Logging Cleaning as an Exercise

Options

Replies

• JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Log whatever you feel like logging - its your log. Just like people who tell me I won't lose weight or be healthy if I don't eat totally organic food washed by a Buddist monk on while in the glow of a double rainbow....they are usually full of it.

It's your life, live it how you want.
    It only works if there's a double rainbow AND both the sun and moon are in the sky. I've heard it works during a lunar eclipse as well, but that a solar eclipse voids out the monk power and you'll actually gain weight.

DANG IT. Now I need to go back and redo some calculations....... :grumble:
  • sherry9300
    sherry9300 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    those who say don't log house cleaning i have a feeling don't have kids or pets. I know i for one bust in melting mode when i do house work because my kids and cat's make sure i have stuff to clean up. Also while my wife is pregnant i've taken on the responsibility of keeping the house clean so she doesn't have to worry about it. So to those who say cleaning is not an exercise i say It must be nice to be you and not have to worry about cleaning up after other people or animals.

This is so lame! Seriously? I'm a single mom who works full time with two dogs, two cats, six chickens and three acres. I take care of everything and I only log my workouts. If I don't have a problem with you logging your cleaning efforts, you certainly should not make assumptions as you just did. My answer on this, as always, is to each his own. What I'm doing works nicely for me.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Log whatever you feel like logging - its your log. Just like people who tell me I won't lose weight or be healthy if I don't eat totally organic food washed by a Buddist monk on while in the glow of a double rainbow....they are usually full of it.

It's your life, live it how you want.

Hahahaha!!!! You rock :)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I personally don't log what I normally do because I don't want to be tempted to eat back the calories MFP says I have earned from "exercise." Like several others here, I only log it if it is planned exercise that I wasn't doing before (but always planned to.) For me that includes getting on my treadmill, walking the dog briskly, biking, swimming laps. I teach 7th grade. . . I NEVER sit down during class. But I don't log walking the room to prevent mayhem as part of my fitness plan.
    I was thinking of getting a fitbit, but again, I'm not sure I will want to sync it to my account. Won't it take all my activity outside of lying in bed sleeping and add calories to my plan? I used a Walk4Life pedometer for years. . . and it was motivating to make sure I at least got in 10,000 steps a day. But in any event, I don't want an excuse to add calories to my food plan just because I cleaned the tub and steam mopped the tile.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with the OP. My thinking is that if it was an activity that I did on a regular basis while I was getting 50 pounds overweight, then I don't get to log eat (and eat the calories back) when I'm trying to lose that 50 pounds 4 years later.
  • WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Ah, the great debate continues.
    Just do what works, but for the most part, people who log this in as exercise don't get around to doing real exercise.
    It's more activity in my opinion.
    Here is how I change those rules.
    I bought a weighted vest. 70lbs.
    I wear that vest doing house or yard work, and so long as I am wearing that weight vest, I count it as exercise.
    Whatever.
    If what you do works, just KEEP PUNCHING!
    All Is Possible:flowerforyou:

Impressive! I have a hard enough time motivating myself to put away the laundry upstairs. I can't imagine doing it in a 70 lb vest.
  • Flutter_By
    Flutter_By Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a 3,800 square foot house, 4 kids, 2 dogs, 2 cats, and a husband. You bet your booty I'm counting it as exercise. It's a full body workout!

If I load the dishwasher or wipe a counter I don't bother. But, if I'm seriously cleaning my house and I am sweaty, smell and need a shower afterwards, I'm counting it. It IS excercise. My heart rate is up and I'm sweating. Sometimes it's more of a work out than going to the gym.

If you are sore the next day from cleaning, it's exercise.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Ah, the great debate continues.
    Just do what works, but for the most part, people who log this in as exercise don't get around to doing real exercise.
    It's more activity in my opinion.
    Here is how I change those rules.
    I bought a weighted vest. 70lbs.
    I wear that vest doing house or yard work, and so long as I am wearing that weight vest, I count it as exercise.
    Whatever.
    If what you do works, just KEEP PUNCHING!
    All Is Possible:flowerforyou:

Impressive! I have a hard enough time motivating myself to put away the laundry upstairs. I can't imagine doing it in a 70 lb vest.
    Actually, I am such a slob, this is the only way I can motivate myself. To me it's exercise. It's not like I would do anything menial on its own merit. I am too lazy and don't care.
  • microburst20
    microburst20 Posts: 130
    Options
    It's all part of the activity level you set. It's daily activity not exercise IMHO. Just like me cutting the lawn is not exercise. There are days you'll do more and days you'll do less. It all evens out. If you don't believe me, get yourself a Fitbit and see how much difference there is in your daily energy expenditure from day to day. You were doing these kinds of activities before you decided to come here. I think if you are counting this kind of thing, your cheating yourself.
    Yeah, but most people weren't limiting calories at the same time, and MFP sets calorie intake according to activity level.

So, if you have your activity level set at moderate, you'll have extra calories built into your average intake to allow for stuff like cleaning or whatever day to day activity your moderate assessment is based on.

