is there such thing as "whole grain" pasta?

Options
Is there such thing as "whole grain" pasta? If so, how can I identify it? All the pastas I find marked "whole grain" have a blend of flours in it, and all the boxes that say "whole wheat" list the first ingredient as "whole wheat flour" but not marked as "whole grain" So is there a difference between "whole grain" and "whole wheat"? I guess the bottom line I'm getting at is, what's the healthiest pasta?

Replies

• dsegel
    dsegel Posts: 5
    Options
    Dreamfields.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I've heard you want 'whole wheat' if you don't want a blend of flours. Whole wheat is a whole grain.

Though Dreamfields is good. My favorite is Barilla Plus because I have a kid who won't eat brown pasta and this one has added protein and good nutritional facts but doesn't look like cardboard.
  • chrisgriffen
    Options
    Can you find it at a regular grocery store or do you have to go to a hippie market?
  • chrisgriffen
    Options
    So if whole wheat is a whole grain does that mean the pasta is whole grain? It may sound like a stupid question but I know food companies try to deceive you.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Wholewheat pasta is available in all the supermarkets in the UK so I can't see why it wouldn't be in the US.
    (I'm not sure where you are)
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Just for the record, Dreamfields is not whole wheat pasta. Its made with Semolina, which is what most pasta is made of.

Having said that, I use Dreamfields because it doesn't spike my sugar.
  • chrisgriffen
    Options
    Ok, so I guess what I want to know is, how can I identify it myself?
  • jillianlovesyarn
    jillianlovesyarn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This might help you: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/35100999/ns/today-today_health/t/whole-truth-how-healthy-your-pasta/

I pretty much only shop at Whole Foods or our local co-ops/health foods stores and can't even eat gluten but, if my memory serves, I've even found gluten-free pasta at regular grocery stores in my mother's neighborhood when visiting so it should be possible to find 60-100% whole grain pasta if your stores are big enough. If your store has a health foods aisle you might locate some 100% whole grain pasta there. Most of the brands mentioned in the article above I'd consider health food store brands, but Barilla is mentioned. I don't think Barilla is 100% whole grain but it may be much easier for you to find.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Dreamfields.

No.

OP, find a box of pasta marked "100% whole wheat". That is what you want.
  • chrisgriffen
    Options
    I think I found some called Naturally Preferred.
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i really like Barilla Plus as well, it's made with Chickpeas so the protein is aroun 10g per serving and it has a decent amount of fiber... and i LOVE that it tastes and looks like regular pasta! I get mine at WalMart