DO NOT EAT THAT DOUGHNUT!

Options
I am having a crappy eating day, I was at the ER all day with my almost 2 year old. I am 800+ calories over..nothing really "healthy" and just having a hard time. I am an emotional eater, and emotionally I am spent. We spent the entire day at the hospital with my son, and my 6 month old as well as my 5 and 6 year old daughters.

I am craving a doughnut...or a piece of cake. Something bad for me. I want it so bad. Good thing there is none in the house, but its so tempting to walk a block to get one. Sigh. Anyone have any words of encouragement? I just really need to get back in the swing of things, I know that its going to be better for me in the long run.

Replies

• Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    sounds like a rough day. I can sympathize with that.

If you really want one maybe you could figure out how many times you would have to walk back and forth to the store to burn the calories from the doughnut. Either you will want it bad enough to walk that many blocks or the exercise of the calculations will curb your desire?

I'm not trying to be rude or anything....just hoping to give you a smile and a chance to rethink! Good Luck.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,784 Member
    Options
    cravings are so bad, you will make it thru, even if you have the cake or doughnut, tomorrow is a new day. But you have to figure out why your an emotional eater and try to work out of that. Good luck
  • mommamindi
    mommamindi Posts: 273
    Options
    Thank you, Thats a good idea. I will do that. :)
    sounds like a rough day. I can sympathize with that.

If you really want one maybe you could figure out how many times you would have to walk back and forth to the store to burn the calories from the doughnut. Either you will want it bad enough to walk that many blocks or the exercise of the calculations will curb your desire?

I'm not trying to be rude or anything....just hoping to give you a smile and a chance to rethink! Good Luck.
  • mommamindi
    Options
    Thank you! I am not a sweet eater....but on days like this a wonderful doughnut sounds amazing. I dont have coping skills, I know this...so I eat, because hell, food makes me feel better, until I log the calories of what I ate, then i feel like crap!
    cravings are so bad, you will make it thru, even if you have the cake or doughnut, tomorrow is a new day. But you have to figure out why your an emotional eater and try to work out of that. Good luck
  • microburst20
    microburst20 Posts: 130
    Options
    I eat bread and jam since I have low cal bread and I measure the jam and get a lot for a smaller amount of calories. Make a nice cup of tea for yourself to go with it and give yourself the food hug you need.
  • microburst20
    microburst20 Posts: 130
    Options
    I eat bread and jam since I have low cal bread and I measure the jam and get a lot for a smaller amount of calories. Make a nice cup of tea for yourself to go with it and give yourself the food hug you need.

Bye the way, something very similar happened to me a couple of months ago. Ended up eating a huge piece of cake at the hospital that wasnt even that enjoyable. I ate less calories the next two days and felt victorious for overcoming. You can too!!!!!
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Watch a funny video or something uplifting online to cheer you up. It is too late for me as I ate a plain donut today as well as a hot fudge brownie sundae. lmso. Worth it! I'm not usually into sweets, but I have been craving them today. I am okay now and will make my 45 calorie soup and eat that tomorrow. :]
  • mommamindi
    Options
    Thanks for your advice :)

I am holding out pretty good so far....I just have to keep looking at the big picture. I know I am not hungry, and I know I will feel worse later after I eat it, but that doesnt stop me from wanting it lol.

Bye the way, something very similar happened to me a couple of months ago. Ended up eating a huge piece of cake at the hospital that wasnt even that enjoyable. I ate less calories the next two days and felt victorious for overcoming. You can too!!!!!
  • mommamindi
    Options
    May I ask you what is in 45 calorie soup!?
    Watch a funny video or something uplifting online to cheer you up. It is too late for me as I ate a plain donut today as well as a hot fudge brownie sundae. lmso. Worth it! I'm not usually into sweets, but I have been craving them today. I am okay now and will make my 45 calorie soup and eat that tomorrow. :]
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    My mom always tells me, "if you can give birth you can do ANYTHING". It tends to help when I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.
  • WillPowerYes
    WillPowerYes Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I find it helpful to have in my kitchen an assortment of low calorie "sweets", chocolate preferably, such as sugar-free frozen fudgebars, sugar-free hot coco mix, and sugar-free flavored instant coffees.

Of course, this won't be of much help to you if you don't have any on hand when your craving is hitting you right now. But, if you DO head to the store for that baaaaaad doughnut, maybe getting something less hazardous-to-your-diet would help keep you on track.

