How to make myself drink more water? And how much?

Options
How much water do you drink a day? I struggle to get my 8 glasses in. I just start to feel bloated and gross after the first few and just can't hardly make myself drink more. How do you get all your water in?

Replies

• sweettoughness
    sweettoughness Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You can always eat some of your water too. fruits and veggies carry a good amount of water. I love having watermelon and oranges as a snack. You get a good snack and some of your water in one go
  • MandiS80
    MandiS80 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I HATE water but am learning to like it and it's the only drink I have now most of the time. I use Mio in mine and love it!! No calories makes it even better.
  • shortstuff31117
    shortstuff31117 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This has been hard for me too! One thing that has helped me is to drink out of something that I like. At home I like a specific glass, and then I have a water bottle that I love for on the go.
    I try to drink 12oz (from my favorite glass lol) right when I wake up in the AM. Then I focus on trying to have half my water by noon.
    8oz is only one little cup of water...maybe try pacing yourself more. Like drink 6oz every hour during the day or something like that??

Have you tried flavoring your water?? Lemons, limes, ginger...these are all good things to make water taste a little better :smile:
  • MandiS80
    MandiS80 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    ^^ Speaking of cups... I found that having a fovorite one helped too. I know it may seem silly, but it's true.
    I use a bright pink Contego water bottle from Costco.
  • LindsayE007
    LindsayE007 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have a cup I always drink from at home too! It's days when I am not home much that seems to be harder. I try to stay away from processed stuff so I should try flavoring it with fresh fruit juices and stuff. That might make it more appealing...
  • missymuffet459
    Options
    I have a hard time getting it in too. I have to make myself chug it. I allow myself a diet soda for lunch, but only if I have had 32 oz. of water first (fill my special glass up twice). Yeah there are times I am chugging them down just before lunch but rules are rules!

I do the same the rest of the day. I don't have my afternoon snack until I down another glass, one before dinner, one with dinner, etc.

Even though it is hard to do, I know it is worth it.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I like to drink sparkling water like Perrier and Pellegrino, but that stuff is expensive. They sell a Mexican sparkling water called "topo chico" at my local walmart...$0.73 a bottle including CRV....Poured over ice with a little twist of lime...AHHHHH sooooo nice.
  • mkupartist
    mkupartist Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I use a rule of 10. Each time I pick up my bottle to drink, I take 10 gulps. By the end of the day, I've drank much more than I did when I actually thought about it.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    If your urine is clear, not cloudy, and pale yellow, your water intake is fine. We get a lot in our foods and other beverages. The 8x8 myth has been debunked. Listen to your body. No other animal counts its water to know how much to drink, no child does, probably few other cultures do.
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I use a rule of 10. Each time I pick up my bottle to drink, I take 10 gulps. By the end of the day, I've drank much more than I did when I actually thought about it.

That is a good idea! I tried that & was surprised at how easy it was & I can see myself making the same rule!
  • DreadRunner
    Options
    This may sound pretty stupid but my fiance gave me one of those plastic cups that has a straw. I just don't let that leave my side all day long. If I want a drink then I drink from that. Basically all I drink is water, milk, coffee, and a beer every now and again.

The stupid part is that I've found that I drink a ton more water if I use this cup because it has a straw. Maybe that's just me but if I use something else like a sports bottle it just doesn't work for me.
  • kitchensync
    kitchensync Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I drink all my water through a straw - I keep them in my office, my car and my kitchen :) I can slurp down a 500ml of water in two or three long sips.

If I want a little zip, I add a slice of lemon or lime, sometimes both if I'm feeling adventurous ;)
  • zoegator
    zoegator Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    This may sound pretty stupid but my fiance gave me one of those plastic cups that has a straw. I just don't let that leave my side all day long. If I want a drink then I drink from that. Basically all I drink is water, milk, coffee, and a beer every now and again.