If you have your activity level set at sedentary, there's not many extra calories above staying alive and walking around a bit, so anything that gets you sweating and breathing hard should be logged IMO.

this
  • HauteHauteMami
    HauteHauteMami Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My house sparkles everyday... Plus I chase a toddler when Im not at work or at school... And I still make to the gym three days a week... I have to agree that cleaning is not exercise... Its physical activity yes... Exercise no... Your not going to tone up doing laundry...
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I log cleaning when I really get into it, like when I have little chance of being interrupted (read: kids are outta the house).

But, I will be purchasing a fitbit so the question of logging it or not logging it will be moot :)
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

Since we can't seem to cauterize the wound this topic keeps ripping open, here's my $0.02...

(please keep in mind that you asked for it)

I don't choose to log my cleaning as exercise, although I DO clean in beast-mode regularly. Contrary to idiotic belief, I do not feel it necessary to log every, single thing I put elbow-grease effort into (especially since "gung-ho" is my normal life setting.) Even if I spend an hour pushing a loaded grocery cart around the store, I'm NOT going to claim it as exercise.

NOW- I do not judge those who DO choose to log these things. If you need the extra calories to justify eating that blueberry muffin (or whatever it is), then go ahead and log it. You're responsible for your own *kitten*!

And please don't tell me you're not planning on eating those calories...why else would you log it then? To leave extra calories in diary limbo so you can say...."I'm so awesome; I ended the day with 659 calories left!!!"...??? I think not.

Bottom line:

"You just do YOU, and I'ma do me."

^^ and that's how you dougie ^^:laugh:
  • HauteHauteMami
    HauteHauteMami Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

Since we can't seem to cauterize the wound this topic keeps ripping open, here's my $0.02...

(please keep in mind that you asked for it)

I don't choose to log my cleaning as exercise, although I DO clean in beast-mode regularly. Contrary to idiotic belief, I do not feel it necessary to log every, single thing I put elbow-grease effort into (especially since "gung-ho" is my normal life setting.) Even if I spend an hour pushing a loaded grocery cart around the store, I'm NOT going to claim it as exercise.

NOW- I do not judge those who DO choose to log these things. If you need the extra calories to justify eating that blueberry muffin (or whatever it is), then go ahead and log it. You're responsible for your own *kitten*!

And please don't tell me you're not planning on eating those calories...why else would you log it then? To leave extra calories in diary limbo so you can say...."I'm so awesome; I ended the day with 659 calories left!!!"...??? I think not.

Bottom line:

"You just do YOU, and I'ma do me."

^^ and that's how you dougie ^^:laugh:

Well said...
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I log cleaning as a calorie burn. When I did weight watchers, they countedit , because there are a lot of people who don't get off their duff. I only log it in if I am cleaning for an hour or more. I even count giving my german shepard & my border collie a bath. Not only is it a work out, it also functions as comedy hour.
    Dancing also. Burning calories is all about getting off our tushies & doing someting. It's not about who spent the most time at a gym.
  • acs4162
    acs4162 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    i'm going to start logging "bedroom cardio"

I do. I call it "Giggity Giggity" in my diary. :D But only when it's intense. If I'm just laying there... well then it's time to be banging someone else. Lol.

I have honestly been looking for this exercise in the database, and I can't find it.
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Well said...

:flowerforyou: Why, sankyo :flowerforyou:
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I did hard cleaning the whole time I was gaining weight, so I don't log it. Ever. If I'm not wearing a sports bra and sneakers it's not exercise.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    i'm going to start logging "bedroom cardio"

I do. I call it "Giggity Giggity" in my diary. :D But only when it's intense. If I'm just laying there... well then it's time to be banging someone else. Lol.

I have honestly been looking for this exercise in the database, and I can't find it.

I poster awhile ago suggested logging it as horseback riding... Which makes me giggle :)
  • missymckay
    missymckay Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's all part of the activity level you set. It's daily activity not exercise IMHO. Just like me cutting the lawn is not exercise. There are days you'll do more and days you'll do less. It all evens out. If you don't believe me, get yourself a Fitbit and see how much difference there is in your daily energy expenditure from day to day. You were doing these kinds of activities before you decided to come here. I think if you are counting this kind of thing, your cheating yourself.

So you're telling me after an 8 hour laborious workday (my job is extremely physical) that 40 minutes of intense cleaning to the point I'm sweating like a pig is cheating myself and it's just a daily expenditure? I think that's a bunch of bull.

I did push mowing on my yard and it was 97 degrees. If that is not exercise and doesn't burn calories I don't what will. With that said I do not count washing dishes as exercise but I would count mopping floors and scrubbing exercise.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

So you're telling me after an 8 hour laborious workday (my job is extremely physical) that 40 minutes of intense cleaning to the point I'm sweating like a pig is cheating myself and it's just a daily expenditure? I think that's a bunch of bull.

Are you a candidate for "Hoarders"? (Just kidding.)

I only log workouts because the effort can be consistently measured. If general activity burns enough calories to make a difference, that's icing on the cake.