Make it seem simple please

Options
I keep reading all this technical stuff about calories, HIIT, cardio vs strength.....blah blah.. I just want to break a plateau. I have been strength training over a year. Started out doing tons of cardio, pounds were slow to come off but inches were pretty good. I have 10 more pounds to go .

Seems like lots of "guy trainers" comment about the thermogenic way things work. Is there some training suggestions for middle age menopausal women who just need an easy routine that is not so technical? I am totally confused. Cardio cardio cardio...or weights one day , cardio another. what ya'll think?

Replies

• tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I'm not in the same age range, but I agree about the complicated responses. I understand about 50% before I get too confused. Hope someone answers this!
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, go buy the Latin Party Pack workout! It was $25. I HATE workout DVD's but my husband got me this because he knew I was tired of running.

Well, I had been on a plateau for about a month when I bought this. It jumpstarted me again and I've lost 5lbs in the 14 days since I started. This has been the only thing I've changed!

It comes with 4 workout DVD's - cardio and toning, and also 2 -weight bars. There is a 30 day schedule that rotates through the work outs. Seems to work pretty well.

Otherwise, definitely switch it up! I have more luck breaking a plateau when I change exercise.
  • mabernier
    mabernier Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I LOVE a routine from Maximized Living that is about 12 minutes long, yes, 12 minutes and really works! I think after 12 days I was already seeing results. Check out their website and see what you think....it is interval type training, covers every area of your body and is effective AND fast!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Want it to be simple? Just get up and move. Do something! Anything! Doesn't matter what it is! JUST GET UP! And watch portion sizes. That's really about as simple as it gets.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    This is the simplest I can put it:

At at a moderate calorie deficit
    Do exercise, especially strength training.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    how long have you been eating below your maintenance calories? if it's been several months then try a few weeks of eating at your maintenance

also start training with weights, heavy weights. screw the weights that are lighter than the weight of your canned goods. heavy lifting will help you not only with how you look but will also help you with the changes your body is going through now since menopausal and post menopausal women lose lots of bone density, grip strength and lean body mass.

look up new rules of lifting for women (a book) and stronglifts 5*5. stronglifts might be better because there are only 3 moves per workout while new rules gets very complicated in the later stages
  • melinda2308
    melinda2308 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by eating below my maintenance???? If anything I overeat on most days. When I burn 500-700 at gym after work, I cant consume enough calories to break even on those days. I eat between 1200-1500 calories a day. I work out 3 -4 days a week. Some of your responses confused me.

Maybe I should make my question clearer?

Is it better physically to do this by day
    1. Cardio 30 min
    2. 10 min cardio and 30 min weights
    day off athen repeat

that is what i am getting at
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I'm not in the same age range, but I agree about the complicated responses. I understand about 50% before I get too confused. Hope someone answers this!

That's cause most of the time, the posters concerned are confused themselves.... :-)

To the op, you might need to give a bit more detail on what you're currently doing, and what you're eating, to get more helpful and individual advice.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Eat less - move more...
    Follow MFP recommendations
    :bigsmile:
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I keep reading all this technical stuff about calories, HIIT, cardio vs strength.....blah blah.. I just want to break a plateau. I have been strength training over a year. Started out doing tons of cardio, pounds were slow to come off but inches were pretty good. I have 10 more pounds to go .

Seems like lots of "guy trainers" comment about the thermogenic way things work. Is there some training suggestions for middle age menopausal women who just need an easy routine that is not so technical? I am totally confused. Cardio cardio cardio...or weights one day , cardio another. what ya'll think?

Forget all that STUFF! If the "Science" and all that worked, American would be the Healthiest Country in the World! It's about the INTANGIBLES and COMMON SENSE!

Get a Plan you can STICK With...even if you have to tweek it now and then; this means eating enough calories and nutrients. Adjust as you go along and learn more about YOU and YOUR needs! The MAIN thing is that if you do not have a Plan that You can stick to, YOU WILL FAIL. The Key to a Lifestyle change is LIVING It, Day In and Day Out. Do a MODERATE exercise routine...cardio and wt bearing/toning, and your regular life activities...NOW OFF WITH YOU TO SUCCEED.

All that other stuff just sounds good and gives them something to talk about in Chat or PM or over coffee because they have NOTHING else in Common! If you are into Body Building or a particular sport, trying to "educate" someone here would not make sense because this is a general site...when I played tennis and ran cross country competitively I talked to others who were DOING the Same thing...if I wanted to "show off" I would run down some stuff on a regular jogger to try and impress them, BUT then I Grew-Up. If you really need some direction on "how too" just check out YouTube.
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by eating below my maintenance???? If anything I overeat on most days. When I burn 500-700 at gym after work, I cant consume enough calories to break even on those days. I eat between 1200-1500 calories a day. I work out 3 -4 days a week. Some of your responses confused me.

Maybe I should make my question clearer?

Is it better physically to do this by day
    1. Cardio 30 min
    2. 10 min cardio and 30 min weights
    day off athen repeat

that is what i am getting at

What is your work out schedule now? You say you've been weight training for a year, so do you do full body workouts when you do it or split days? Some people do cardio the same day and others don't. For myself, since i'm just getting back into lifting I do three days full body which takes about 45 minutes and follow that with 30 minutes interval cardio after. Also, I do abs and yoga two other days per week. That and eating and a small deficit works consistently for me. I don't know about doing 10 minutes of cardio. That sounds more like a warm-up to me.