So frustrated

Options
I've dieted before. I know the score.

But, what is really getting to me is that one diet says this, one diet says this. One diet says "No Carbs" yet, on myfitnesspal, they have a column for carbs. Can't we ever come to a concensius (or am I missing it?) on what should be going into our bodies, how much and when.

Can someone just explain to me in simple terms what I should be putting in my body for a person that will be working out 4 - 6 times a week (for 1 hour each time at the minimum) to lose weight.

What I'd really like is something that says "eat something like that at 7am". Then eat something like this at 10am. And so on. Lay it out and have it be consistent so I know I am not wasting my time trying to figure things out and not getting to the goals that I need. I feel like if I chose the wrong diet, I'll continue to be 50lbs over weight all the time.

Help!!!! So frustrated.

Tim

Replies

• tanthony2009
    Options
    I am feeling the same way...But as long as we keep moving and stay active the weight is eventually going to come off. I am still looking for something to give me a better break down on what I should be eating to see better results..
  • kristakh1
    kristakh1 Posts: 6
    Options
    I think you have to figure out what works best for you. I feel your pain though.

I don't eat as many carbs as mfp allows. I follow more along the lines of the south beach diet.
    SBD gives you examples of what to eat & when. You might like it.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    There will never be a consensus because nothing works exactly the same for everyone. You just have to try stuff out and see what works for YOU. Then stay open-minded.
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Maybe visit with a certified nutritionist.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Maybe visit with a certified nutritionist.

Make that a dietician.

Nutritionists require no schooling...at least dieticians require a degree. I still don't agree with some things they say, but they give good basic information.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Follow what MFP tells you to eat, and do some exercise. Try that for a few months and see if it works. I bet it will.

What you're looking is a lot more detailed than you'll find in a computer program aimed at the general populace. I think you'll need to consult a registered dietician for that level of guidance.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Just push everything you've ever heard from those fad diets out of your mind. Carbs are not the devil and it does NOT matter what time of the day you eat, or how often you eat. What matters is how much you eat. Calories in vs. calories out. Weight loss is that simple.

Your body needs carbs. It needs protein, and it needs fats. And of course, vitamins and other nutrients. Eat healthy foods, stay within your calorie goals, and you'll do just fine!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I think the point of MFP is that it isn't about complicated diets, or this week's popular diet craze. This is simple and very common sense. Eat normal, healthy food. Eat when you're hungry. Log what you eat and keep your calories in check. Exercise at least a little. Don't stress over it! It really is simple. Not always easy. But simple. You can do this!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is just calories. Eat less than you expend. You can ignore macros and nutrition entirely if you want. You should soon find it's much easier to eat less if you eat better foods-- produce, lean proteins, food you prepare, beans, etc. If you eat unprocessed, whole foods, your macros don't need much attention. By macros, I mean protein, carbs and fat.

Here's Michael Pollan's advice: Eat food, mostly plants, not too much.

As for when to eat, it doesn't matter. Pick a schedule that allows you to eat less than you expend.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I've cut out sodas, beer, white bread, fast food and cookies, candies, chips, cake. I use to allow myself a cheat day where I pigged out..but as I've gotten slimmer I've had to reduce that to a cheat meal per week...or if there is a special occaision like a wedding or birthday, I save my cheat meal for that day. I also never dine "out" unless I'm with friends or family...whereas before I would go to McDonalds 2/3 times a week because I was too lazy to pack a lunch. I'm frequently over on carbs and fat...sometimes even calories on the mfp tracker, but in general cleaning up the diet and tons of cardio seems to be doing the trick.
    Don't get discouraged...there are several weeks where I don't lose even one half pound, but with a little patience you will see results that inspire you to keep going.
  • KeiliS
    KeiliS Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree, if you are looking into something to help you know what to eat, how much, and when take a look at the South Beach Diet. Even if dont want to do the diet, the book is very informative. There is also a recipe section and it maps out examples of what to eat at breakfast, am snack, lunch, pm snack, dinner, and dessert. The South Beach Diet also teaches you how to listen to your body, because everyone is different. One thing can affect one person one way, and the other person not at all.
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    There are reasons people eat low carbs... some of which are fairly persuasive but the truth of the matter is that there are perfectly healthy people living on both end of the spectrum. There are rice farmers that work the fields eating a diet incredibly rich in carbs who live to a ripe old age and inuits who live on a diet ultra high in saturated fat and protein from whale and sealion blubber who probably have a better cholesterol rating than most of us.

