Vacation

I am going away to a resort in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic for vacation soon. I will be there for a week. My package includes unlimited food and alcoholic beverages. I plan to remain accountable and count calories. Does anyone have any tips on what they do to remain on track? I am considering taking measuring cups.

Replies

• amsohs85
    amsohs85 Posts: 166
    The measuring cups sounds good. Or you could ask if they offer calorie info and or special dietary meals. The big issue with resorts and cruises is the buffets!! Lol... Just keep telling yourself "I'm in control!!" and continue to make balanced decisions about food. I bet there's alot of activities offered so try some out, then you will get your calorie burn on and won't need to focus so much on what your eating. I love to dance and most places have nightly music and dancing...Shake it!! :happy:
  • mi_lady
    mi_lady Posts: 17 Member
    Kudos to you for setting this goal and for planning ahead! I've never done the all-inclusive thing, but I visit Puerto Rico twice a year and always end up losing due to the amount of swimming and snorkeling I do. I echo the above advice to try as many activities as you can, you'll end up with great memories and more calories burned!
  • HappilyCyn
    HappilyCyn Posts: 68 Member
    The measuring cups sounds good. Or you could ask if they offer calorie info and or special dietary meals. The big issue with resorts and cruises is the buffets!! Lol... Just keep telling yourself "I'm in control!!" and continue to make balanced decisions about food. I bet there's alot of activities offered so try some out, then you will get your calorie burn on and won't need to focus so much on what your eating. I love to dance and most places have nightly music and dancing...Shake it!! :happy:

Great suggestions. I will definitely be dancing... salsa, merengue and bachata :bigsmile: I will check to see if I can access their menus before arriving to plan accordingly. The buffets are dangerous, but I will take my measuring cups with me.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    I just got back from a similar vacation, unlimited food and alcoholic drinks. It was paradise :)

Honestly I didn't bother trying to log anything. I wanted to be able to relax on my vacation. Plus so much of the food would be guess-work anyway, since it was all prepared by the resort.

I drank alcohol (a lot) every single day, and ate three big meals every day too. Guess what? I only gained one pound. That's nothing! I can lose that in a week :) So my advice is not to worry about it. Relax and enjoy yourself. Give yourself a break. You've earned it!
  • HappilyCyn
    Kudos to you for setting this goal and for planning ahead! I've never done the all-inclusive thing, but I visit Puerto Rico twice a year and always end up losing due to the amount of swimming and snorkeling I do. I echo the above advice to try as many activities as you can, you'll end up with great memories and more calories burned!

Thank you :happy: PR must be very beautiful. I would love to go there one day. Thanks for your suggestions. I will try to remain active to offset some of those calories.
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    You should be able to find a collapsable measuring cup with camping equipment if you can't find one in the kitchen equipment department. Takes up less room and will fit easily in purse.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    I just got back from a similar vacation, unlimited food and alcoholic drinks. It was paradise :)

Honestly I didn't bother trying to log anything. I wanted to be able to relax on my vacation. Plus so much of the food would be guess-work anyway, since it was all prepared by the resort.

I drank alcohol (a lot) every single day, and ate three big meals every day too. Guess what? I only gained one pound. That's nothing! I can lose that in a week :) So my advice is not to worry about it. Relax and enjoy yourself. Give yourself a break. You've earned it!

Me too. I just got back from a cruise, and while i don't drink alcohol, i did eat whenever and whatever i wanted. I tried to eat a lot of fruit with every meal (not a veggie fan) and i exercised like crazy. We hiked on two of our four excursions, always took the stairs (7 flights at a time got a little tiresome tho), and in general didn't sit around on our butts. I got back and actually lost a pound. It was great!
  • HappilyCyn

Thanks for your suggestions. :heart: (<-- My daughter told me to pick the heart instead of a smiley :bigsmile: ) I've thought of not logging as well if I cannot get calorie information. I would just be cautious about what I decide to eat.
  • HappilyCyn
    You should be able to find a collapsable measuring cup with camping equipment if you can't find one in the kitchen equipment department. Takes up less room and will fit easily in purse.

