Sports Bra - UK

LanaMcL
LanaMcL Posts: 41 Member
I have just spent almost £40 on a new sports bra (Shock Absorber run bra). Now I'm enjoying running a bit more I'm noticing more bounce/discomfort and realising that the sports bras that fit me when I was 41lbs heavier are now not so supportive!

Thing is I have no idea what size i am so i just guessed at 36DD (previously I was 38DD) Should really get a bra fitting but I hate feeling pressurised to buy. Any good self measuring techniques?

Replies

• hellen72
    hellen72 Posts: 144 Member
    Can't help on measuring but tescos do some good cheap sports bras so you could try a few different sizes and havnt wasted too much money if they don't offer enough support
  • I've found that this is a pretty reliable measuring guide - http://www.amplebosom.com/measuring-guide.php
    My sports bra is a Nike one, and it was a bit more expensive than I was aiming for (I think it was between £25-£30) but I can definitely say it was worth the extra because I have no complaints, even after 2 hours of Zumba!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    I have just spent almost £40 on a new sports bra (Shock Absorber run bra). Now I'm enjoying running a bit more I'm noticing more bounce/discomfort and realising that the sports bras that fit me when I was 41lbs heavier are now not so supportive!

Thing is I have no idea what size i am so i just guessed at 36DD (previously I was 38DD) Should really get a bra fitting but I hate feeling pressurised to buy. Any good self measuring techniques?

Yup you need to be refit. They actually say every 10 pounds. I am down a similar amount, and down in the band and a little in the cup. You bra is probably no longer fitting properly. And most likely you are down a band or 2. Maybe a cup as well.

Measure under your breasts to get you underbust measurement. This is likely your band measurement. Measure the fullest part of your breasts to get the cup, while wearing a normal bra (not a sports one).
    Subtract the two numbers: 1 inch = A...... 5 inches = DD/E, .... 8 inches is H. This will be a pretty close guesstimate on your size, but some bras fit differently. I find I need to go up a cup in Shock absorber. If your underbust is odd, then try 1 higher and 1 lower, it is hard to say what your band is. Also, if you are under a C or so, the underbust measure may not be perfect. You might need to go u a band or 2. If you are a D+ this is likely the most accurate measurement.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    I've found that this is a pretty reliable measuring guide - http://www.amplebosom.com/measuring-guide.php
    My sports bra is a Nike one, and it was a bit more expensive than I was aiming for (I think it was between £25-£30) but I can definitely say it was worth the extra because I have no complaints, even after 2 hours of Zumba!

This advice in the fitting guide is horrible if you are over a D or DD. My underbust is 33.5, and I wear 34 inch bands. If I followed their advice, it would put me in a 38 band (which is way too big) and a DD cup (which is way to small in the cup). This advice might work if you are a C cup. Other sizes should not add anything to the underbust measure to find the proper size.