Good Salad Dressing...

Options
Hey,
I was wondering if you could give me some ideas for a good salad dressings... low fat of course!
I am getting a bit bored of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and pepper.

Also if you know any good books or website where I can find some salad inspiration?

Thanks
Soph x

Replies

• savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt worry about the fat content...low fat usually taste like crap and really its not the fat that makes you fat its over doing it in sugar and calories...just eat your favorite in moderation
  • hydeejo
    hydeejo Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    allrecipes.com
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I find if I stir some humous or cottage cheese through my slad it doesn't need any other dressing.

I'm rather fond of hemp oil, or walnut oil, for those times when I do need an oil based dressing. And lemon juice or lime juice instead of the balsamic.
  • julie9200
    julie9200 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Salsa :)
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    my answer for everything = hot sauce ,, but salsa could work too
  • sdevan45
    sdevan45 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    2 tbs olive oil
    1 tbs white wine vinegar
    1 tsp (or more to taste) dijon mustard
    a little minced garlic
    salt pepper

Make sure to stir olive oil in last slowly with whisk to emulsify.

You can add fresh herbs to alter taste.
  • Yogeros
    Yogeros Posts: 19
    Options
    Whomever recommended Bolthouse Farms Salad Dressings in a different thread, THANK-YOU!! I bought the honey mustard and raspberry merlot tonight. Delicious!! I highly recommend this brand if you are looking for something different with very low calories.

http://bolthouse.com/
  • airbent
    airbent Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    If you have some plain yogurt and cucumber and dill, you can whip up some tsatziki sauce, it's delicious and flavorful and makes a really good dressing or dip for veggies/meats.

2 cups greek yogurt/2 cucumbers/half a lemon's juice/three garlic cloves/1 tbsp dill weed/2 tbsp olive oil/s&p to taste, all in a blender. makes a ton so you could scale it down.

When I made it this week it worked out to 70 calories/4g fat per 2/3 cup serving which is a LOT for a salad. if you only used a few tablespoons it wouldn't amount to much at all.
  • Littlemissjackie1
    Littlemissjackie1 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I like to squeeze lemon or lime with just a pinch of salt and pepper.
    Try incorporating nuts and fruit into your salad.

I like to make a grilled chicken salad with fresh strawberries, walnuts, avocado and romaine lettuce and spinach. Just experiment with your favorite fruits/ veggies.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    honey mustard and sour cream.
    omg. amazing.
  • capri1652
    capri1652 Posts: 6
    Options
    Go to waldenfarms.com , they offer all kinds of calorie free salad dressing plus so many other things. This place has really been a blessing to me and helped me lose 90 pounds so far.
  • Hairhacker
    Hairhacker Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I like Kraft light ranch mixed with Kraft fat free catalina or French! Sooo good!
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    We sometimes do a caramelized onion vinaigrette. It's really just your typical vinaigrette with some caramelized onions in it, but I also normally add a small amount of Dijon mustard. Google it and you're likely to find multiple recipes. As to salads, I love this dressing over a simple mix of greens and some sliced pear. Add feta cheese if desired for a real treat.