Great idea. Thank you :bigsmile: I believe I saw something like that in home goods.
  • HappilyCyn

Awesome. Thanks for sharing your experience :bigsmile: I am not feeling as worried as I originally did.
    Me too. I just got back from a cruise, and while i don't drink alcohol, i did eat whenever and whatever i wanted. I tried to eat a lot of fruit with every meal (not a veggie fan) and i exercised like crazy. We hiked on two of our four excursions, always took the stairs (7 flights at a time got a little tiresome tho), and in general didn't sit around on our butts. I got back and actually lost a pound. It was great!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member

Thanks for your suggestions. :heart: (<-- My daughter told me to pick the heart instead of a smiley :bigsmile: ) I've thought of not logging as well if I cannot get calorie information. I would just be cautious about what I decide to eat.

Exactly. Just be wise with your food choices. I should also mention that I was more active during the trip than I normally am, and I'm sure you will be too. I spent a lot of time walking around the resort, dancing, etc. so that helped a lot. It all balances out in the end!
  • RiannonC
    RiannonC Posts: 145 Member
    I don't count calories while I'm on vacation, but I don't eat desserts or unhealthy foods, either. If the decision is already made, then I don't have to worry about it, and I don't have to waste a single second of my vacation feeling guilty. For me the fun of vacation is not about food, after all, I could have junk food at home if I wanted, it's about the new sights and activities. I almost always end up losing a pound or so on vacation (even though I am not trying to lose weight, I am just maintaining) because I don't touch any food that I might feel guilty about later. I also want to feel my best on vacation and the foods that will make me feel the best are fresh fruits and veggies, lean protein, and whole grains.

Not saying anyone has to do this, it's just the way I get most enjoyment out of my vacations.
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    You're already getting a lot of great advice, and the only thing I really endorse is water water water to drink, especially if you will be drinking alcohol and especially if it's a hot place. That and sunscreen are worthwhile--and enjoy!
  • HappilyCyn
    I don't count calories while I'm on vacation, but I don't eat desserts or unhealthy foods, either. If the decision is already made, then I don't have to worry about it, and I don't have to waste a single second of my vacation feeling guilty. For me the fun of vacation is not about food, after all, I could have junk food at home if I wanted, it's about the new sights and activities. I almost always end up losing a pound or so on vacation (even though I am not trying to lose weight, I am just maintaining) because I don't touch any food that I might feel guilty about later. I also want to feel my best on vacation and the foods that will make me feel the best are fresh fruits and veggies, lean protein, and whole grains.

Not saying anyone has to do this, it's just the way I get most enjoyment out of my vacations.

Thanks for sharing your insight :bigsmile: Eating clean is a great way to not feel guilty. Heavy foods tend to make me tired and I want to enjoy everything.
  • HappilyCyn
    You're already getting a lot of great advice, and the only thing I really endorse is water water water to drink, especially if you will be drinking alcohol and especially if it's a hot place. That and sunscreen are worthwhile--and enjoy!

Thanks for your advice :happy: I will add that to my list. Remaining hydrated will be very important. I know it will be very hot there.
  • sss1966
    sss1966 Posts: 110 Member
    you havea great holiday and enjoy!
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Thank you to the OP and everyone who answered her so far! I am going to Alaska on a land tour very soon as well, and I was wondering how to handle the food/drink issue as well. I will use some of these ideas!
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Try drinking a couple of glasses of water right before you leave your room for dinner (or lunch or whatever). Added hydration is always good, plus you won't have to worry about eating past fullness when temptation is rife!
  • mi_lady
    mi_lady Posts: 17 Member
    Great tip even for when not on vaca!
  • HappilyCyn
    you havea great holiday and enjoy!

Thank you :bigsmile: