Chronic Obstructive Pulminary Disease + Diet

Options
Hi,

On the 13/03/2012 I married my best friend who i'd been in a relationship with for only 14 months but I could not have asked for a better guy. Our wedding day was the happiest and most worrying day of my life. Happiest because I knew it would be the beginning of a wonderful life with my husband but also the most worrying because he was sick the entire day (vomiting and dihorrea) typical lol. But it was a warning sign of what was yet to come.
Keiron (my husband) has had asthma for many years and in the last 12 months his breathing has become much worse making it difficult to even climb the stairs and getting out of breath. So we went to the doctors and the tests started 5 weeks ago and then just a week ago (8 weeks after getting married) he was diagnosed with stage 3 Chronic Obstructive Pulminary Disease which there is no cure just treatment to slow the disease. As you can imagine it was a shock and extremely distressing for both of us and his son who's mother (Keiron's first wife) died 7 years ago from advanced breast cancer (it spread everywhere).

There is a significant age gap between us meaning even if we lived a healthy life to old age we would only get about 30 years together at best and with this disease it could shorten his life significantly. I've spent days researching the best diets, herbal remedies, anything that could help his lungs and breathing so we can enjoy as much time together as we can.

Is there anyone on here that is living with or knows someone who is suffering from this disease? Who could provide any information to help me help improve my husbands quality of life.

Thank You :flowerforyou: x

Replies

• VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    As far as BMR goes, someone with COPD will have higher needs just because of how taxing it is on his/her body to breath (more energy is expended just from extra effort put into breathing). Sorry, I don't know of any specific diet. Simply losing more weight will help with asthma though
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    really..there is no reversal from COPD..its usually caused by long term smoking.

diet wont help...exercise can, taking proper medically prescribed meds, breathing exercises, stop smoking or breathing in of polluted air..

just do some research
  • k2charmed4u
    k2charmed4u Posts: 282
    Options
    Hi thanks for the feedback.

My husband has 2 inhalers for his asthma and has been given another for his COPD. We walk our dog regularly at a reasonable pace but he still gets out of breath fairly quickly unfortunately. I was hoping it would build his stamina up to increase the strength of his lungs so he could do other exercises.

The problem we're having is maintaining a calorie diet high enough for him not to become malnorished while being healthy. Unfortunatly salads, veggies etc don't pack enough and he doesn't like fish or pasta which would have been good for him and provides heaps of recipes.

I've done days of research on the subject and there is literally hundreds of articles of info but nothing really on what recipes are suitable that don't contain pasta, rice and fish etc. It did say to avoid Cabbage, Cauliflower and Beans to prevent the feeling of being bloated and making it harder to breathe.

Thanks

P.S. he used to smoke when he was younger but quit 6 years ago also unfortunately he is a self emplyed plasterer which means for 38 years he's worked with dust, asbestos, harsh chemicals etc all contributing to his COPD which we've only just found out about.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Yes. My husband has Emphysema. I just read 1 oz of broccoli sprouts a day can relieve inflammation of the aveoii and help with beathing.
    Google Emphysema and Broccoli
  • k2charmed4u
    k2charmed4u Posts: 282
    Options
    Yes. My husband has Emphysema. I just read 1 oz of broccoli sprouts a day can relieve inflammation of the aveoii and help with beathing.
    Google Emphysema and Broccoli

That's great thanks I will :happy:
  • sorlich
    sorlich Posts: 5
    Options
    I just found out that my mom has emphysema so i have been reseraching my *kitten* off. I have read quite a few different things that can help, especially if you are experienceing bad symptoms, i am no dr i a just going to share what i have found out in case it can help someone else.

1. Garlic. . One important addition to your diet can help fight emphysema in surprising ways. Garlic. The essential oil in garlic has antimicrobial properties. It is a decongestant and tones the heart and circulatory system. Cooking destroys many of these desirable properties but not many people can handle eatin raw garlic daily for a theraputic dose of 1800 mg. The oil in garlicleaves the body through the lungs which is ideal for health but not so great for breath. Garlic extract in capsules are much easier to take than swallowing the raw cloves of garlic. A daily dose of 600 to 1000 mg extract is recommended to help fight emphysema symptoms and strengthen the lungs.

2. Try black tea, many COPD sufferers turn to tea for relief from tightening in the chest. Black tea contains chemicals related to the stimulant theophylline, which is also the basis of many modern medical remedies. Three or four cups of black tea can open airway passages and ease breathing.

3.Vitamin C and magnesium improve lung function in the cases of those suffering from COPD.

4. add Cilantro to your diet. Helps clear congestion and expell phlem

5. and this is a story i found on a site called earth clinic, look for these herbs to make tea.

HERE'S THE FORMULA I USED FOR CURING A BAD CASE OF EMPHYSEMA FOR "WILLARD BOOTH" OF MARION ARK 12 YRS AGO. INTO A GALLON POT, PUT THE SEED PODS (TOPS) OF 6 "GREAT MULLEIN" PLANT, BRING TO A BOIL, ADD 3 TBLS OF POWERED "LOBELIA", AND ALSO "HYSSOP" 1 OZ OF WHITE APPLE CIDER VINEGAR, 2 TBLS OF POWDERED CAYENNE RED PEPPER. KEEP BOILING UNTIL ABOUT A PINT OF WATER HAS BOILED OFF, (IT WILL TURN DARK OR REDDISH LIKE COFFEE). LET COOL UNTIL YOU CAN STRAIN (I USED A NYLON STOCKING). SWEETEN WITH SUGAR OR HONEY TO TASTE THIS WILL KEEP IN FRIG FOR A WEEK OR MORE ( look up "great mullein" and you'll be surprised at what all it can do!). Hyssop and lobelia are great expectorants!! I had Willard take 3 pop bottle caps a day but you can take more it won' t hurt you, you can also use a heating pad on chest and do a number of "VIGOROUS EXHALES" FOR ABOUT 15 MINUTES AFTER TAKING

6. For anyone who uses an inhaler where you ad your own meds, look up hydrogen peroxide therapy.
  • sorlich
    sorlich Posts: 5
    Options
    Also for his diet, i have read about a lady who was pretty much on her death bed and her daughter changed her diet around, took out sugars and carbs, and some dairy, because the dairy makes more mucus. you dont need to only eat salads to have a healthy lifestyle.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, I sent you a PM with some info.