Half Marathon

Options
So, I decided that I really want to run a half marathon and that having this goal will really keep me on track with the running!! But I'm wondering, the longest I have run as of now is 5 miles... will it be possible to train and be ready for a half-marathon on August 30th? I think I can do it, but some friends of mine said it takes a year to train for a half-marathon. I'm not worried about beating any time, I just want to finish it.

Does anyone know? Will I be able to do it?? I don't want to set myself up for failure!

Replies

• truedecember
    truedecember Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    So, I decided that I really want to run a half marathon and that having this goal will really keep me on track with the running!! But I'm wondering, the longest I have run as of now is 5 miles... will it be possible to train and be ready for a half-marathon on August 30th? I think I can do it, but some friends of mine said it takes a year to train for a half-marathon. I'm not worried about beating any time, I just want to finish it.

Does anyone know? Will I be able to do it?? I don't want to set myself up for failure!
  • ksukaro
    ksukaro Posts: 29
    Options
    I recently did the St. Louis half marathon with some friends, we did a 12 week training program (google Hal Higdon half marathon). I also have never really ran more than 4 miles previously. I felt that I was completely ready, and we all finished. It was a great experience, I am already training for another one. Good luck!
  • lizburnsyb
    lizburnsyb Posts: 52
    Options
    Of course! I just did my second half-marathon a month ago. I suggest visiting runnersworld.com or any running website to get information on how to train properly. Essentially, you will need to run a few miles every day/every other day and run one long run during the week which you build upon week by week. For example, and I'm running a 10 mile run in October, I run 3-4 miles MWF, and 6 on Sundays. I'll start building up closer to October by adding miles on to my Sunday run, until I reach 13, and then a couple of weeks before the race, I'll taper back down so that my body isn't straining. Read up on it, and you will do great! Good luck! I certainly never thought of myself as a runner, but have come to really enjoy the "head space" it gives me. You will be so proud of yourself once you're finished!
  • areay
    areay Posts: 463
    Options
    Yes! Do it!! I just did my first one about a month ago and I loved it.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    oh I highly recommend it!!! and you can totally do it in that time frame!

They have great sites that will help you get to your goal...let me see if I can find a few...

I've done two in my life (not recently) and I loved it! was training for the Boston Marathon but then shin splints and then pregnancy woo hoo!

I'm thinking of doing the Tufts 10K again in October...races are the best!

good luck and I'll see what I can find!
    hugs!
    Ali
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-258-6851-0,00.html try this for now...
  • truedecember
    truedecember Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks everyone!!! I'm really excited now, I'm going to go for it!!!!
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    woo hoo!!! good for you girl!!!!

keep us posted!
    hugs!
    Ali