How do you eat.....

Options
NavyKnightAh13
NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
Avocado? My husband (who is processed food junkie) and i (who is trying to eat healthier) split one and are trying to figure out how to eat them and if eating them raw is okay....

Replies

• terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    yep you can eat them raw :love: YUMMY
  • today6212
    today6212 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    i use them for chicken or tuna salad instead of mayo. also add white vinigar and lemon juice instead of salt. yum!
  • Maridar
    Maridar Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I tried it as a spread on whole wheat thins, it was good!
  • annagpapa
    annagpapa Posts: 3
    Options
    An avocado is a great additive to many recipes because it really does not have much taste but just remember that the cals can easily add up.

I personally love avocado with salad, as a guacamole-type dip with some steak and lastly in a smoothie. Yes, a smoothie. I tend to add it to a pineapple, fresh OJ and spinach smoothie with a little ice. The avocado makes it very thick and filing. Don't be scared by the green color, it is actually pretty yummy.

Best of luck in your journey!
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Guacamole and wheat thins! yum!
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    I hated it!~ I use it on my face for a beautiful glow :bigsmile:
  • pichild
    pichild Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Love avacado. Really thought that was one I had to give up until I was having trouble getting to my daily calorie goal. Raw is the only way I have ever eaten them if someone could let me know some ideas for cooking them that would be so great.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    usually Raw..yummy with beef tomatoes, home mad guar, fantastic in sandwiches or just plain raw. i want to eat them more, but the high fat and calorie content scares me.
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Love avacado. Really thought that was one I had to give up until I was having trouble getting to my daily calorie goal. Raw is the only way I have ever eaten them if someone could let me know some ideas for cooking them that would be so great.
    You can put pieces on pizza or use in toasted sandwiches - eg. chicken, cheese and avocado.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I had one sliced up in a spinach salad with grilled chicken and some almond slivers. The other day I had them with a slice of swiss cheese wrapped around a slice of avocado.

Other times I'll just throw them into a salad and much. I love avocado! Healthy and tasty. Make sure you pick ripe ones and you seal them up well if you don't eat the whole thing at one meal.
  • V3ggieL0vinGinger
    Options
    I love avocado...but they don't love me! They hurt my tummy :(
    BUT when I do have them (yes, the pain is worth it!) I put them in spring rolls, on salads, spread them on crackers or even put them in smoothies. YUM! There are also some really awesome recipes out there for chocolate pudding made with avocado.
  • dalygirl_2010
    Options
    Spray it with olive oil cooking spray, sprinkle with salt and pepper and grill it with the skin on. Then let them cool, the skin will peel off really easy and they taste great alone or on a salad.
  • HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Raw.
    Baked with an egg in the middle.
    Mashed up with lime, cilantro, and salt.
    AND, the way my hubby loves them, stuffed with fajita meat and cheese and deep fried.
  • pten0pus
    pten0pus Posts: 25
    Options
    I mix mine with tuna. The flavours compliment each other really well and you don't need to add mayo if you mash the avocado well. It's a great way to get in good fats.
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Here's how we use avocados:

*Slice them or cube them, squeeze lemon or lime juice on them, top with a few cherub or cherry tomatoes cut in half (or a little pico if you like it spicy).

*Blend in a blender or food processor with about a tablespoon or 2 of yogurt and equal amount of water, salt, about 1/2 teaspoon of any spice you like (cumin, red pepper, chili powder, etc), a little bit of onion/shallot or garlic, and some cilantro. Blend until smooth and fairly thin (like a sauce). Pour a couple of tablespoons over fish or chicken.

*Use instead of mayo on sandwiches

*Chop and add to a can of (rinsed and drained) black beans, kernel corn, diced tomatoes, and lemon or lime juice.

*Cut into cubes and add one whole mango (cubed). Add cherub tomatoes cut in half or quarters. Squeeze lime juice over it all and gently stir it around to coat everything. A little salt if you need it. Eat it like a salad or side dish or put it over fish.

*Slice or cube them and throw them in a salad

*guacamole (of course) with corn pop chips
  • gayje
    gayje Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Use avacado in practically anything you want. As a sandwich spread, in salads, on kabobs (put them on last and don't cook them or they'll mush and fall off), in smoothies as mentioned by a previous poster, in juices...the possibilities are endless! If you want to get super creative, google Avacado's in food or something along those lines. When I can't figure out what to do with a food, I go to the internet.

Also, try googling HASS AVACADOS. If that farm has a website, they may have recipes available for free too. Good Luck!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    not a fan of avocado raw, but make guacamole and I'm all over it.