Here's the bottom line, low carb diets work because they're low in calories. They don't say that but they have a natural appetite suppressant feeling to them.

Low fat diets work because fats are high in calories so when you cut them out it's very hard to get a decent amount of calories from food... without sugar ofc lol.

I personally prefer balance, I eat 30% of my calories as protein, 30% as fats and the rest as carbs. I find that fits nicely with a high intensity exercise program but what works for me might not work for you... that's the point of MFP, flexibility to tailor it slowly to your own taste over time.

To begin with, keep it simple. Watch your calories. If you're still interested in optimising your diet after that then reduce your sugar and salt... still interested? adjust your macronutrients... you could even go as far as checking your micronutrients but you might as well get a job doing it by that point :laugh:
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    50% protein, 40% 'good' carbs, 10% good fats...Plus, lots of water and moderate exercise.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options

But, what is really getting to me is that one diet says this, one diet says this. One diet says "No Carbs" yet, on myfitnesspal, they have a column for carbs. Can't we ever come to a concensius (or am I missing it?) on what should be going into our bodies, how much and when.

Can someone just explain to me in simple terms what I should be putting in my body for a person that will be working out 4 - 6 times a week (for 1 hour each time at the minimum) to lose weight.

What I'd really like is something that says "eat something like that at 7am". Then eat something like this at 10am. And so on. Lay it out and have it be consistent so I know I am not wasting my time trying to figure things out and not getting to the goals that I need. I feel like if I chose the wrong diet, I'll continue to be 50lbs over weight all the time.

Help!!!! So frustrated.

Tim

This will sound harsh (not to you) BUT, our obesity is a multi-billion dollar industry for entrepreneurs.. Hence, by creating particular catch phrases and hooks, they manage to get different people to follow this plan or that... The basics of diet are the same as they have always been though.... Calories in - calories out = progress... If progress is negative... you lose weight.. If it is positive, you gain. (Certainly there are some caveats such as eating too little causing a slow down in metabolism and such but in general this is the way it works)

Now what you put in IS important...

Carbs (in moderation) are important for energy for workouts and such
    Proteins are important for muscular development
    Fats even have their place in our diet -- oil soluble vitamins require fats for absorption.

That being said... My suggestion is: Eat balanced meals (not omitting any major groups from your diet) daily. If you want to lose a pound a week, eat 500 fewer calories than you expend each day (on average)... If you want to lose 2 lbs, make it 1000 fewer calories... A balanced diet is essential for the nutrients you need. Choose wisely... Choose grilled rather than fried... Choose fish and poultry over red meats but eat even those a couple of times per week. Eat plenty of protein, especially if you are strength training.

Exercise. Exercise actually increases the amount of food you can eat and still lose. Aerobic exercise such as walking will help... Strength training will help your metabolism.

Losing weight really isn't hard. It just takes dedication. I hate programs that suggest you omit one or another food groups.. they are all in our diet for a purpose. However, I do suggest making good choices... A protein bar that provides 20 g of protein for 200 calories is so much better than a candy bar that provides no nutrition for 250 calories... Empty calories are bad... They leave us wanting more because they are built on empty promises... Quick energy but no nutrition. Chips, cakes, candies... These need to be limited.

Best wishes on your goals
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I think eating healthy choices in moderation is the key, whole grains, leans meats, good fats (MUFAs), fruits & veggies, beans & legumes, low fat dairy, and dont forget the occasional sweet treat. The most important thing I do to control my portion size, is weigh & measure everything I eat.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I'll make this as simple as possible:

Weight loss = calories in - calories out.

Do more, eat less and you will loose weight, and MFP is a really easy way to track that.

This is not to say that there aren't lots of nuances: You need a good balanced diet to be healthy. Personally I consider balanced in the same way MFP does by default (55% Carbs, 15% Protein, 30% Fat) although you can customise this in goals using "set your own targets" and this should be done to align with your personal targets - people who do a lot of sport - especially muscle building - tend to target 50/20/30 for example. You also need to get all you vitamins and minerals etc.