Good luck.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    My personal take on this situation:

Firstly, you recognise that this is not a logical decision, but an emotional one. So many of us tie our emotions to food, and whilst we are losing weight things are great - we make good decisions that fuel our progress and the success is self-perpetuating.

However, the downside of this is the bad day, the emotional struggles and the inevitable 'foods of regret' that so often follow. This then has the opposite effect, and one bad snack leads to a feeling of guilt, which leads to a bad meal, more guilt, bad day, and so on.

My view is that at points like this you have two emotionally healthy choices. One is to talk yourself out of the craving, don't substitute it with another slightly less-bad food - deny yourself. Tell yourself that although you are sad, you WILL NOT take it out on your body. Over time this will widen the association between emotions and food.

The second strategy is to let yourself have the cheat food, but be sure to log it, and already plan your next meal to get straight back on track - this will give you the small indulgence you feel you need, but stop the downward spiral.

These things may not apply to you, but like many of us are or have been, it sounds as though you are an emotional eater. Good luck and wise choices!
  • Kell_Smurthwaite
    Kell_Smurthwaite Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Don't give in to the urge to eat that donut or cake! Instead, if you really do want something cakey, make some healthy muffins - they can still taste great and will be far better for you. I have some great recipes that might fit the bill if you like. I had a delicious banana and blueberry oat muffin with breakfast today - it was yummy and incredibly virtuous! ;)
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    If I crave something really bad, I usually have it, after all this is a lifestyle change, not a diet and I sure as hell am not going through my life not having treats....you just need to make sure you can stop at that one treat, count it in your cals and if you go over work off the excess...good luck! xx
  • NelehY
    NelehY Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If you give in to your urge to eat a donnut/to excess - will it actually make you feel any better?

Or will you just feel guilty afterwards in addition to your original distress?

If you manage not to give in though - you will carry it forward with you as a success to inspire yourself with in the future.

If you can tough it out under your current awful situation then you can manage anything!

Personally, I'd probably find somewhere nice and private for a really good cry!
    And would feel a whole lot better for it afterwards.

Good luck though - I hope your little boy gets well soon!
  • mommamindi
    Options
    I would love the recipes if you want to share! Thank you :)
    Don't give in to the urge to eat that donut or cake! Instead, if you really do want something cakey, make some healthy muffins - they can still taste great and will be far better for you. I have some great recipes that might fit the bill if you like. I had a delicious banana and blueberry oat muffin with breakfast today - it was yummy and incredibly virtuous! ;)
  • mommamindi
    Options
    I am not going to quote and reply to everyone. I did not eat the doughnut last night....that was a victory for me. I ended up getting sick through the night (around 5 AM) and have literally been in bed since. I had a little sprite, and lots of water, but I havent eaten anything else. I am out of bed now, but still a little gunshy to eat so I will have some toast and see how it holds...then maybe chicken soup for dinner.

Its funny how this worked out. My son's problem is nothing similar to mine so I am not sure where I got this little bug from but its helping me to stay on track today haha. Tomorrow I will be able to work out and work off anything I ate yesterday. Thank you all for your comments. :)
  • mommamindi
    Options
    I am not going to quote and reply to everyone. I did not eat the doughnut last night....that was a victory for me. I ended up getting sick through the night (around 5 AM) and have literally been in bed since. I had a little sprite, and lots of water, but I havent eaten anything else. I am out of bed now, but still a little gunshy to eat so I will have some toast and see how it holds...then maybe chicken soup for dinner.

Its funny how this worked out. My son's problem is nothing similar to mine so I am not sure where I got this little bug from but its helping me to stay on track today haha. Tomorrow I will be able to work out and work off anything I ate yesterday. Thank you all for your comments. :)
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    May I ask you what is in 45 calorie soup!?
    Sure! I actually posted it a couple days ago. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/643754-40-calorie-soup-vegan-chili-other-variations

You can add hamburger or whatever you'd like if you don't mind a little more calories. There are a few variations of it and it hits the spot for me because it is pretty filling. I only use the vegetables I really like, vegetable broth instead of chicken and I love it with hot sauce. <3
  • Starla_86
    Starla_86 Posts: 88
    Options
    I was having one of these kinds of days too, I think most of us do. I gave in and had a dairy queen blizzard...god those things are incredible! so I go home and check the fat content - 700 calories would you believe!?! So yummy but yet so so bad :/