Help - first running injury advice please!

Options
I "pulled" something in my calf about 3 miles into my 6 mile run this morning. It hurts terribly when I put any weight on it. I tried to push through it, but ended up limping back home. I'm alternating ice and heat. Anything else? I'm so frustrated - I was on a great pace, the weather was gorgeous, and I felt fantastic. I've been running a little over 3 months, and this is my first injury. I'm so scared I'm going to be out of commission for a long time, and it's going to ruin my journey. HELP!!

Replies

• kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    RICE - rest, ice, compression, elevate. Rest the leg - NO RUNNING. Take motrin or some type of anti-inflammatory following package directions. DH had a similar injury. Took about a week of no running to heal up - then he had to hit the running slow and easy for a little while. If not properly rested, it will progress into something worse. If not feeling better in a couple days, see your MD. Good luck
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    RICE

Rest
    Ice
    Compression
    Elevation

ibuprofen for inflammation helps too

If the pain hasn't subsided in a day or two see your doctor, it's probably just a pull but it could be a torn muscle.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I "pulled" something in my calf about 3 miles into my 6 mile run this morning. It hurts terribly when I put any weight on it. I tried to push through it, but ended up limping back home. I'm alternating ice and heat. Anything else? I'm so frustrated - I was on a great pace, the weather was gorgeous, and I felt fantastic. I've been running a little over 3 months, and this is my first injury. I'm so scared I'm going to be out of commission for a long time, and it's going to ruin my journey. HELP!!

It will NOT ruin your journey. Just keep logging.

Rest your leg, do NOT try to train through the pain, it will not work and you could do yourself far more damage than has already been done. Don't try to rush the healing process either, it will just mean the muscle will be weak and could "go" again.

Sounds very much like a pulled muscle, but you should pop along to your doctor to make sure and get proper advice.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My calf pain was a stress fracture. I rested a week before getting it checked to see if it would feel any better on it's own, then had to take another 4-5 weeks off.
  • Collinsclan22
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Icing it now. Will force myself to rest for a few days, and will see my MD ASAP for examination. It came on so suddenly during my run - about 2 miles in I noticed a dull ache in my calf, went another mile or so and stopped to stretch it as it seemed a bit worse. Then after another couple hundred yards had to abort the run completely and walk back home (limp somewhat). Boohoo-ed to my dh when I got home because I really wanted to hit the 6 mile mark this morning - training for a 10.5K in August, and want to finish in under 60 minutes. I want this so BADLY!!!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    RICE

Rest
    Ice
    Compression
    Elevation

ibuprofen for inflammation helps too

If the pain hasn't subsided in a day or two see your doctor, it's probably just a pull but it could be a torn muscle.

This, and no heat.
  • Collinsclan22
    Options
    Is it ok to ride a bike to get some physical exercise while I'm sidelined with this calf injury? We are headed to the beach this week for vacation, and while I was looking forward to long runs on the beach, I'm hoping I can substitute some bike rides?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'd get it checked before going on vacation in that case. Even if it's at an urgent care center.

I was ok-ed to ride a bike with my stress fracture. Other injuries would have different restrictions.
  • DrJamesStoxenDC
    Options
    The key which you might want to do is to strengthen the muscles that resist the impacts which I call the landing muscles, the spring suspension system muscles or the pronation supination cuff muscles

Here are my last three articles you might find helpful:

Cracking Achy Knee Pain or Chondromalacia Patella – Treatment and Prevention Tips from The Barefoot Running Doctor
    http://teamdoctorsblog.com/2012/05/25/cracking-achy-knee-pain-or-chondromalacia-patella-treatment-and-prevention-tips-from-the-barefoot-running-doctor/

Is Running Bad For Your Knees? How Does The Body Spring Back Safely From Impacts Of Running and Walking?

http://teamdoctorsblog.com/2012/06/13/video-tutorial-12-is-running-bad-for-knees-how-the-body-springs-back-safely-from-impacts-of-running/

Self-Tests & Exercises To Reduce Over Pronation and Over Supination From Impacts During Walking and Running

http://teamdoctorsblog.com/2012/06/18/video-tutorial-28-the-impact-absorbing-landing-muscles-of-the-human-spring-mechanism-testing-and-training-the-spring-suspension-muscles/

Dr James Stoxen DC, President, Team Doctors