smoothies

Options
2»

Replies

• cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I used to do the typical milk, yogurt, whey protein powder, and fruit thing, but lately I've found that I don't tolerate the lactose well. here's me new recipe:

1.5 cups Unsweetened Almond milk
    1 tbs Fresh Ground Almond Butter
    1 tbs raw windflower honey
    ¾ cup frozen blueberries
    1 cup frozen strawberries
    1 serving Lifetime Life's Basics - Plant Protein Powder

It's actually pretty good. The almond butter many sound a bit weird, but I added it mostly to counteract the taste of the plant protein powder which is pretty strong. The blueberries likewise are there mostly for color, because I just couldn't overcome the funky color the strawberry and plant protein powder was leaving.

If you don't need it, you can save quite a few calories by leaving out the protein powder and/or the almond butter. I like having them, so I just have to either exercise more on days i drink this, or watch the other meals that day.
  • balancedhealth
    Options
    I try to balance a smoothie with protein/healthy carb (i.e. veg/fruit)/fat.

So, I use a high quality minimally heat processed protein (either Premier Nutrition Labs Whey Protein or Omega Organic Pumpkin Protein). Then I pick a veggie like fresh or frozen spinach. I add mixed frozen berries for flavor. For the fat I use (just a little) either: Thai Kitchen canned coconut milk or an omega 3 oil or almond butter. Mix with a bit of water and sometimes ice.
  • Hikaru37
    Hikaru37 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Cold green tea, or just water (you could use flavoured water maybe, I did originally)
    Small chunk of kale
    Large handful of spinach
    5-10 strawberries (depending on size)
    125g blueberries
    1 banana
    1 peeled kiwi fruit
  • addict3
    addict3 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I make one I call Caramel Apple smoothie

1 Cup skim milk
    1 Apple peeled, cut up and frozen
    7 Almonds
    1 Tbs Torani Sugar Free Caramel Syrup

Put the almonds in first and give them a whiz to crush them, then add the rest.

One thing that really made my smoothies better was the Torani Sugar free syrups, with 0 calories they are a great way to offset the tartness of the fruits. Even fresh, ripe fruit in a smoothie has a tartness about it. If you are using strawberries, use strawberry syrup and so on... Davinci makes these as well and are sweetened with Splenda, but are a bit more pricey.