyone wears santa hats, including my dog!), Rattle Me Bones (halloween race run in costumes), the Cookie Race (girlguide cookies are the reward)

Replies

• tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I always support Wounded Warrior (and several other veteran programs) as well as the Disco runs. There is nothing quite like a Disco run.
  • miracole
    Options
    a disco run sounds like fun! what does that entail?

we have a great run for supporting Soldier On here in Ottawa, it's the Army run 5k or half marathon, very fun and always draws great crowds for a worthy cause!
  • thatblueyedchic
    thatblueyedchic Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I really want to try the Zombie run, color run and the Warrior Dash!
  • wodforbacon
    Options
    The warrior dashes are good...they have one just about everywhere. Lots of people dress up like vikings or wear kilts, painted faces, etc. It's usually around 5K, with some mud involved and obstacles. fun to do with a group of people you know and can help each other negotiate the obstacles...then there is beer and BBQ at the end. Pretty good time.
  • RobinEC
    RobinEC Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Join us in the beautiful Pacific Northwest for "Run for Your Life!"

http://runforyourlives.com/locations/seattle-portland/
  • jagfan
    jagfan Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I did a 10k in February called the Pirate Run. It is held in Fernandina Beach, FL, and many participants dress up, of course, as pirates...with swords, hats, and everything. Part of it is "off road". This was my first time doing it, and it was really cool.

My favorite run is held here in Jacksonville, FL, The Gate River Run. Its a huge 15k that registers around 20,000 people. No "theme", but many of the paticipants are dressed up in different costumes. I've seen them range from "Beaker" on the Muppets to soldiers dressed in full fatigues with back packs, etc. Also, firemen with tanks...the whole thing. This run is held in March before it gets too hot. The course includes a bridge at the beginning and the end with many neighborhoods in between. The spectators sit in the yards tailgating and cheering everyone on...

I plan on doing a Color Run in September. I am kind of excited about that!
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    The Gate River Run is fun - I like the fact that I can get donuts from people along the way!
    I'm also doing the color me red one in Jacksonville - they throw water balloons with coloring at you.
    The Donna Breast Cancer is by far my favorite though - lots of people will dress up in pink wings and crazy outfits for that one too.
  • brittigno
    brittigno Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Color Run looks like a blast. That's definitely on my bucket list.
  • abetterjune
    abetterjune Posts: 219
    Options
    Join us in the beautiful Pacific Northwest for "Run for Your Life!"

http://runforyourlives.com/locations/seattle-portland/

^this
  • jagfan
    Options
    I forgot about our stadium run! We have a 5k in the Jacksonville Jaguars stadium that is about a mile outside of the stadium, probably around another mile inside the stadium (up and down the ramps...what a workout!), finish up with a lap on the football field with the lights on and back outside. I would do this workout once a week if they'd let me!
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Color Run!
  • danielle3203
    Options
    im doing my first warrior dash this august! cant wait!
  • Mceastes
    Mceastes Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Did the Warrior Dash in April, that was really fun. It was my first obstacle run. The last three years I've done the Firefly Run 5k - it's at night and everyone wears glow bracelets and stuff like that. They even give you LED light wristbands in your packet. It's just fun to run at night and to see all those colored lights in front of you. Also, while it's not a themed run, the L.A. Marathon is a lot of fun. You see lots of people in costumes. I think my favorite was last year there was a dozen guys dressed up as Elvis with wigs and everything all running together. Plus it's the best course - lots of bands, a cheerleader alley, and you see every cool site in L.A. from the Hollywood Walk of Fame to the boutiques of Beverly Hills.
  • miracole
    Options
    I really want to do a colour run! I've also heard of ones where you eat snacks at different stations (ha ha not sure I could stomach that) and poker runs where at different stations you pick up cards and the person with the best hand at the end of the race wins. I've also heard of a fox and hound race where the slow runners start first and the fast runners have to try to catch them at the end.

Has anyone done any of the Disney world races? I really want to do the Princess Half Marathon, and the Goofy Race is on my bucket list (half marathon one day, full marathon the next). My other three bucket list runs are the marathon in the Antarctic, a South Africa marathon run on a game preserve, and the marathon on the Great Wall of China!
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I am signed up for two fun runs; Color Me Rad, which is very similar to the Color Run, and The Glow Run, which is probably very similar to The Firefly Run that Mceastes mentioned. Since I'm not a fast runner, somehow I think I'll have more fun not competing and just enjoying the camaraderie that goes along with runs like these.
  • jagfan
    Options

Has anyone done any of the Disney world races? I really want to do the Princess Half Marathon, and the Goofy Race is on my bucket list (half marathon one day, full marathon the next). My other three bucket list runs are the marathon in the Antarctic, a South Africa marathon run on a game preserve, and the marathon on the Great Wall of China!

I know someone that did the Goofy Run this year, and is doing it again next year. He is not a "runner"...and did just fine. Another friend of mine did the Princess this year, and she and I are planning to do the Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon in November.