The stupid part is that I've found that I drink a ton more water if I use this cup because it has a straw. Maybe that's just me but if I use something else like a sports bottle it just doesn't work for me.

My go-to cup has a straw too! It's so easy to just take a sip here, take a sip there and before you know it, the cup is empty and time to refill!
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    herownkindofwonderfull Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I drink anywhere from 10 glasses to 20 glasses a day, pending my activity level. I suggest being more active to where your body needs and craves water. I drink 12 glasses at the gym alone, usually.
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I can usually only stand to drink Dasani bottled water, myself. I am very particular about the flavor. I like it with lemon, if I get the chance. If I go out I only order water to drink at a restaurant, but I have almost always done that. Ice does wonders for most water, to me, though.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    How much water do you drink a day? I struggle to get my 8 glasses in. I just start to feel bloated and gross after the first few and just can't hardly make myself drink more. How do you get all your water in?
    When you are home, put a cup on the counter on a piece of paper. Make a tally mark everytime you empty the cup. Sounds simplistic, but the reason I say this: I have been dehydrated before, and noticed a strange thing...that I sorta lost my drive to drink water. Then when I made it a point to drink water like this, I all-the-sudden got my thirst mechanism back. In other words, I wanted to drink water again. So try this and give it a few days of rehydrating for your body to get hydrated at the cellular level...not just a lot of water in your gut and kidneys.
  • Koorogi
    Koorogi Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hello there. Here are some things that I would recommend that have greatly helped me.

First, make sure you're drinking cold, filtered water and find one that you like the taste of. I personally use Aquasana, an in home filter, because despite what some people say, water does have a taste to me. I like the taste of certain brands (like Aquafina or Arrowhead), but don't care for others (like Crystal Geyser). So find one that you like and go with it.

The second thing I would do is get yourself a cup or water bottle that personally appeals to you (get two if you want to keep one in the fridge to cycle out). My favorite is a Thermos Brand BPA Free Blue Intak Water Bottle (http://www.thermos.com/products/intak-blue-24-oz-hydration-bottle.aspx). The great thing about it is that it holds 24 oz (has markers for up to 20 oz) and has a counter ring on it so that you can track how much water you've drunk throughout the day (goes up to 6)! Since I got it, on average, I've been drinking 100+ oz of water a day!!!

I also agree with the 10 gulps thing. Though I don't count mine, I do tend to notice that I usually drink about 4-6 oz per "drink". Lastly, I also notice that if I don't grab a bottle and get started first thing in the morning, I tend to be behind the rest of the day.
  • heartofdorkness
    Options
    I bought a Brita water bottle a couple of weeks ago. I carry it everywhere with me and always have good-tasting water. It's awesome for when I'm at work, because the tap water there is kinda gross. The bottle sells for around $9, and you have to buy a new filter every few months, but when you think about how expensive bottled water can get, it practically pays for itself.

This one is an acquired taste, I'll admit, but it works for me: I've cut out most soda and replaced it with flavored seltzer water. I get it at a local grocery store where it's usually on sale for around 50-60 cents for a 1L bottle, and it comes in a ton of different flavors. If you don't like the carbonated stuff, try infusing your water naturally. Just put some cucumber or fruit or just about anything in a pitcher of water and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours.

Granted, I haven't had to force myself to drink water lately. The weather's been ridiculously hot and humid where I live, and I always feel like I'm dying of thirst. Just remember that the 8 glasses per day is more of a guideline, not a rule. If you're not thirsty and your urine isn't dark, chances are your hydration levels are fine.
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I am a self proclaimed water hater. Always have been. BUT, I had to force myself to drink water. I drink the 16.9 oz bottles at a time so I don't get overwhelmed...I had to make it a habit. Now, I feel sluggish if I haven't drank enough. YOU CAN DO IT!! :)
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I use a Camelbak bottle...I really find that I can suck down the water without even trying using it. I got three....2 at the gym store and 1 at SportsMart.

Best bottles I ever got tbh.... makes drinking so much easier.