question about maintaining once I hit goal

Options
I am only a couple lbs from meeting my goal. I am wondering how do you determine how to up your calories to stop the weight loss but not too much so you gain weight back? I am not sure how to do this or how high to go?

Replies

• mommy2kynnedy
    mommy2kynnedy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering about this too. I am guessing you start with the calories it takes to basically just live without doing anything at the new weight you have achieved and then adjust based on the activity in your daily lifestyle. I am curious to see how others have done this as well.
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Great question. I'd like to know that too. I hit my goal a long time ago and still continue to lose. Maintaining is definately the hard part.
  • mathematical2011
    mathematical2011 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You can change your MFP settings/calories to maintain instead of losing weight! :)
  • mathematical2011
    mathematical2011 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It's under My Home > Settings > Update diet/fitness profile

Then under What is your goal? Change it to maintain current weight.
  • mmarin81
    mmarin81 Posts: 241
    Options
    I would suggest to switch it to 1/2 lb a week first for about a month or so then go up to maintenance. i think if you got right to maintenance it may make you gain a bit in the beginning. Not an expert just seems like a logical occurence.
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Firstly, nice work on achieving goal.
    You'll need to adjust your goals Under <HOME> <Settings> and <Change Goals>. Follow the prompts from their.
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I, personally, have not found mfp's "calculations" to work for me.

I like this calculator:
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

It has worked really well for me. :)
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I would suggest to switch it to 1/2 lb a week first for about a month or so then go up to maintenance. i think if you got right to maintenance it may make you gain a bit in the beginning. Not an expert just seems like a logical occurence.

And sorry for the double post, but I totally agree with this. I would increase by 100 calories or so a week to make sure your body doesn't react badly. :)
  • ses0786
    ses0786 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I was just about to post a topic similar to this! I'm about 500g-1kg off my goal weight. I have already changed my settings to 1/2 a pound a week when I got closer to my goal and I'm still losing. What I was wanting to know was how long should I be at my goal weight before I change to maintenance? And should I still weigh myself every week?
  • plfeery
    plfeery Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    thanks for the help, I was only a lb away from my goal but since I am so close I decided to try and lose 5 more so got 6 lbs to go!