In my opinion fad diets are generally not very well balanced and hard to persist as a life style: you can use one to kick start your weight loss if you like but read the success stories section and count how many people put their success down to long term persistent weight loss of 1-2lb week by eating and exercising sensibly vs those on 'eat only...xyz' diets.

Good luck
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Actually, you are coming off as kinda lazy and seems like you want someone to "hand" you a magic bullet that will solve all of your dietary problems. SOoOoO what happens when someone here says "FOR SURE YOU DO THIS!" and You DO it for 6 weeks and you have lost 1 lb, feel run down, basically nothing has changed but your attitude (Nothing works for Me...)

Look Dude, What are you trying to accomplish (that's the first thing you GOTTA KNOW), then DO a little research into EATING PLANS, CHOOSE ONE that YOU feel will help YOU get to where YOU want to get, DO the SAME with a workout routine! WOW, NOW I see why we have the Nutritional and Wt problems we do in the USA...NO, there IS NO Consensus because it is about YOU. You may want to start with the Basic premiss>>> Burn More Calories than You take in.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options

Help!!!! So frustrated.

Tim

Problem is, no one thing works for everyone. Each person is different. Some people are reactive to carbs and tend to retain water when they eat to many, some aren't.

The biggest reason why no two diets are the same is because you have to come up with some "radical new process" to be able to write a book, go on talk shows and make a ton of money. No one is going to pay for an answer that sounds like common sense.

If you're going to exercise, you need protein and carbs to refuel your body. You need both the micronutrients (vitamins & minerals) and macronutrients (protein, carbs, sodium, fiber, etc) from a balanced diet. You need protein, some dietary fat, fiber and carbs (complex are better, but simples like sugar are ok). Spread all of that over the course of your meals and any snacks during the day.

Personally, I am typically over on sodium, sugar and carbs most days; protein I'm at or maybe slightly over the default mark MFP gave me. While I don't eat enough fruits, I eat plenty of veggies and know I eat a healthy, balanced diet. It's working nicely for me.
  • thefroglady
    Options
    I have been working with a personal trainer fro the past year & half & have lost 87 lbs so far. He says to eat your carbs before noon that way you will burn them up. Eat fruits before noon, except you can have berries with plain yogurt as a snack in the evening. Your
    big meal should be breakfast, lunch your second biggest & then dinner your least with a healthy snack between breakfast & lunch & then lunch & dinner. Your lunch & dinner should be protein & lots of green vegetables, greens being the biggest portion. I have consistantly lost a lb a week, as long as I follow this routine. He says to watch your portions!! Thats where we all fall down.Keep track on MFP & be honest with yourself, you are the only one you are lying to!Depending on your weight & how much you workout figure between 1200 to 1500 calories. It takes 3500 calories to loose a lb, loosing slowly, one or 2 lbs a week is the best for you & your body. Dont make it hard, rule of thumb is if you buy in a box, can or bottle, its not fresh, eat fresh foods. Chicken, fish & minimum of red meats, lots of fresh greens. Oatmeal is your best bet for breakfast, fills you up & stays with you. I usually add berries & nuts, almonds or walnuts for protein, one day I was out of nuts so I used peanut butter & it was delicious! Good luck!
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    You're just going to get conflicting advice from users here as well.

I will tell u that my methods changed over time (I lost 50 lbs... It took my a year to do that- but most came off in the first 6 months). Because I switched it up, I have a lot of ideas/information,

But I suggest if you are so frustrated you start with the absolute basics: you should follow MFPs guidelines for your daily goal. For 2 years, I ate 1200 calories a day, plus exercise cals (or course I had fallen off the wagon a few times, but this was my goal). I didn't even work out much at first.

When your cals are this low, you can eat crappy food with little nutrition and high calories...but if you do so, you'll realize your having to restrict portions to meet your goals. You will quickly learn that healthier foods can be eaten in larger quantities and you will begin to make healthier choices.

What you are asking for- a diet plan- I would say find someone who was where you are and got to a place you want to be, and ask to look at their diary. For my first year, my lunch was an orange and a tablespoon of chocolate chips. It worked for me, but that might not work for you.... Everyone has to blaze their own path....